Okay let's hear it.. Abu Garcia or Lew's?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Okay let's hear it.. Abu Garcia or Lew's?

Post by Pegasus » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:11 pm

Native wrote:Really can't detect much diff. between the Gen 2 Premier and SX (or the MGX for that matter) and the Team or Tournament Pro. All of mine seem to be butter smooth and casting maniacs but I use slightly higher viscosity oils like the newer Penn synthetic oil (don't laugh but thickers always better in my book, lol ) on my bearings and the old Penn tube lube for the line guides and tension guides. If I had to make a choice it would have to be the Lew's Team by a nose over the Premier.
If that is the case why did you even bother to buy an MGX you should have stuck with the SX and saved a lot of money
it doesn't make sense.

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:47 pm

The Abu's came before the Lew's; the Abu's were being compared to the two Lews bought later. Sorry if it's unclear.

lipsnatcher
Angler
Angler

Post by lipsnatcher » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:04 am

I fished with a stx for about four years and then bought a Lews tourney pro. I now own all Lews tourney pro reels. I have to give it to Lews.

bladerunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bladerunner » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:05 pm

Big Al wrote:Both reels made by the same company. Cosmetically, your choice.
HUH?

Please explain in detail. Since when is Lews a Pure Fishing brand?

mdesouza
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mdesouza » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:18 pm

bladerunner wrote:
HUH?

Lew's are not owned by pure fishing, but both PF and Lew's use the same manufacturing plant in Korea to build their reels. I believe so does BPS as well.

Mike D

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:53 pm

mdesouza wrote:
bladerunner wrote:
HUH?

Lew's are not owned by pure fishing, but both PF and Lew's use the same manufacturing plant in Korea to build their reels. I believe so does BPS as well.

Mike D
Browning too......

set_da_hook
Angler
Angler

Post by set_da_hook » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:05 am

lipsnatcher wrote:I fished with a stx for about four years and then bought a Lews tourney pro. I now own all Lews tourney pro reels. I have to give it to Lews.

The Tourney Pros rock! Even the lowest priced laser mg speed spool is an amazing reel for the price, well, except for the graphite frame that flexes under load. I have been using a Tourney Pro in the bays here in San Diego and it is holding up amazingly well. I compare the casting distance to the previous model Revo Premier maybe even a little better. You know what's funny, the a laser mg at $79.99 casts better than the TP and the premier but that frame flex drives me nuts.

J8KE
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by J8KE » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:41 am

Honestly they both make great reels it all depends on what you spend i bought an abu garcia revo mgx and paid close to $400 on it I also bought a lews tournament MP LFS for 150 both peform awesome, cast a mile, and smooth as can be, the revo is definitely more light weight, it still hard for me to make a decision on which I wanna use, but I've also bought $60 lews xfinity and its complete crap had that been my first lews reel i would prolly have never bought another lews, you buy the higher end reels you won't be disappointed from either brand.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:26 pm

This is a super easy....Shimano!
Philippians 4:6

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:24 am

No comparison. Ever.
One company has produced some of the most sought after reels in history. Several books have been written just about ABU reels.
Lews who?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:59 pm

I agree that it's ABU traditionally, but with them having been forced to move all production (except for the Ambassador, I think) to Doyo, and with Lews reels being made in the same place, I think the gap isn't really there anymore. So much stuff gets consolidated and samey even if ABU doesn't intend it. And of course other reels in the Pure Fishing family pick up from it, as well - the Pflueger Patriarch BCs were very thinly vailed Revos.

That said, I still prefer ABU over Lews, ABU has better taste in my mind :) And I bulk-bought a lot of discounted Patriarchs when they were discontinued because they're legitimately good reels; in my mind they're just Revos with different styling.

I don't understand the need to discredit the choices being discussed by recommending something completely different, btw. Yeah, Shimano is great. But why do we need to hear about that in a ABU vs Lews thread? It's like gate-crashing a "Guns n Roses or ACDC?" thread with "You should all listen to Metallica!" :)

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:47 pm

Tier 1- Shimano/Daiwa/Megabass
Tier 2- Abu
Tier 3- Quantum/13fishing/Lews/Okuma/Plueger when they made proper reels
Tier 4 - The OOF tier: KastKing, ZPI Alcance, Favorite, Pischifun, Ardent

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:48 pm

Disregard what I wrote and go with Drakestar. Beer is on me.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:40 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:24 am
No comparison. Ever.
One company has produced some of the most sought after reels in history. Several books have been written just about ABU reels.
Lews who?
Lew Childre to be exact. While I don’t disagree with you, Childre’s exploration of quality components in Japan and marrying the US/Japanese markets is actually quite an interesting history also.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:43 am

Ryobi? ;)
<")))><{