Okay let's hear it.. Abu Garcia or Lew's?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mprestonSEK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Okay let's hear it.. Abu Garcia or Lew's?

Post by mprestonSEK » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:01 pm

Opinions on what company has produced the better line of reels?

garuda
Angler
Angler

Re: Okay let's hear it.. Abu Garcia or Lew's?

Post by garuda » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:17 pm

I faced this exact decision recently at a tackle store. I went in prepared to purchase a couple of LEW'S reels and they just received a shipment of the latest generation Abu Revos. I ended up buying the Revo STX! They felt equally smooth in hand, but the weight difference in hand was significant so I had to go with the Revo.

Big Al
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Big Al » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:44 am

Both reels made by the same company. Cosmetically, your choice.

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:15 am

Bought several Revo Premier Gen 2's recently, and so far I am very pleased with them.
I'm thinking of using my Premier Gen 2's for horizontal baits, such as spinnerbaits/cranbaits, and getting the lighter/smaller Revo STX Gen 3's for pitching.
The Gen 2 Premiers are a solid reel, and I've been using mine for techniques I mentioned above because of how solid they feel.
I did try a Lews Speed Spool Tourney Pro for spinnerbaits, side by side with a Gen 2 Premier (both 6.4:1 ratio reels), and I will say there was a noticable difference in feel between those 2 reels. The Lews seemed to struggle a little, under a load compared to the stronger feeling Premier.
I think the Lews Tourney Pro would make a nice pitching reel, as I do like a little smaller framed reel for this.
When choosing my new pair of pitching reels, I am leaning towards the STX Gen 3 over a pair of Lews Tourney Pros, not sure yet though, but it will be either a pair of STX Gen 3's, or Lews Tourney Pros.

mprestonSEK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mprestonSEK » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:50 pm

garuda wrote:I faced this exact decision recently at a tackle store. I went in prepared to purchase a couple of LEW'S reels and they just received a shipment of the latest generation Abu Revos. I ended up buying the Revo STX! They felt equally smooth in hand, but the weight difference in hand was significant so I had to go with the Revo.

I really want to get the new STX. I have a gen 2 STX and it is a solid and dependable reel. The new STX seems like the reel to get to me simply because I know that the dual breaking system is amazing.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:26 pm

If they made the Lews top end reel in a left hand retrieve I would probably go for it.
I have doubts on the generation 3 Revos with C6 side plates.

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:42 pm

I've had many a Revo & a couple Tourney Pros & I like the Revos(STXes, Premiers, & Winches) better. Can't really say a lot about my Gen 3 STX-SHSes yet, as I got them last week, partied all weekend, and been sick all this week. Feels nice in hand & palms noticeably smaller, but not quite a smooth as the Gen 2 STX & Premiers going by my early impressions.

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:24 am

Since the gen3 Revo stx's are lighter than the tourney pro I'd opt for a stx.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:02 am

Both are great reels and I've worked on a TON of lews..
The new revos are impressive as well..
Whatever fits in hand better.. 8-)

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:46 am

I want to try one of the new STX's now!

teddysmith7272
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by teddysmith7272 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:36 am

Lew's are great I have the speed spool and the Tourney Pro. I liked the speed spool but it was a little heavy for me since I am used to fishing the Chronarch 50mgs (sad they no longer make them). But once I got the Tourney Pro I put my speed spool on the shelf. The tourney pro is just easier to fine tune and the lower weight makes it easier to fish all day with no hand strain.

I am considering getting their top of the line $300 reel that is 5.9 oz they have it for pre-order on tacklewarehouse.

Both reels are good for all-purpose duties, but like I said the Tourney Pro responds better to fine tuning and is lighter.

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:11 am

OhioChamp183 wrote:Bought several Revo Premier Gen 2's recently, and so far I am very pleased with them.
I'm thinking of using my Premier Gen 2's for horizontal baits, such as spinnerbaits/cranbaits, and getting the lighter/smaller Revo STX Gen 3's for pitching.
The Gen 2 Premiers are a solid reel, and I've been using mine for techniques I mentioned above because of how solid they feel.
I did try a Lews Speed Spool Tourney Pro for spinnerbaits, side by side with a Gen 2 Premier (both 6.4:1 ratio reels), and I will say there was a noticable difference in feel between those 2 reels. The Lews seemed to struggle a little, under a load compared to the stronger feeling Premier.
I think the Lews Tourney Pro would make a nice pitching reel, as I do like a little smaller framed reel for this.
When choosing my new pair of pitching reels, I am leaning towards the STX Gen 3 over a pair of Lews Tourney Pros, not sure yet though, but it will be either a pair of STX Gen 3's, or Lews Tourney Pros.

decided on a pair of 7.1:1 lews TP's :big grin:

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:52 pm

KCL655321 wrote:I've had many a Revo & a couple Tourney Pros & I like the Revos(STXes, Premiers, & Winches) better. Can't really say a lot about my Gen 3 STX-SHSes yet, as I got them last week, partied all weekend, and been sick all this week. Feels nice in hand & palms noticeably smaller, but not quite a smooth as the Gen 2 STX & Premiers going by my early impressions.
It will never be as smooth as the Gen. 2 because of the gears material even though they have upgraded the BB
brass gears have a much better feel and quietness aluminum will never have.

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:09 am

Really can't detect much diff. between the Gen 2 Premier and SX (or the MGX for that matter) and the Team or Tournament Pro. All of mine seem to be butter smooth and casting maniacs but I use slightly higher viscosity oils like the newer Penn synthetic oil (don't laugh but thickers always better in my book, lol ) on my bearings and the old Penn tube lube for the line guides and tension guides. If I had to make a choice it would have to be the Lew's Team by a nose over the Premier.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:42 am

Depending on techniques one plans on using the reel for, one may want to consider the max drag. That aside, I would choose the reel that fits my hand better -