Chronarch D and Core/JDM applications

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Lucky1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Chronarch D and Core/JDM applications

Post by Lucky1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:08 pm

Im switching most everything over to Shimano reels. I need some direction on choosing Cranking, Frog and a Heavy pitching set up. Would anyone use the Core/Aldebaran or core/Metanium reels over the Chronarch D series for any of the applications listed? I enjoy light reels but I want dependability more than anything. Would I be giving up dependability for light weight by switching to MG reels?
There have been a few threads with similar questions but I havent found the answer that Im looking for. Hopefully a few guys have some experience with these reels so I can get things sorted out Thanks in advance. G :D

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Chronarch D and Core/JDM applications

Post by beezy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:36 pm

Lucky1 wrote:Im switching most everything over to Shimano reels. I need some direction on choosing Cranking, Frog and a Heavy pitching set up. Would anyone use the Core/Aldebaran or core/Metanium reels over the Chronarch D series for any of the applications listed? I enjoy light reels but I want dependability more than anything. Would I be giving up dependability for light weight by switching to MG reels?
There have been a few threads with similar questions but I havent found the answer that Im looking for. Hopefully a few guys have some experience with these reels so I can get things sorted out Thanks in advance. G :D
Any of the reels you mentioned will work fine with the techniques that you suggested. I can tell you that the Chronarch D was one of the BEST reels that shimano made. It could handle EVERYTHING from cranking (D5) to texas rigs/jigs. If light weight is your forte then go with the core or aldebaran. I've owned and used the core 50 and 100 and the chronarch D series and would take the chronarch over the core reels any day of the week. The D reels were super smooth on the retrieve and the brass gears hold up well to heavy cover techniques. The cores are nice, but to me they're not as smooth as the chronarch and it could possibly be due to the use of magnesium whereas the chronarch is made out of aluminum. Anyways that's my .02.

grantman83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by grantman83 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:37 pm

From what I have read the Core 100MG7 is basically a non flipping version of the MGFV which I have use for my heavy braid applications. It also has brass gearing, is high speed and has 11lbs of drag which should be more than enough for Frogging. It doesn't really get more dependable than the Core series so you should be fine.

However, you are giving up line capacity compared to the Chronarch which with heavy line and a smart thumb could be an issue if you make very long casts.

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:44 pm

The core50/51 are my favorite reels for flipping/pitching plastics. Should handle everything except heavy punching.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:05 pm

I have all reels mentioned and I love them all. D5/D7s are hard to come by but if you can find them do it

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:55 pm

Agreed on the CH D series.

CH D series = Metanium (MG) in Aluminum with brass gears. For most U.S. bass fishing techs, it is more durable and smoother in cranking feel.

thukidad
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by thukidad » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:06 pm

Ive have 6 core 51mg and 2 core 101mg... I havent had a single problem with them.. I bought them when they came out years ago and I fish a lot and no one them has failed me.. light and powerful.

Lucky1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Lucky1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:07 pm

I was at my local Cabelas today and found a brand new Chronarch D5 on the shelf. I bought it right away. lol
I have been throwing Steez and Alphas for the past 2 years and the reliability has been an issue for me. Im a small guy and not getting any younger. If I can save a couple of ounces, I will. It really seems to help throughout the day. Reliability is first and foremost. I spend around 40-50Hrs a week on the water and I would like to have everything working smooth when Im out.
I appreciate the feedback. I will be picking up a couple of 50mg's for 2 NRX rods I have but wasnt sure where everyone stood on the 100mg and 100MG7. I guess it will be more D5's for the opener this year. Thanks for everyones help. If there are others with some opinions on the reels dont be afraid to post them, I would love to read what you think. G =D>

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:41 pm

Good find and purchase G.

Curious as to what reliability issues you had with the Steez and Alphas? Was it reliability or durability, or both?

Regardless, you spend a ton of time on the water! :mrgreen:

Lucky1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Lucky1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:06 pm

I have had problems with levelwind issues on all of them. If I seem to be fishing with one set up for the entire day, The levelwind starts to almost lock up and I can no longer crank the reel. I have done it with new reels telling myself that I am not going to open it up even to clean it, change bearings etc. and it will start doing this. I have posted on this issue before in the reel maintenance area and never really got it figured out. Of the dozen or so that I have had, I have one Steez and 2 Alphas itos that have been good to me. The rest are gone. I just picked up a new 7.1 Steez so Im hoping that will hold up. Oh and 1 TDZ 103P that I really like. I guess I cant blame Daiwa, Its probably something I have been doing wrong but I dont have the time anymore so Im jumping ship. I have most everything else in order for this year. Now waiting to watch the Classic! :big grin: \:D/ \:D/

Go A. Mart!

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:06 am

the 100mg7 is the way to go for your applications in the core line-up

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:12 am

Lucky1 wrote:I have had problems with levelwind issues on all of them. If I seem to be fishing with one set up for the entire day, The levelwind starts to almost lock up and I can no longer crank the reel. I have done it with new reels telling myself that I am not going to open it up even to clean it, change bearings etc. and it will start doing this. I have posted on this issue before in the reel maintenance area and never really got it figured out. Of the dozen or so that I have had, I have one Steez and 2 Alphas itos that have been good to me. The rest are gone. I just picked up a new 7.1 Steez so Im hoping that will hold up. Oh and 1 TDZ 103P that I really like. I guess I cant blame Daiwa, Its probably something I have been doing wrong but I dont have the time anymore so Im jumping ship. I have most everything else in order for this year. Now waiting to watch the Classic! :big grin: \:D/ \:D/

Go A. Mart!
I don't think it is anything you are doing...in any regard, weird to read about the levelwind issues (most of these issues I read about come with hard running fish on braid)? Seems like it is not aligning for whatever reason. I am glad to read that it wasn't the main gears, as for long and heavy power fishing, I would rec BRASS over alum/alloy in any make/model.

Good luck with the Shimanos as they are extremely consistent, durable and dependable, with a different feel than Daiwa - and are overall exceptional reels in the CH (E series I have no experience with) and Core lineup.

tman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tman » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:16 pm

Just my two cents here. I have two Core 51mg's and four Chronarch 201E7's and one old Curado 201E7. My cores are very light and sensitive, and have a very put together feel to them, but if I had it to do again I wouldn't have purchased them. I would have purchased one Core 101mg (no high speed 100 for the lefties, sucks).
Here's why: My cores are nice but my Chronarchs feel smoother on the retrieve, and out flip the Core's by quite a bit if you're throwing 3/8 of an ounce or more...the core may handle 1/4 ounce better but it's negligible at best. My buddy has the Core 100 and it roll casts or underhand (my main style) and pitches much better than my Core 51's.
The only negative on the Chronarch E's is the backplay (slop) in the handle, which doesn't hurt anything but is annoying. If the Calais came in at 7.5 ounces or less I would already own a boat full of them.

I have been wanting to try a JDM Curado upgrade the Scorpion 1501, which I think is made of aluminum rather than graphite and is more refined.

Just my two cents good luck with your Core's. I hope you like them...it may just be me they are very popular.