Lets talk Spools and Light Crankbaits

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
yogidozer1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Lets talk Spools and Light Crankbaits

Post by yogidozer1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:26 am

I believe what you are saying, spookybaits. but for 5-650 dollars, I'l just bring along a spinning reel when I'm throwing flatfish or similar. Most CB are no problem with a BC, it's those "windy" flats that are such a problem. Awesome beautiful reels though---

Tennanah
Angler
Angler

Post by Tennanah » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:57 pm

I have two spinning set-ups I use for Light plastics and light to medium lures. I can also use my Curado 51E with a six-foot rod for short casting situations. I would definetly suggest a spinning outfit

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:40 pm

I year ago I would have said go with a spinning outfit but now that I have PX68R I'd rather sacrifice a little distance or ease of comfort for the pure pleasure of throwing such a light outfit. Something to consider is 10# Braid plus a 10# Fluoro leader if going below 10#s is an issue. Can't get much thinner then 10# braid compared to mono and will help tremendously on those long hook sets.

If the spool doesn't workout then just get a Pixie. I wouldn't even bother changing the bearings the thing is so amazing. BTW, I'm not a finesse fisherman so for me to be impressed by such a little reel say a ton about it. Most days you'll catch me chucking heavy stuff with my Z.

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:59 pm

jwfflipper wrote:I agree and disagree about the thought of lighter spools. I use my Sols TD-Xs and even my old school Daiwa Prolites PL100.
I will throw my flatsided baits with any of these reels and never have a problem with distance and my baits are all balsa.

Jeff
Wow! I hadn't heard the Daiwa Prolite come up in ages! I have 2 of them and they have been my "go to" reels for light crankbaits for years! Haven't even lubed those suckers, either!

Just got a SOL and really like it for the small cranks. My crankbaits are also all balsa.....gotta have high floaters in these Cypress Swamps!

Lake Charles is just a hop, skip from me in Springfield! Heard good fishing there!

q1w2e3_89
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by q1w2e3_89 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:45 pm

If your concern is wind, I'd go with a spinning reel. However, if you decide to go with a baitcasting reel, a light spool is the way to go. The reason is that you'll need a light spool to start up fast enough for the lure to fly. The wind can be taken into account simply by adjusting brakes. A heavy spool will do you no good if the bait takes up a lot of energy to begin flying.

runmax07
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by runmax07 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:47 am

I agree with you Ohiobasschamp.........For some reason spinning tackle doesn't receive the play for throwing 1/8 ounce baits...Its funny how saltwater fisherman use heavy spinning tackle in thick cover to catch redfish, snook and drum...etc . IMO is a powerful 6'6" rod with a 3000 spinning reel series is more powerful than a bait caster of equal weight. A 1000 series spinning reel can match a baitcaster of equal weight. Have any of you watched the Aussie Bass fishing championships. Notice the spinning tackle being utilized to throw lightweight crankbaits with light line.

jwfflipper
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:07 pm

Silas wrote:
jwfflipper wrote:I agree and disagree about the thought of lighter spools. I use my Sols TD-Xs and even my old school Daiwa Prolites PL100.
I will throw my flatsided baits with any of these reels and never have a problem with distance and my baits are all balsa.

Jeff
Wow! I hadn't heard the Daiwa Prolite come up in ages! I have 2 of them and they have been my "go to" reels for light crankbaits for years! Haven't even lubed those suckers, either!

Just got a SOL and really like it for the small cranks. My crankbaits are also all balsa.....gotta have high floaters in these Cypress Swamps!

Lake Charles is just a hop, skip from me in Springfield! Heard good fishing there!
I just bought two more off of the auction site and they are rigged and ready. I feel that the fish are seeing the "higher gear ratios" too much and found that i and having a better catch ratio with the lower gears. I haven't fished alot since moving here in June, working way too much!! But have caught a few so far. I also use fiberglass rods which I feel is the right choice for me.

Jeff