Best Shimano Casting Reel for Cranking?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
joeim8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Best Shimano Casting Reel for Cranking?

Post by joeim8 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:03 am

Hello all,

I am looking into purchasing 3 new cranking reels to pair with my stcroix legend Tour Cranking Rods.
I have all 3 of the LT cranking rods (small,Big,Magnum).

Last year I ran a ABU Winch on the magnum and then 2 original chronarchs that I converted over to 5:1 gear ratios on both the small an big cranking rods.

However 2 years ago I started running Shimano Cores about 8 of them for all other applications except for cranking.
My problem is when I put down one of my rods with a core and pick up one of my current cranking set ups the feel and weight difference is pretty dramatic and can take a good while to adjust.

I now want to get the feel of all of my set ups as close to each other as possible.
I originally thought ok well I'll just go purchase 3 new cores and maybe convert them to 5:1's.....well not so fast as while I love the core's for most applications they are just not suited well for cranking especially deep cranking mostly because of the shallow and narrow spool which effects the line capacity and makes it a little tougher when casting baits over 3/4oz. .... cranking is probably the only application where I prefer a wider spool and more line cap.

So obviously I want to stick with Shimano and I want a very light low profile reel and preferably one with a high torque gear ratio under 6.0:1 for handling cranks well oh and I need it in left hand......................however when I look at what Shimano has to offer they really dont have a cranking specific low profile reel that I see.... kind of sucks becasue Daiwa has the crazy cranker and Abu has the Winch both of which I have tried and like but it comes back to the adjustment that I just dont like.

I was hoping to get some reviews and opinions on the 2 Shimano reels that I do see that kind of fit the bill but I have not used for cranking before and they are the....
Shimano Chronarch 200E in Left 5.5:1
Shimano Curado 200G in Left 5.5:1

Thanks for any help/opinions!

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best Shimano Casting Reel for Cranking?

Post by steve1206 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:46 am

I think you're on the right track with the 5.5 Chronarch. This could be a long conversation..but...Something you may not have thought about, if you like the core, and not necessarily looking for high line cap for small-medium cramkbaits, is the 5.8 Aldebaran. With the exchange rate, it is coming in around the retail price of a Core ($380-ish).

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:36 am

The 201E5 will do exactly what you want. It's not flashy, funky, or complicated. It's just a bulletproof workhorse reel. Clean and lube it, smooth and casts a mile, even with light cranks. The HEG is something we are starting to take for granted in modern reels, but it really is a gutsy little winch.
There is no left hand reel in low gear to be had in the Curado G series. The Chrony is pretty much the only choice.

lil_man72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lil_man72 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:40 am

i don't know what type of line your using, but if you're not opposed to using a braided line for backing you could get by with the cores. i did it with a pixy for small cranks. i just spooled the pixy with floro and made several casts with the wind until i felt that's the farthest i could cast and marked the line. when i got home i reeled the line onto another reel until i just passed that mark by about 5 feet and cut the line. then mark the spot on the spool were the line is and take off remaining line leaving the bottom layer on the spool and either dicard or put aside to use for leader material. then i just replaced what i had taken off with braided line and spooled it up to the mark i had on the spool. then just add the line from the other reel back on. the braid will last forever and you don't have to replace as much line when you respool the floro or mono.
i'd think you could also add the spool and gears from a chronarch d5 to the cores to get the line capacity.
if i were doing it and money wasn't an option i'd do the core/d5 hybrid for shallow cranking and pick up 2 more d5s for the mid/deep cranking.
if money was an option i'd go with the 3 chronarch 200E5s.
i'd do revo gen3 winch before i'd get the curado d's.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:56 am

I would place my money on the Chronarch 200E5's. Mad good reels.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:21 am

The title of your thread is 'Best shimano casting reel for cranking'
The best is the chronarch 100d5 and Calais 100a(5.8:1). End of story. Both can be had new for $300 or less.
Owning both these reels, as well as curado E's (same as chronarch E's), the curados/chronarchs are good, dependable reels, but they aren't in the same league, at all.
For me, the weight issue is non-exsistant. For cranking, i want a rock solid, rigid and refined reel.
I'd even go with a used chronarch d or Calais over a new chronarch E.
Just my 2 cents.

Big Al
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Big Al » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:28 am

I know what you mean about the weightand feel. I just got two Steez reels and after using the Curado G's the Steez feels so much nicer. Anyway, I am using a Curado G5 for cranking but the Chronarch E5 is worth the extra money IMO. Agree with Steve on the 5.8 Aldebaran if price is no factor.

rp346
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rp346 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:43 am

joeim8 wrote:Hello all,

I am looking into purchasing 3 new cranking reels to pair with my stcroix legend Tour Cranking Rods.
I have all 3 of the LT cranking rods (small,Big,Magnum).

Last year I ran a ABU Winch on the magnum and then 2 original chronarchs that I converted over to 5:1 gear ratios on both the small an big cranking rods.

However 2 years ago I started running Shimano Cores about 8 of them for all other applications except for cranking.
My problem is when I put down one of my rods with a core and pick up one of my current cranking set ups the feel and weight difference is pretty dramatic and can take a good while to adjust.

I now want to get the feel of all of my set ups as close to each other as possible.
I originally thought ok well I'll just go purchase 3 new cores and maybe convert them to 5:1's.....well not so fast as while I love the core's for most applications they are just not suited well for cranking especially deep cranking mostly because of the shallow and narrow spool which effects the line capacity and makes it a little tougher when casting baits over 3/4oz. .... cranking is probably the only application where I prefer a wider spool and more line cap.

So obviously I want to stick with Shimano and I want a very light low profile reel and preferably one with a high torque gear ratio under 6.0:1 for handling cranks well oh and I need it in left hand......................however when I look at what Shimano has to offer they really dont have a cranking specific low profile reel that I see.... kind of sucks becasue Daiwa has the crazy cranker and Abu has the Winch both of which I have tried and like but it comes back to the adjustment that I just dont like.

I was hoping to get some reviews and opinions on the 2 Shimano reels that I do see that kind of fit the bill but I have not used for cranking before and they are the....
Shimano Chronarch 200E in Left 5.5:1
Shimano Curado 200G in Left 5.5:1

Thanks for any help/opinions!
So what about a Calais 200APV.......If you can see your way past the weight...Very solid performer.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:39 am

....great option but be aware of its slower than slow IPT, spec'ed at 17".

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:28 am

LP, low gearing Shimano for cranking speaks of CH D5 in my book. Upper 5s = Calais 100A or Antares AR if you need a LH...good luck.

SC Bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SC Bassin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:47 pm

Any of the following will work just fine. Calais 200-5, Antares AR, Curado B-5, Curado B-3.8:1. I am left-handed so that is why I use the Antares AR instead of the Calais 100A. My Curado's have upgraded bearings & drag systems and are super tuned. You can fined the Curado B series on e-bay. If money is not a problem go with the Calais

mcha16
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mcha16 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:51 pm

the curado e5s work really good id say.
its just hard to find nowadays.
no one wants to sell their curado e's

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:54 pm

mcha16 wrote:the curado e5s work really good id say.
Chronarch E is the same reel with a bigger handle. Easy to find. Core 50e would serve just as well.

Flounder Guru
Angler
Angler

Post by Flounder Guru » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:14 pm

Curado/Chronarch E or a Shimano Chronarch D5 if you can find one on EBAY

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:00 pm

mcha16 wrote:the curado e5s work really good id say.
he needs a lefty.