tdz100m spool

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

tdz100m spool

Post by Pegasus » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:27 am

I was told that this spool would revolutionize my zillion and turn it into a light bait casting machine can somebody give me a realistic expectation since the spool is about 75.00 .

Regards

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: tdz100m spool

Post by thelatrobe33 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:59 am

I have one for my Zillion 50th and I love it. It's a definite improvement over the stock Zillion spool. The real advantage to the spool in my eyes is in pitching applications. I use mine with 50# braid pitching jigs.

I don't know that I'd say it will turn your Zillion into a finesse reel though. It is a lighter spool than stock. How light of baits are you talking?

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:25 am

thelatrobe33 wrote:I have one for my Zillion 50th and I love it. It's a definite improvement over the stock Zillion spool. The real advantage to the spool in my eyes is in pitching applications. I use mine with 50# braid pitching jigs.

I don't know that I'd say it will turn your Zillion into a finesse reel though. It is a lighter spool than stock. How light of baits are you talking?
1/4 oz. - 3/8 oz.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:27 am

thelatrobe33 wrote:I have one for my Zillion 50th and I love it. It's a definite improvement over the stock Zillion spool. The real advantage to the spool in my eyes is in pitching applications. I use mine with 50# braid pitching jigs.

Would this be a shallow spool as well

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:39 pm

Not a shallow spool by any means. You can get about 120yds of 12lb line. I used this in a Fuego for awhile and loved it for pitching but I don't think that I would consider this a spool for light baits. I have a Hyper Cast PE spool in my Zillion 50th now and that spool can casts 3/16th oz baits and it is definitely a shallow spool. I can't cast 3/16thoz baits very far and only tried it once when I bought it. It is a pitching and flipping machine. I have heard that the Zillion Dream spool is the lightest and I would assume that if you are looking for a light lure casting spool this would be it.

100M normal line capacity -15grams
Hypercast closer to a deep spool -13grams
Hypercast PE shallow spool - 12grams
JD Dream a little less than a normal spool - I think I heard 10 or 11grams

All that being said for pitching and flipping purposes the 100M spool you wouldn't be dissappointed. Just not a light lure spool.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:09 pm

It shines when pitching. It definitely has more range than a stock spool but will not make your Zillion a finesse reel.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:40 pm

The 100m spool will make a noticeable difference in both casting and pitching 1/4 to 3/8 oz lures over the stock Zillion spool. Is it worth the price? I think so as the Zillions I own (except for the Deps) have 100m spools installed and I'm very happy with the performance gains across the board. We keep them in stock in case you decide you want one!

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:01 am

Do you know how much this spool cost ? since I am already in for 320.00 in this reel.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:26 am

Finnz922 wrote:Not a shallow spool by any means. You can get about 120yds of 12lb line. I used this in a Fuego for awhile and loved it for pitching but I don't think that I would consider this a spool for light baits. I have a Hyper Cast PE spool in my Zillion 50th now and that spool can casts 3/16th oz baits and it is definitely a shallow spool. I can't cast 3/16thoz baits very far and only tried it once when I bought it. It is a pitching and flipping machine. I have heard that the Zillion Dream spool is the lightest and I would assume that if you are looking for a light lure casting spool this would be it.

All that being said for pitching and flipping purposes the 100M spool you wouldn't be dissappointed. Just not a light lure spool.
I saw this spool on line Hypercast PE shallow spool - 12grams looks very shallow I use 16lb. sunline supermatural mono 33mm. diameter just wondering how many yds. could I get on this spool.
I have a Shimano D7 that comes with a shallow spool is it comparable to the Hypercast PE ?
Last edited by Pegasus on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:29 am

bronzefly wrote:The 100m spool will make a noticeable difference in both casting and pitching 1/4 to 3/8 oz lures over the stock Zillion spool. Is it worth the price? I think so as the Zillions I own (except for the Deps) have 100m spools installed and I'm very happy with the performance gains across the board. We keep them in stock in case you decide you want one!
Would you happen to know how much the stock spool weighs ?

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:16 pm

Pegasus wrote:
bronzefly wrote:The 100m spool will make a noticeable difference in both casting and pitching 1/4 to 3/8 oz lures over the stock Zillion spool. Is it worth the price? I think so as the Zillions I own (except for the Deps) have 100m spools installed and I'm very happy with the performance gains across the board. We keep them in stock in case you decide you want one!
Would you happen to know how much the stock spool weighs ?
20 grams.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:14 am

I just got 2 from Tackel Trap for 74.99 each.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:06 pm

Pegasus wrote:
Finnz922 wrote:Not a shallow spool by any means. You can get about 120yds of 12lb line. I used this in a Fuego for awhile and loved it for pitching but I don't think that I would consider this a spool for light baits. I have a Hyper Cast PE spool in my Zillion 50th now and that spool can casts 3/16th oz baits and it is definitely a shallow spool. I can't cast 3/16thoz baits very far and only tried it once when I bought it. It is a pitching and flipping machine. I have heard that the Zillion Dream spool is the lightest and I would assume that if you are looking for a light lure casting spool this would be it.

I saw this spool on line Hypercast PE shallow spool - 12grams looks very shallow I use 16lb. sunline supermatural mono 33mm. diameter just wondering how many yds. could I get on this spool.
I have a Shimano D7 that comes with a shallow spool is it comparable to the Hypercast PE ?

I don't believe that you would get that many yards of 16lb. Maybe 35-45yds but I would imagine that is enough it is for flipping or short pitching. I run 65lb braid and suspect that I have 75yds on it. As far as your D7 I am not familiar with it or spools for it since I have never fished one or owned one.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:06 pm

I got the spool from Tackle Trap and loaded it on my JD 5.3 with 65# braid and was spooling every cast with a 3/4 oz SB. Not that it wouldn't have done it with the JD spool but I could see a difference over the stock R and CC which is what I purchased it for. Outside of paying the extra cash for the Hyper Long cast this is a worthy upgrade to most Zillions. Not sure yet how it stacks up against the JD because I don't throw finesse with either spool and haven't taken either pitching. Plus, when I do I doubt I'll use anything lighter then 1 oz so I'm the wrong guy for that type of a review. Regardless, it's worth the $75 upgrade and I haven't even changed the bearings although I did purchase it with the spool.
Last edited by GARRIGA on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:58 am

Finnz922 wrote:
Pegasus wrote:

I don't believe that you would get that many yards of 16lb. Maybe 35-45yds but I would imagine that is enough it is for flipping or short pitching. I run 65lb braid and suspect that I have 75yds on it. As far as your D7 I am not familiar with it or spools for it since I have never fished one or owned one.
Maybe I didn't specify I wouldn't be using this spool for pitching I would be using it for casting . According to the specs my D7 holds 90 yds of 14lb mono they didn't specify diameter but I think it would be around .033 - .035 I was able to find Sunline S.N. 16lb @ .033 so I think I spool at least 75 yds on to it . The Hypercast looks really shallow is it specifically made for pitching or just to hold light line ?