I think I have to buy a Calcutta 50b

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

I think I have to buy a Calcutta 50b

Post by Gabriel » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:13 am

I have been DYING to own one of these. I want to slap a 80mm handle on one and use the crap out of it.

I just need to know, can anyone think of a reason not to buy one for 1/4oz and up applications?
I know a cronarch 50e can do the job but I just want it, I can't explain the lust I feel for the 50b.

If you can talk some sense into me I would welcome it.

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: I think I have to buy a Calcutta 50b

Post by zenbassr » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:22 am

Gabriel wrote:I just need to know, can anyone think of a reason not to buy one...
because there's the conquest 50

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:28 am

For NIB $200? I don't think so.

i forgot to mention price matters.

BRbasser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BRbasser » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:36 am

I had that exact same obsession. The tackle shop was out of the 50's so I bought a 100 that day. Now they have the 50 back in stock and I am tempted to buy it also. Something about that small size and the gold color that gets me.

Crackerjack
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crackerjack » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:52 am

Excellent 5:1 cranking reel 15 IPT with a solid forged aluminum platform and brass gearing. Perfect for tossing small baits with ease.

panyafish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by panyafish » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:02 pm

Try to be patient. You can still find the Calcutta 50te or Conquest for sale. Sometimes used ones show up in the Buy and Sell forum or that popular auction site for a good price, although they are getting more expensive. I faced the same problem but eventually picked up a nice used 50te over the summer. There are tons of the 50b around for sale so that option should be there for a while.

BRbasser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BRbasser » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:34 pm

I have only the 100b and caught a very nice 15+ pound redfish off the docks of our condo last week with mine. I know the TE are more expensive and a little nicer but I really don't think you can tell the difference when casting.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:42 pm

Gabriel wrote: I want to slap a 80mm handle on one and use the crap out of it.
Crackerjack wrote: ... 15 IPT.
I have had the desire also ...

But after thinking about changing the handle out from say a 70mm stock (I think) ? to say a 80mm or 84mm I wonder if the time it takes to make a full revolution with the longer handle compared to the shorter stock would percieve it to be slower than 15-16 IPT without speeding up retrieve effort ... ?

15-16 IPT is pretty slow for most of my fishing style already. So im on the fence ... :|

Keep us posted on what ya decide Gabriel !

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:17 pm

zenbassr wrote:
Gabriel wrote:I just need to know, can anyone think of a reason not to buy one...
because there's the conquest 50

BTW Zen ... Best reason ive heard yet ! And very true ! :lol:

Come to think of it that would go from 15'ish to 20'ish on IPT .... :-k

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:18 pm

jpd0144 wrote:
Gabriel wrote: I want to slap a 80mm handle on one and use the crap out of it.
Crackerjack wrote: ... 15 IPT.
I have had the desire also ...

But after thinking about changing the handle out from say a 70mm stock (I think) ? to say a 80mm or 84mm I wonder if the time it takes to make a full revolution with the longer handle compared to the shorter stock would percieve it to be slower than 15-16 IPT without speeding up retrieve effort ... ?

15-16 IPT is pretty slow for most of my fishing style already. So im on the fence ... :|

Keep us posted on what ya decide Gabriel !
Yeah I was thinking about that too, the 80mm might be noticeably slower.

I am going to be using it for finesse and bottom contact stuff so it doesn't need to be super fast. It's going on a 6'6" 8-14lb pole. It is overrated power wise. I would call it a 6-12 max.

Maybe small jerks and little spinnerbaits too.

Crackerjack
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crackerjack » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:28 pm

The 80 mm handle changed nothing regarding IPT. I peeled line off reel and measured at one revolution. The drive gear ratio dictates IPT. Longer handle is only more comfortable reeling.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:55 pm

Crackerjack wrote:The 80 mm handle changed nothing regarding IPT. I peeled line off reel and measured at one revolution. The drive gear ratio dictates IPT. Longer handle is only more comfortable reeling.
I agree one revolution is one revolution ...
The longer handle takes longer to make that revolution without increased speed on my part ...

So my curiosity is if I would have to wind at a faster than I would like speed on this lil gem. Guess the only way ill know is to buy one ... :lol:

But think I'm shifting to a conquest 50 at 20 IPT .

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:14 am

Crackerjack wrote:The 80 mm handle changed nothing regarding IPT. I peeled line off reel and measured at one revolution. The drive gear ratio dictates IPT. Longer handle is only more comfortable reeling.
Yup but my wrist is gonna have to make a slightly wider circle. Not that it matters much since most of my reels are 80mm.

Gonna get one for sure. Soon, very soon.

dgalex
Angler
Angler

Post by dgalex » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:13 am

It's a fun reel but I should point out that 15 inches per turn is much slower than most 5:1 reels. You will not need a longer handle given the "effective" torque of this reel---even for deep-divers---unless you just want one. The problem is when you get a good fish charging toward you.....it's hard to take up the slack quickly with 15 IPT. Other than that though, I love the reel. It's great for slow-rolling BIG spinnerbaits and all kinds of crankbaits---it forces me to slow down when i need to......but you won't be "burning" any baits with this reel.

Oh, and of course it's built like a tank.

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:38 pm

Well I just sent out a modest amount of money to Cracker Jack for one of his upgraded CT50's.

Can't wait until I get it.