Cranking Power - Core 50 vs. Steez

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
STEEZMAN2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Cranking Power - Core 50 vs. Steez

Post by STEEZMAN2 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:09 pm

Another question for those in the know. I have only handled, not fished a Core 50.

Many people say that the Core 100 has supreme cranking power over the steez. Does this hold up for the 50??

StonedCL
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Cranking Power - Core 50 vs. Steez

Post by StonedCL » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:17 pm

I have both but just started fishing baitcasters..
I,had the core 50 for a month and the steez for a week only fished it 2 times and only cought 1 fish on the steez and many on the core.. I think the core does have more cranking power then the steez..
I got the core to learn on and saw the steez on sale for a great price so I jumped on it thinking it would dominate the core.. But so far the core cast further and more accurate but the steez has actually been good with me not getting birdsnest which seems weird because everyone says it is finicky but is going well for me.. Maybe I can't cast as far yet because I am not used to it and have the brakes on 7-8 so far..

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:21 pm

Have both and much prefer the core51mg7. For the $ I'd get a Pixy R.

Eric Walsh
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Eric Walsh » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:35 am

It may depend on the Steez gear ratio if comparing these two reels as the 6.3:1 Steez has an edge on
the 7:1 Steez in the torque department IMO. Both reels have been a pleasure for me. :D

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:21 am

StonedCL wrote:I have both but just started fishing baitcasters..
I,had the core 50 for a month and the steez for a week only fished it 2 times and only cought 1 fish on the steez and many on the core.. I think the core does have more cranking power then the steez..
I got the core to learn on and saw the steez on sale for a great price so I jumped on it thinking it would dominate the core.. But so far the core cast further and more accurate but the steez has actually been good with me not getting birdsnest which seems weird because everyone says it is finicky but is going well for me.. Maybe I can't cast as far yet because I am not used to it and have the brakes on 7-8 so far..
May be you could add some details to complete your statement like which steez are you using. 103 or 100? 7.1 or 6.3?

Concerning the brake settings, you can use also the tension knob. With the tension knob set correctly, you can really lower the mag brakes to 3,4 or 5 depending on the lure and really get some distance. Plus, if well adjusted (tension knob) you get not only more distance but the spool even stops when the lure hits the water. No need for thumbing. :big grin:

StonedCL
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StonedCL » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:31 am

I have the 100hla AND LIKE I said i just got into baitcasting a couple months ago and maybee fished baitcasters a total of 5 days 14 Hours total and the steez maybee 2 hours soo far..

fishsmart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishsmart » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:15 am

If you don't have to thumb the spool, you are losing casting distance. If you don't want to thumb the spool, it's your choice.

Charles