Gen 3 STX brake problem

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
snowman custom baits
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Gen 3 STX brake problem

Post by snowman custom baits » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:18 pm

I have been using my 6.3 to 1 revo to through rattle traps. I set 2 centrifugal brakes on the rest off after a few casts the casting distance shortens up so I check every thing and there are 3 or 4 brakes on. So I think I didn't click them off firm enuff so I reset every thing and go back to fishing a few cast later short casts again I recheck and same problem. I have tried all the brakes on and off and it still happens. Any thoughts, any one had this problem? Does it need to go back to Garcia?

tt350z
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Gen 3 STX brake problem

Post by tt350z » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:22 pm

1 of my STX's did the same thing when I was fishing. I just used some tape to tape off the 2 that kept engaging.

When I got home, I took out the problem brakes and pushed the middle out so the side tabs would require more force to engage.

Haven't had a problem with it unintentionally engaging.

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:05 pm

If the brakes are popping out & it's under warranty, I'd get it serviced, that shouldn't be happening & they' should take care of it for you.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:20 am

Agreed. Something is not right with it. I've been fishing my Gen3 STX a lot the last few months and have never had that happen. Pure Fishing/AG will take care of you, and most likely very quickly. Great folks to deal with.

snowman custom baits
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by snowman custom baits » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:52 am

Yes it under warranty it's only a couple months old. I will contact them and get it shipped back. Hopefully it won't take to long. Thanks