Best casting Daiwa reel?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best casting Daiwa reel?

Post by njbasscat » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:21 am

new2BC4bass wrote:I do happen to have a Sol and an Alphas ito. Also have a TD-Z 103ML on the way, so I do have a couple reels suggested by the experts. :big grin:

No one mentioned the Fuego, but I know of 2-3 guys who throw some pretty light weights with theirs. I like mine a lot. So far I am more apt to use mine as all-around reels more so than any of my other Daiwas.
If you like your Fuego, you will love the TDZ. They share the same platform but the TDZ is more refined and much smoother on the cast and retrieve.

LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by LPFC » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:15 pm

The Alphas Ito is really nice from 1/8 to 1/2
The T3B is really nice from 3/8 to 1
TDZ103H could be sandwiched right inbetween these 2.

I give the T3B a slight edge. I think it's slightly better overall. You can make adjustments with the switch for different conditions. So for any weather condition the T3B is better. That is why I choose the T3B.

You can't go wrong with any of those reels.

Daiwa reels I have either owned or used, Zillion, Steez 103, Capricorn, TDZ103H, Sol, Alphas Ito, Fuego, Viento, Liberto Pixy Yellow \:D/
Last edited by LPFC on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:25 pm

Zillion HLC
T3
Daiwa Td Ito
Pixy

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:40 am

T3-1016 and Steez for all around. I have these reels - Pixilla Orange, Pixy Type-R, Zillion Type-R, Zillion (all speeds), Zillion 50th, Fuego, T3-Ballistic, Alphas 103, Alphas Ito 103ai, and Sol. By far the best "All-Around" casting reel, I would give that crown to the T3-1016 with the Steez coming in second with the Alphas/SOl third. The RCS 1016 Spool makes a huge difference!! Throw that spool into my Fuego or Zillions and that reel is now able to cast down to 1/8th oz and upwards past 1/2 oz. The Alphas and Sol are the best bang for the buck with ABEC7 upgrades. The upgraded Alphas/Sol are more consistent casting reels vs the Steez and T3-1016 and is more user friendly for newer or less experienced people. As stated in other threads, the Steez and T3-1016 are a bit ore finicky and will be better suited for advance or experienced people with baitcasters. But as far as light stuff under 1/4oz, I give the crown to the Pixies. But bombing lures well over 1/2 oz...the Zillions win! That is how I separate Diawa's reels. Thus I own all the reels in each spectrum. The only reel I have not had much experience with are the TDZ's. Owned a TDZ 103H for less than 3 months back in 2006 - sold it for a Quantum TE1170PT Burner ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) . Wished I would hae kept it. The only reels I have very little experience with are the TDZ's.

So if the question is "Which is the most well balanced best casting daiwa reel?". My answer would be T3-1016 and Steez. But if the question becomes "Which is the best Daiwa reel for 1/4oz and under?" or "Which is the best Daiwa reel for 1/2oz and heavier?"...there are different answers.

branover
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by branover » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:44 am

Of the Daiwa reels I own, T3, Z200, Steez 100, Px Type R, Zillion Type R and Sol, I think I would say the PX is my favorite to cast. I use mainly braid on my reels with a leader. Don't get me wrong they all cast a mile but I use them for different things obviously. The Z probably cast the furthest, but I use that for a lot of heavier lures.
I agree with the previous post that the T3 and the Steez are close. The Steez is amazing all around both casting and retrieve.
They're all great reels, I guess it depends on what lures, line, rod your using.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:32 am

I should note, my post is relative to "My" Daiwa reels I own. If Garriga had anything to say, he'd probably throw out my Zillions and put in place of it the Z200/Z2020 for bombing lures from the US shore to the African shore. :mrgreen:

I would also like to state, the TDZ's basically split into two types of reels when Diawa discontinued them. TDZ 103/Type R+ turned into the Steez. While the TDZ 100 turned into the Zillions. So from that assessment, I would venture to say if you wanted similar performance to that of the Steez for under $300 a TDZ 103/Type R+ can be had - it would be nice if soeone can confirm the performace between a TDZ 103 and Steez 103. I have seen TDZ 103M/H go for as low as $150 while the TDZ Type-R+ tends to stay well over $250.

Scorpio
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Scorpio » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:07 am

This is the order I would place them in for all around performance:

T-3 (1016)
TDZ 105
pixilla
Steez 100
alphas

LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by LPFC » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:22 pm

Buck2thPerch wrote:I should note, my post is relative to "My" Daiwa reels I own. If Garriga had anything to say, he'd probably throw out my Zillions and put in place of it the Z200/Z2020 for bombing lures from the US shore to the African shore. :mrgreen:

I would also like to state, the TDZ's basically split into two types of reels when Diawa discontinued them. TDZ 103/Type R+ turned into the Steez. While the TDZ 100 turned into the Zillions. So from that assessment, I would venture to say if you wanted similar performance to that of the Steez for under $300 a TDZ 103/Type R+ can be had - it would be nice if soeone can confirm the performace between a TDZ 103 and Steez 103. I have seen TDZ 103M/H go for as low as $150 while the TDZ Type-R+ tends to stay well over $250.
I have 2 TDZ103H's. Both have upgrade bearings, not sure what they are though. One has the fixed inductor mod. I have owned a Steez 103 and still use one once in a while. A friend has one.
The TDZ with the fixed inductor is a better caster than the Steez. The Steez feels better in hand but the TDZ will flat out outcast the Steez and it doesn't have any of the "Squirrellynes" on the Steez 103.
So I feel that an upgraded TDZ is better than a Steez overall. To me the only advantage the Steez has is that it feels better. More comfortable to palm and lighter to hold. The TDZ is light just not as light as the Steez.
Last edited by LPFC on Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:56 pm

A lot more good information. Thanks. :mrgreen:

My TD-Z 103ML arrived today, and the new-to-me Zillion 100SHLA arrived 2 days ago. Now to figure out what line to use on both and which rods to mount them on. Maybe I'll get lucky and have a chance to try them out one day this weekend. Without looking, I think that brings my Daiwa reel total up to 11. Unfortunately none are among Daiwa's high end of what is available today.

I appreciate the assessments of various models by those of you with a decent amount of actual experience with the reels.

caltrey
Angler
Angler

Post by caltrey » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:01 pm

Great comments and analysis for anglers such as myself who havent used all models :!:

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:49 pm

njbasscat wrote:If you like your Fuego, you will love the TDZ. They share the same platform but the TDZ is more refined and much smoother on the cast and retrieve.
To be a little more precise, the Fuego and the TD-Z 100M share the same platform. With that being said, you can make a Fuego a crazy-good caster with the simple addition of a TD-Z 100M spool. The 100M spool will also fit a Zillion and makes it much better in the 1/4 oz. range. The spool will also lighten your Zillion a bit. \:D/ The Tackle Trap has the 100M spools in stock.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:56 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
njbasscat wrote:If you like your Fuego, you will love the TDZ. They share the same platform but the TDZ is more refined and much smoother on the cast and retrieve.
To be a little more precise, the Fuego and the TD-Z 100M share the same platform. With that being said, you can make a Fuego a crazy-good caster with the simple addition of a TD-Z 100M spool. The 100M spool will also fit a Zillion and makes it much better in the 1/4 oz. range. The spool will also lighten your Zillion a bit. \:D/ The Tackle Trap has the 100M spools in stock.
Thanks a lot for the information on the spool. I have 3 Fuegos, and would like to upgrade at least one of them. Looks like I need to pick up a couple TD-Z 100M spools. \:D/

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:48 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:The Tackle Trap has the 100M spools in stock.
i just checked and can't find the 100M spools anywhere on the the tackletrap website. how much were they selling for?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:57 pm

$73.99. Here is a link:
http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... ts_id=2943
Don't forget the "TT10" code for 10% off. Add a little additional something for a $75 total and shipping is free.
Last edited by hoohoorjoo on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gulfcoastwader
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gulfcoastwader » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:37 pm

My 0.02 (and I currently own and have used all of the reels below):

Tie for #1:

#1a. T3
#1b. TDZ with RCS (T3) spool

#2. Zillion with HLC spool

#3. TDX 103's with upgraded bearings and Rocket Fuel

Also, the TackleTrap is a great place to buy from (i.e. 100M spools); I have done so and will do so again.