Third Gen. STX

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mprestonSEK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Third Gen. STX

Post by mprestonSEK » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:45 pm

Who has purchased this reel? How is the performance and what do you like most about it?

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Third Gen. STX

Post by KCL655321 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:42 pm

I've got 2 STX-SHS & I've been pretty happy with them in the limited time I've used them in the last 4-6 weeks. I've been struggling to get on the fish & test it in a fight, but the drag is strong & smooth on a pull test and I'm sure it'll perform just fine in that regard when I can actually hook a decent fish with it. Casting is excellent & easy to dial in. Only complaints I have are it's not quite as smooth as the G2 Premiers(my personal favorite LP reels) & a bit noisier, but it's not a huge difference or enough for me to hold it against the reel. Favorite thing about them is the small profile & light weight, it all but disappears in my hand when palming it & it still feels solid, even with the light weight.

Very good reel from my perspective so far, I'll probably pick up an HS for my Powell Paddletail rod before spring.

tt350z
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tt350z » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:06 pm

I've got the STX-HS-L.

I've just started fishing so the only other reel I've used the the Black Max.

Casting with it's dual brakes is great. If I set it up properly, I can cast into the wind with no issues. It's when I leave the centrifugal brakes off and try casting into the wind that causes the birds nest. As for the drag, it's smooth when I test it by pulling the line out. Haven't hooked a pike big enough that can run off with the line. The micro click drag and cast control are nice as well.

It's much smoother than the Black Max, no comparison. It's also a lot smaller and lighter, although the gearbox is larger and sits lower so it might get in the way of your fingers when you palm it. It doesn't really bother me, just something I've noticed.

I'm looking for a high speed, left hand retrieve, dual brakes and affordable. It certainly delivers for my needs. I wouldn't hesitate on picking up another when the time comes for a new setup.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:17 am

I've been fishing mine since early Sept. I agree with KCL655321's review. It is not quite as smooth as my 4 Gen2 Premiers, for whatever reason. Has a bit of a geary sound to it. Cast control knob takes more force than expected to get the spool speed set, too. But I've been fishing it a lot. Casts really well, light or heavy, into the wind, etc. Impressive reel so far.

Not sure I'll buy anymore, though. It's just not better than the Gen2 Premier. A tiny bit smaller and lighter, but that's not a big issue for me. Not running the reel down. WAY better than my MGX! And I'm glad I bought one. But not a huge leap forward, either.

Scorpio
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Scorpio » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:30 am

I have the Gen 3 STX in the 6.x:1 ratio. It is smooth and light and works pretty good. The performance isn't super great compared to other reels. Sure it casts good into the wind, but I have found that distance suffers...just like all reels that you have to add braking to in those situations. I have T3s (1016) that pretty much blow the STX away from a performance standpoint, but then again, at twice the price. I think from a value standpoint, it is a good reel. Overall, just OK, for me. It kind of reminds me of the Patriarch XT, but the finish on the STX is much worse.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:35 am

i have two, the STX and the STX-SHS. i've only been able to fish with them a handful of times but, so far, so good. my gen2s were smoother feeling but these are still not bad at all...the tradeoff for the smaller size and lighter weight was definitely worth it for me. what does kind of surprise me is that they're not as small as i initially thought...i put the STX's sideplate on my lew's TPSS only to find that the STX is maybe 1/32-inch smaller in every direction. they both sit at about the same height on the rod but the STX's gearbox is noticeably larger and sits lower.

as to your question about what i like best about them, it's the price. abu doesn't have restrictions on what retailers can sell the revos for so i got a sweet deal on mine. plus, the free swag sweatshirt promo...the abu sweatshirts are really nice...super thick and very comfy. otherwise, like most of my other reels, i don't really notice i'm fishing with the STXs (which is a Good Thing, i was cursing under my breath every other cast with the previous-generation SX's).

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:49 pm

i encountered a perplexing problem with my STX yesterday...actually, it was the second time this has happened. the first time, i just thought it was a fluke but it happening two times has me concerned. after one cast, i turn the handle to reengage the spool...only, nothing happened. the handle just spun freely and the spool was still in freespool. it was weird. finally, manually flipped the thumb bar up and everything returned to normal. has anyone else experienced this? note: i have not taken them apart and this only my 5th time using them.

btune
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by btune » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:41 pm

Probably a minor issue. See if you can reproduce the problem at home. Check if it could be from not depressing the thumb bar all the way? That could prevent the gears from reengaging because the reel is not totally disengaged. I suggest you take it back if it continues but it may break in with some use.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:53 am

I've not had that happen on mine. I've had it happen on one or two reels over the years, though. Taking it down and cleaning/properly lubing always fixed it for me. But if it doesn't work for you, Abu/Pure Fishing has great customer support.

Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Quillback » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:08 am

Haven't had it happen on mine either.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:35 am

i remember reading someone else has encountered the same problem but i'm having difficulty finding the posts. perhaps it was in another forum. anyway, it has only happened to me twice out of hundreds and hundreds of casts so me reproducing it at home would be pretty daunting.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:50 am

Maybe you read my post it happened on my zillion after the cast I turned the handle to reengage the spool the handle was turning
but not the spool I sent the reel back and got another one guess what it happened again so I don't know what to make of it it never happened to my Shimano reels.
So I am still debating whether to keep it or not Cabelas has a 90 days returned policy so I have till the first week of Jannuary
if it happens again its going back but then the question comes up what could you possibly get for that price Abu is out maybe
Lews but no Left hand retrieve in their top of the line, and I feel it will be another Abu look alike so what is there really ?