Daiwa Pluton: Any problems w/ the levelwind?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
C0BRA
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Daiwa Pluton: Any problems w/ the levelwind?

Post by C0BRA » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:42 pm

Hello folks,

I am looking at the Pluton to replace some of my older CV-Z's. I personally have seen the fatal levelwind issue on a friend's Pluton. Just curious to see if anyone else on here has experienced it.

This has me really hesitant to spend $400+ on a few of these reels.

For those that aren't familiar, the levelwind's nylon gear sits on a shaft w/ 2 flat spots. Eventually, the center hole of the nylon gear gets worn and no longer catches on the shaft. The shaft can no longer turn the gear that turns the levelwind mechanism, preventing it from moving back and forth. Daiwa says it is made that way by design as a safety feature, or so I've heard.

Anyone w/ any experiences?

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Pluton: Any problems w/ the levelwind?

Post by beezy » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:49 pm

Hey there, I've heard of that issue with a lot of the saltwater guys here that use it for inshore and offshore fishing. After a few trips out, they experience that problem with the levelwind. I have one myself and although I use it for inshore fishing, I have yet to experience that line guide problem. If you're basically only going to be doing freshwater then you should be ok.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:03 am

Does it get worn out from just repeated retrieves? Repeated retrieves with big lures? Seem rather odd something like that could actually happen. Can't be from fighting fish since the level wind is not synchronized. I've been using mine for two years sporadically so haven't put enough time on it to possibly reach the breaking point but haven't had any issues either and when I do use it I make repeated cast with big swimbaits. I'm assuming the Z2020/Z200 has the same level wind and there's reports of big PNG bass captured on those without hearing about this issue. Could saltwater be causing erosion of a nearby component and affecting this? Seems rather odd.

C0BRA
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by C0BRA » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:34 am

GARRIGA wrote:Does it get worn out from just repeated retrieves? Repeated retrieves with big lures? Seem rather odd something like that could actually happen. Can't be from fighting fish since the level wind is not synchronized. I've been using mine for two years sporadically so haven't put enough time on it to possibly reach the breaking point but haven't had any issues either and when I do use it I make repeated cast with big swimbaits. I'm assuming the Z2020/Z200 has the same level wind and there's reports of big PNG bass captured on those without hearing about this issue. Could saltwater be causing erosion of a nearby component and affecting this? Seems rather odd.
That is what baffles me also. If the nylon gear is seated properly, I don't see how it could get worn because it will always be turning with the shaft. I'm no reel expert, but my guess would be that if relatively high drag settings are used and constant pressure is put on the drive train on a regular basis, it may cause the gear or shaft to get out of alignment? There's no way that the machined aluminum frame is flexing. :mrgreen:

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:36 pm

I had the problem and returned the reel to Daiwa and they fixed it. It was an upgrade that was not included with some of the older, initial introduction reels that some of us got. By now, it should be, at least in my mind, a non- issue since so much time has lapsed since the problem seemed to occur (mine became a problem after last falls use, sent it in during the winter months for the repair). Buy one and enjoy it!

jedec
Angler
Angler

Post by jedec » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:10 am

My Ryoga had this problem, had the nylon gear and levelwind gear replaced and it worked fine again. I had a pluton that didn't have this problem but i didn't own it very long (sold it while it was still good). i fish with big / heavy baits for pike.

Ong Jim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ong Jim » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:05 am

Native wrote:I had the problem and returned the reel to Daiwa and they fixed it. It was an upgrade that was not included with some of the older, initial introduction reels that some of us got. By now, it should be, at least in my mind, a non- issue since so much time has lapsed since the problem seemed to occur (mine became a problem after last falls use, sent it in during the winter months for the repair). Buy one and enjoy it!
Would you happen to know if Daiwa replaced the plastic gear with a different/metal gear? I think this is the issue im having.