Who has the new BB1?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mprestonSEK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Who has the new BB1?

Post by mprestonSEK » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:20 pm

Anybody have this reel? I ordered one in 6:4:1 and can't wait to get it. If you have it, what do you think about it?

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Who has the new BB1?

Post by sarcazmo » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:45 pm

Just got mine! Got it in the lowest ratio I believe 5:1:1.

It feels really well built! The one thing I did notice is that it is literally packed with grease! Excessively. Havent had a chance to fish it yet (Its been windy and rainy here in AZ) but I'm hoping to get some time with it next week.

Gonna pair mine with a diesel cb rod.

chris c
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chris c » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:04 am

I got 4 of them in about a month ago. They are some of the longest casting reels I have ever owned, especially at that price point. They cast so far in fact, that I actually had to spend a little time getting the centrifugal cast control dialed in. I love mine, worth the wait.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:08 am

I'll have to agree that the BB1 is an impressive distance casting reel for big cranks. I've only thrown deep cranks on it, but it will get them out there without a doubt. We've been selling a lot of BB1's and our customers have been very happy with them so far.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:24 am

sarcazmo wrote:Just got mine! Got it in the lowest ratio I believe 5:1:1.

It feels really well built! The one thing I did notice is that it is literally packed with grease! Excessively. Havent had a chance to fish it yet (Its been windy and rainy here in AZ) but I'm hoping to get some time with it next week.

How do you like them with deep diving cranks or medium cranks? I was going to get a Revo Winch but have heard that they are only decent at casting. Heard great things about the BB's for low gear ratio cranking, especially deep divers with lots of resistance. How is the power, does it nuetralize the resistance of deep divers?

mprestonSEK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mprestonSEK » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:37 am

sarcazmo wrote:Just got mine! Got it in the lowest ratio I believe 5:1:1.

Just got mine too. Its packed with grease too! Gonna have to break it down and take care of that. Besides that it is a great feeling reel. I absolutely love the look and feel of this reel. Very smooth and fluid feeling and fits perfectly in my hand. Can't wait to put it to use!

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:05 pm

i got one too but haven't had a chance to fish with it yet. i think they're gonna be winners.

i forgot who it was but someone else here mentioned they thought the BB1 and the shimano E's looked a lot alike...well, at first i thought "no way!" but, i just got my new chronarch and now i can kinda see some resemblences, especially the non-full-length thumb bars. this is funny because the other lew's reels look like 2nd-generation revos.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:34 pm

21farms, you made the swap to 95mm CF handle on the BB1? If I do decide to go with one myself :-k , That is definitely a must.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:13 pm

389Maverick wrote:21farms, you made the swap to 95mm CF handle on the BB1? If I do decide to go with one myself :-k , That is definitely a must.
yes, i did BUT after i took the OEM aluminum handle off and weighed it, i was VERY surprised. the stock handle—at exactly 1.0 ounces—was already pretty light...in fact, only 1/10th-ounce heavier than the carbon fiber handle at 0.9 ounces.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:21 pm

21farms wrote:
389Maverick wrote:21farms, you made the swap to 95mm CF handle on the BB1? If I do decide to go with one myself :-k , That is definitely a must.
yes, i did BUT after i took the OEM aluminum handle off and weighed it, i was VERY surprised. the stock handle—at exactly 1.0 ounces—was already pretty light...in fact, only 1/10th-ounce heavier than the carbon fiber handle at 0.9 ounces.
8-[

StarTzar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by StarTzar » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:18 pm

21farms wrote:
Not much of a difference.... not worth the swap (My opinion)

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:36 pm

21farms wrote:

that is interesting, I think you just saved me $45 - thanks :D

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:37 am

78Staff wrote:that is interesting, I think you just saved me $45 - thanks :D
saving some bucks is not the TT way :lol:
even though the weight savings was negligible, i'm still glad i put the carbon handle for the BB1. not only do i like the cosmetics better, i now have the BB1 stock handle to put on another reel. for example, if i put the BB1 handle on my BPS PQ, i get a reel with a 10mm longer handle while shaving 0.3 ounces off its total weight.