Help me pick a reel!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
BigJim
Angler
Angler

Help me pick a reel!

Post by BigJim » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:19 pm

I've got about $150 in Bass Pro money to spend on a new reel at the big spring sale in a couple weeks. I've only been using baitcasters for the last few years and my experience is limited to my two Daiwa HSTAs. I was in Bass Pro today making some Christmas returns so I did some scouting:

Lexa 100 - I've heard a lot of good things about this reel, but I'm skeptical about it's performance at the price point. It seems too good to be true. I can't say I was impressed with the specimen I handled today. The free spool performance was disappointing. Everything felt completely overgreased. The size is good, but the fit and finish seemed a little rough.

Chronarch 50 - I'm leaning towards a reel capable of throwing lighter baits. The fit, finish, and free spool were all good on this reel. I am concerned that it's too small though. I have bear paw-like hands and can palm the HSTA pretty comfortably.

Revo STX - I didn't play with one of these, but I did handle the S model. It seems to fit my hands pretty well.

Pflueger Patriarch - Saw one of these in the shop and it piqued my curiosity.

I looked for Lews reels, but BPS doesn't carry them.

As much as I'd love a Core or a Pixy Type R, it's not going to happen right now. If you had $150-$200 on a new reel from Bass Pro, what would you get and why?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Help me pick a reel!

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:43 pm

Chronarch 200E rather than the 50E it it was to small for your hands. It will cast lighter baits just fine. Very nice reel IMO. The Lews are quite nice too, but if the 50E was to small, the Lews platform will be the same. Regardless if Shimano took a step backwards with the Chronarch, the new E series is solid at 200 bucks. I would pick one up over a Lexa all day long.

Micropterus salmoides
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Micropterus salmoides » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:48 pm

Just throwing this out there...BPS has the Daiwa Zillions on clearance for $199.99. I called a couple of stores, one in CA and another in TX and both still had some left. If you can't find one locally they will ship for additional money. Great workhorse reel at a great price. It's more of a 1/2 oz and up reel, but still handles 3/8 oz well. For about $35 throw in some Boca Orange Seal bearings (with discount) and carbontex drag and you're set.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:14 pm

I second the vote for the 200e7 if the 50e is to small for your hands

Flathead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Flathead » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:48 am

The Lexa can be had for under $150 and is a better choice for the money i got one and love it, I also just purchased a Lews Super Duty and own a Shimano and the shimano is the worst of the bunch. You get way more reel for your money with Lews but not sure if BPS has them, if not get Johnny Morris Signature series its pretty much identicle to the Lews and the Pflueger Patriarch.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:38 am

The ChronarchEs are a great choice. Solid, smooth, and durable.

Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Quillback » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:10 am

The Revo Gen 3 STX is a great reel out of the box, no upgrades needed.

BigJim
Angler
Angler

Post by BigJim » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:49 am

Thanks guys. I looked for Zillions, but they only had a Type R at $350. I also think it would overlap duties with my HSTA too much for my meager collection.

I may have to play with the Chronarch 200E when I go back. How do the light bait capabilities of the 200E compare to the 50E?

Micropterus salmoides
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Micropterus salmoides » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:08 am

BigJim wrote:Thanks guys. I looked for Zillions, but they only had a Type R at $350. I also think it would overlap duties with my HSTA too much for my meager collection.

I may have to play with the Chronarch 200E when I go back. How do the light bait capabilities of the 200E compare to the 50E?
A Type R for $350. :shock: That's a good price. I'm looking at possibly getting one as a frog reel.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:51 am

I'd get a stx for $150-$200.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:11 am

BigJim wrote:I looked for Lews reels, but BPS doesn't carry them.
I JUST noticed this too, which is surprising based on how often I am killing time at these stores when on the road...The reason, however, is obvious in retrospect. the Lew's "re-founder" is a former Bass Pro employee, who contracts the reels to be manufactured at the same Korean factory as the Bass Pro reels, and others. Don't know if it would be considered "bad blood," but, an outwardly obvious business decision Bass Pro made, based on these facts.

....and, if it were me, it apprears the Lexa may be the way to go with the $150 budget...If you throw a few extra bucks in, I would vote Chronarch E (50 or 200) based on direct experience, if they are a comfortable fit to your hand.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:16 pm

BigJim wrote:Thanks guys. I looked for Zillions, but they only had a Type R at $350. I also think it would overlap duties with my HSTA too much for my meager collection.

The CH200E will cast lighter baits just fine. I have no problems casting 3/16 plugs with mine. I did upgrade the spool bearings before using it though. I also have an HSTA. Best 100 bucks I ever spent.

BigJim
Angler
Angler

Post by BigJim » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:14 am

I was told the Lews reels would cannibalize the BPS brand sales. Wouldn't surprise me, especially if they're very similar to the Johnny Morris stuff.

mcha16
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mcha16 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:38 pm

BigJim wrote:I've got about $150 in Bass Pro money to spend on a new reel at the big spring sale in a couple weeks. I've only been using baitcasters for the last few years and my experience is limited to my two Daiwa HSTAs. I was in Bass Pro today making some Christmas returns so I did some scouting:

Lexa 100 - I've heard a lot of good things about this reel, but I'm skeptical about it's performance at the price point. It seems too good to be true. I can't say I was impressed with the specimen I handled today. The free spool performance was disappointing. Everything felt completely overgreased. The size is good, but the fit and finish seemed a little rough.

Chronarch 50 - I'm leaning towards a reel capable of throwing lighter baits. The fit, finish, and free spool were all good on this reel. I am concerned that it's too small though. I have bear paw-like hands and can palm the HSTA pretty comfortably.

Revo STX - I didn't play with one of these, but I did handle the S model. It seems to fit my hands pretty well.

Pflueger Patriarch - Saw one of these in the shop and it piqued my curiosity.

I looked for Lews reels, but BPS doesn't carry them.

As much as I'd love a Core or a Pixy Type R, it's not going to happen right now. If you had $150-$200 on a new reel from Bass Pro, what would you get and why?
Id say chronarch. Smooth, nice cosmestics and great at rhrowing lighter baits. And it handles heavy baits as well.

kazama
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kazama » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:50 pm

voting for Chronarch 50 8-)