Best casting Daiwa reel?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Best casting Daiwa reel?

Post by new2BC4bass » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:01 pm

I find that I have been accumulating a few Daiwa baitcasting reels, and was wondering what those of you with lots of experience using various Daiwa models consider to be the best casting reel they have ever made. I suppose to find the 'very best' we would need to include JDM reels. I have to admit that the Steez and other very popular Daiwas (Pixilla, PX 68 and various Type R reels) are beyond my price range. Maybe I should ask which is the best below a certain price! :big grin:

I am hoping that I already have one or two that get a vote. :mrgreen:

My cheapest is a Procaster 100HN when TW was closing them out. Some might think it is a bit large, but I find it easy to palm, and a darn nice reel for the money paid. My most expensive is a used 103HL Type R, and the only reason I stretched my limit that far was because I felt it was worth quite a bit more than the asking price. Of course I could be wrong about that since I am not a reel expert. Pun intended!

I think my oldest Daiwa is the TD-S.

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Best casting Daiwa reel?

Post by sarcazmo » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:49 pm

Curious what the answer is to this as well.

Just bought a couple Team Daiwa Zillions on clearance for CHEAP. Have yet to fish them though.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:38 pm

sarcazmo wrote:Curious what the answer is to this as well.

Just bought a couple Team Daiwa Zillions on clearance for CHEAP. Have yet to fish them though.
I saw your post about getting them. I have a new-to-me Zillion coming as well. Also have a 50th Anniversary Zillion. You will enjoy yours. :mrgreen: Great reel, but don't think the Zillion will make the #1 spot as it is best from 3/8 oz. up....so I have read. Haven't tried lighter because of that statement. Besides I have other Daiwas better suited to weights below 3/8 oz.

caltrey
Angler
Angler

Post by caltrey » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:12 am

I have used the daiwa pixy, zillion, alphas type-r, alphas type-f and a Steez 103HA.

Each of those reels is fantastic to cast. I haven't used many of the lower end reels but in my experience you ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Of the above reels that I mentioned each excel at different areas. I loved the zillion for medium/deep cranking, liked the alphas for lipless baits, shallow cranks and jerkbaits. But overall my favourite is the Steez it handles so many applications so well. Worth the money if you can afford it.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:02 am

Best casting,best bang for your buck.........SOL/ALPHAS :big grin:

frogman1963
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by frogman1963 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:12 am

Where are the zillions on clearance?

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:38 am

All around performance I like the TDZ 103, light weights would be the Pixy. Steez is right up there with the best. I don't have a lot of experience with JDM other than my PX 68.

husonfirst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by husonfirst » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:24 am

My Sol is a great caster but the fact that I tend to use lighter line on it comes into play. Too bad the Sol is no longer being made.

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:55 am

I purchased mine from sportsmans warehouse. I called all the stores in AZ and I think I got the last two. Called the website just to see if I could get another one and they wouldnt honor the price (I didnt really think they would).

Trying to devour as much information about them as I can. I might end up parting with one but I cant wait to fish the othe rone. Lots of great info on this site regarding upgrades etc.

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:56 pm

T3
Alphas (Purple and Type-F)

Those are my best Daiwa casting reels.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:07 pm

Daiwa Sol or Zillion. Although I love my Airy Red Pixy

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:24 pm

Z2020? You do get what you pay for and then some.

summers
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by summers » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:03 pm

I would say the Sol/alphas as well. Best bang for the buck, but now days finding one is going to be a hard.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:06 pm

africanbass wrote:Best casting,best bang for your buck.........SOL/ALPHAS :big grin:
I'm with you, Craig. I absolutely love all my Alphas variants. I think the 105H Finesse Custom is the best caster in the bunch, as far as light baits go. But I rarely fish light baits on it(it is on a 7'1" Cumulus MH), so I put a Red I'ze Factory spool in it. Still a fantastic caster, but now it holds around 150 yds. of 20 lb. braid and will absolutely bomb a 1/4 oz. jig and trailer.
Last edited by hoohoorjoo on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:40 pm

I do happen to have a Sol and an Alphas ito. Also have a TD-Z 103ML on the way, so I do have a couple reels suggested by the experts. :big grin:

No one mentioned the Fuego, but I know of 2-3 guys who throw some pretty light weights with theirs. I like mine a lot. So far I am more apt to use mine as all-around reels more so than any of my other Daiwas.