Core 50 MG7 vs. Revo MGX

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Core 50 MG7 vs. Revo MGX

Post by cumara » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:27 am

Hello, I've been fishing a Core 50 for years now and it still impresses me every time I use it. I love the light weight, ergonomics, and ability to cast and pitch light baits. I'm looking to add another reel, and wondering about the MGX. I've held the MGX in the store but haven't fished it. The size/shape/weight seems good, but I've seen some people mention that the braking system is not their favorite. I can cast an 1/8 oz jig on the Core no problem, how does the MGX compare? Thanks for your input.

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Core 50 MG7 vs. Revo MGX

Post by thelatrobe33 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:38 am

The longevity of the flying break arms is what concerns me most. I've already seen some pictures of broken ones. Besides that concern it sure does feel nice in hand. I'd stick with the tried and true Core which you can find for considerably less than a MGX. I paid $250 when I bought my Core 50.

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:59 am

the core is the better reel for the $, if you are spending $300+ get a core.

the mgx isn't a bad reel but not worth $350, $250 maybe.

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:16 pm

thelatrobe33 wrote:I'd stick with the tried and true Core which you can find for considerably less than a MGX. I paid $250 when I bought my Core 50.
MGX's can be had in that range as well. I paid $260 for mine & that was when they first started hitting eBay. There was a bunch going for $230-240 last month BIN, but Pure must've cracked the whip because the stores that had those prices are back in the $270 range last I checked.

As for which I'd take, I'm an Abu whore, but it'd be a toss-up for me. The Core & Chronarch D series reels from Shimano are the only reels that really tempt me outside of Revos & I'm not exactly blown away by my MGX, so it'd be a toss-up between the two for me.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:24 pm

I have both. I'd owned the core 50 at least a couple of years before I got the MGX. The core is just a great little reel. Hard to say anything bad about it. I like Abu products a lot too, but held off on the MGX because I read the mixed reviews on the IVCB brakes as well. But I finally just had to see for myself. I tried real hard to like it. It does feel nice in hand. But the brakes are just not as good/flexible as the Core 50, or the 4 Gen2 Premiers I already owned. I have Orange Seal bearings in the Core and the MGX.

The MGX now lives below decks as an emergency spare reel, and I've since bought another Core 50, if that tells you anything.

BRbasser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BRbasser » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:27 pm

The Core 50 can be bought online now brand new in the $280.00 range. I have two of them and they are smooth as silk.

frogman1963
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by frogman1963 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:17 am

X2 on the Core, didnt like IVCB on MGX

fishsmart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishsmart » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:11 am

After I switched to Core 50mg7's, I noticed how much time I have saved as I no longer read about other "superior" reels.

Charles

StonedCL
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StonedCL » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:53 am

when I was buying my first casting reel I did alot of research and ended up with a core.. I really wanted the MGX but the more I read about it the more I just could not justify getting it.. I love my core and since bought a Steez because I got a great deal.. (It cost $50 more then I paid for my core and I got the core for $279 shipped) I think that I like the core more but still have not used then enough to make a fair comparison. I will have both reels supertuned in the winter by ian so I can't wait.. I was about to get a Alpha Ito on the bay but someone beat me to it and I am kicking myself for not buying it.. I am currently looking for one more setup.. the pole will prob be NRX 893 for senko and will prob put my steez or core on it move the other reel to the NRX 803 and I have a Mossyback 852 that will need a reel so i was think a Gen3 STX since everyone likes the breaking system better then the one ion the MGX and new Premier and the new STX weighs less then the outgoing premier!

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:48 pm

I also have both. I think they are both great reels but I prefer the core50mg7. I feel it is more versatile than the Revo MGX especially for the SW fishing crowd as the warrantee does not void when used in salt ( AUDM ). Saying that the MGX has had no problems with SW use either. I agree with most comments that the SVS braking system has a better range than the MGX and definitely more foolproof and require less tuning while changing bait weights.

Both reels offer significant tuning options including shallow spools, drag, etc however the Shimano also have access to avail mag brakes to be used in conjuction with their shallow spools.

When I travel light I take the core 50 with 2 rods, one for BFS applications and one for larger baits.
along with that it is accompanied by a travel kit with shallow spools, different drag washer and casting brakes.
It takes me minutes to convert it to suit my needs from casting 2.5gram (1/12oz I think) to 3/4oz topwaters.
Outfitted for BFS ( Avail spool 9029+ Avail brakes + PE0.6) it outcasts a stock CQ50s and in my experiences Pixy type Rs.

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cumara » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:24 am

Thank you for the excellent feedback everyone! Very helpful, especially the performance comparison of the braking systems. Seems like a pretty unanimous decision for another Core.