The markets getting very crowded.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

The markets getting very crowded.

Post by falcon » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:31 am

http://www.halofishing.com/reels.html
They look nice that's all I know.

A lot of companies and reels in the under $200 class. Gotta think that one or two might not make it out alive. Do you think the markets getting flooded? I personally feel as a shimano diehard that they need to make one very solid reel around 150 and abandon the sub 200 market. Then get back on track with the 200 and up class.

I'm still waiting to hear reviews about the pinnacle reels.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: The markets getting very crowded.

Post by fishingandfords » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:34 am

The chronarch needs to come down to 150-160 and rename it curado again and the chronarch can come back in a mind 200 reel

Flathead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Flathead » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:48 am

100% cor
fishingandfords wrote:The chronarch needs to come down to 150-160 and rename it curado again and the chronarch can come back in a mind 200 reel
100% correct, Ow man if they made the Chronarchs come down to $150 they would totally have the monopoly in that price range. Even @ $150 though you can pick up a Lews Tournament at that price. I think the Lews casters are priced really faily, especially the MG and the Tourney Speed Spool

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:31 am

My main thing is does a company need 4 reels in the 100-200 class. I believe that's what lews has maybe more. Abu has 3, shimano has 3. Really?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:00 am

My theory is that this is where the selling point is, between $100 and $200 for a reel. The average person does not want to spend more than that for a reel, so the companies give plenty of options for that price range. Look at the rods from $75-150, there is a strong market there as well.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:27 am

Shimano lost me when they came out with the G series and re-naming the previous Curado E to the new Chronarch.....bad marketing decision.

The Lew's IMO are correctly priced for what you get. I own many TP's, they are the perfect reels for Tournament fishing....light, compact, smooth and I'm not scared to put a boat rash on them so I don't have to baby them in the boat.

I'm looking to get the most out of a reel for a reasonable price to accommodate as many rods as possible to achieve different technics, the Lew's TP gives me that edge.

Economy's been hard and not everyone are as enthusiastically devoted to high end equipment....The average Joe won't be spending 250$,300$, 400$+ dollars on a baitcasting reel, therefore the diversity of options in the 120$ to 200$ range.

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:20 am

Duckett has reels coming out in 2014 as well. Pretty pointless IMO since most are just rebranded & tweaked versions of reels already on the market.

grantman83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by grantman83 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:58 am

I think Lew's wants to totally control the 100-200 price point both with tournament anglers and the average joe. They don't want to compete with the high end shimano's and Daiwas. Everything you need as a fisherman, they have a reel for and at an affordable price for everyone..

Want magnetic brakes only or a quality cheap cranking reel? Use the Tournament MG
Want a heavy duty frog/alabama rig or brass geared reel - Super duty
Want a lightweight and fluid dual breaking - Tournament pro
Prefer centrifigual brakes only? - Use the BB1..
Want dual breaking and don't mind alittle weight - Use the Tournament Speed spool

They are trying to offer literally EVERYTHING you can want and I don't begrudge them for it. They all have the little things too like longer handles on cranking reels, all the clickies etc....

Daiwa is daiwa and they are quality and refinement at a price. It wouldn't be fair to compare a 500 dollar steez to a 200 dollar tournament pro. But for your average joe, 100-200 is where the war for sales is. Shimano has tried to rebrand themselves to take advantage of this but it has come with a blow to their reputation.

Lew's never tried to overtake daiwa or shimano in their world (high end reels), but shimano is trying to backtrack and compete in the mid level with lew's, abu etc...

We will see how it goes

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:05 pm

I agree that the market is strongest for rods and reels under $200. Some companies seem to have too many reels priced within $20 of each other. I am guessing a lot of marketing research went into each companies line of reels so they must sell. If not they will be gone next year.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:58 pm

Interestingly enough, I believe the original Lew's BB1s were commissioned to Shimano for the internals, no?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:30 am

dragon1 wrote:Interestingly enough, I believe the original Lew's BB1s were commissioned to Shimano for the internals, no?
I believe this is true.