lews tournament pro vs mg - anyone have both?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

lews tournament pro vs mg - anyone have both?

Post by 78Staff » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:40 pm

Thinking about the two reels in the subject. To be honest I was all set to order a tournament pro, but have been reading great reviews of the MG. I understand the primary difference will be braking and reel weight (and price:), but curious if anyone has both and can share their opinion. Seems like the share the same drag rating, both have all the clickies, spool size a bit larger on the MG but will be using braid 90% time so not a big issue there.

Looking at these two reels specifically, because I want 30+ ipt in a LH reel, and will use it mostly for pitching creatures and soft plastics and jigs on a Heavy action Castaway JWH. If casting those I would switch to a different combo so this will be mainly a pitching only setup, really.

mprestonSEK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: lews tournament pro vs mg - anyone have both?

Post by mprestonSEK » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:20 pm

I only have the tournament pro and I absolutely love it. It's by far the best reel that I own. I'm sure that that the MG is a great reel too. Marty Stone uses the MG for his flipping gear.....

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/vlogpage ... de=VLOG187

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:58 pm

Wound up with a 7.3:1 Zillion instead, just a Daiwa guy I guess. No matter what I try I always come back to big D lol.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:22 am

78Staff wrote:Wound up with a 7.3:1 Zillion instead, just a Daiwa guy I guess. No matter what I try I always come back to big D lol.
Crazy - I went into Wholesale Sports with full intent of getting a MG. Low and behold I see they have Zillions for 245.00 dollars, everyday price. The rest is history, but I still plan on getting a Lews a some point and time. The store also had Cores for dirt cheap :-k I also emailed Lews to ask if they were gonna have a left hand version of the new Super Duty. Sounds like they are. It's a step up from the T MG, and looks fantastic!

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:58 am

What is MG?

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:10 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
78Staff wrote:Wound up with a 7.3:1 Zillion instead, just a Daiwa guy I guess. No matter what I try I always come back to big D lol.
Crazy - I went into Wholesale Sports with full intent of getting a MG. Low and behold I see they have Zillions for 245.00 dollars, everyday price.
Great price on the Zillion, too bad they don't do online sales anymore :(
sarcazmo wrote:What is MG?
Lews Tournament MG is lower cost option that only has mag brakes instead of Dual Breaking system like the costlier modesl. MG meaning Magnetic Braking. By all accounts, a very good reel for the money and comes in multiple ratios and a 95mm handle. Lots of guys use them flippping and pitching, and cranking as well it seems.

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:15 am

78Staff wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Crazy - I went into Wholesale Sports with full intent of getting a MG. Low and behold I see they have Zillions for 245.00 dollars, everyday price.
Great price on the Zillion, too bad they don't do online sales anymore :(
sarcazmo wrote:What is MG?
Lews Tournament MG is lower cost option that only has mag brakes instead of Dual Breaking system like the costlier modesl. MG meaning Magnetic Braking. By all accounts, a very good reel for the money and comes in multiple ratios and a 95mm handle. Lots of guys use them flippping and pitching, and cranking as well it seems.
Oh duh lol. Epic brain fart moment there.