Will The Reel Deep Crankers Please Stand UP

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Scuba Scott
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Will The Reel Deep Crankers Please Stand UP

Post by Scuba Scott » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:09 am

Deep cranking has long been my favorite way to fish. I have went through a lot of reels (and rods) over the years looking for the ultimate set up. Speed of the reel seems to be of personal preference and I have always preferred a 20 inches per turn reel. I know others prefer a faster reel and there is a trend for cranking with the upper 20's and 30 inches per turn reels. Although I do not prefer the higher speed reels, I see where at times there are advantages to them. I do like a little higher speed reel (23 inches or so) on a more parabolic rod like glass.

There are 2 reels that I feel are at the top of the list. Shimano Calais APV and the Shimano Chronarch D5 with upgraded 90 mm handle. The APV is unreal in smoothness. Larger handle with power knobs and you can bomb a big Crankbait. It is a little heavy and bigger by today's standards but built like a tank and handles the task perfectly. The D5 is the reel I currently crank with. Very smooth, great casting and power with the heg gearing. I upgraded the handle to an 90mm avail swayback handle and added the bigger power knobs. 4 bearings in the handle.

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:42 am

I have a tuned Calcutta GTB that I use. It is nice. But if I really had the chance I would throw a 200 Conquest. I have always wanted one of these reels and I am setting my sights this winter to get one. If you throw really big or deep crankbaits then the round reels are really great. You will never feel under powered. Plus these reels will last a lifetime if you take care of them.

Crankbaitmaker

mdesouza
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mdesouza » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:21 pm

The Revo Winch (Gen 2) is a tank on steroids. That reel is an absolute brute when fishing deep high resistance baits.

mike D

Lucky1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Lucky1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:40 pm

ALthough I havent used it yet, I picked up a TDZ 103p for this purpose. I am interested to see what others would say about using this reel as a deep cranker. G

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:21 am

Zillion CC paired with a Dobyns 765CB. This will handle the biggest, baddest, and deepest of lures.

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:41 am

I've had my new Calais 100a on the water a few times now. After having sellers remorse over my D5 wasn't sure the 100a could or would be the reel to replace it. While I'm not totally over the D5 the 100a is quite impressive except for the 70mm handle. Casting distance and smoothness definitely is a step up over the D5 but cranking power feels less but will hold judgement until I get the handle replaced. So far I'm very happy with the 100a.

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:08 pm

I use a Ringa SLC on a Kistler LTA with 20lb Suffix 832.

scatter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by scatter » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:25 pm

Curado 200E5. It won the cranking shoot out after all

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:02 pm

A 3.8:1 Daiwa PT33C supertuned and tricked out with abec 9 bearings and a 104mm skeet Reece revo 4bb handle.
8-)

Chronarch D5 & Calais apv would get my 2nd & 3rd vote.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:29 am

Being I don't do much deep cranking, but some, I didn't want to spend a lot on a reel. I'm using a Lews Tournament MG 5:4:1 with ABEC 7 spool bearings. It's actually a really nice reel for 130 bucks, 105 during black friday sales.

Good351
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Good351 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:03 pm

For the deep stuff I've been using a Zillion 50th with 4.9 CC gears. It has worked really well for me. I used a Calais 201-5 last year..I found that reel didn't fit my hand as well as the Zillion.. I think a reel that fits your hand really well is most important..

On my list for next year is a Ryoga 1016L. Cannot believe nobody has mentioned the Pluton/Ryoga..

rumrunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rumrunner » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:34 pm

Lucky1 wrote:ALthough I havent used it yet, I picked up a TDZ 103p for this purpose. I am interested to see what others would say about using this reel as a deep cranker. G
my favorite.It's my lightest cranker.would like to buy more.i still use a curado b 3.8 for the biggest cranks tho