curado 200e vs chronarch 200e difference

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: curado 200e vs chronarch 200e difference

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:34 am

pro reel wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:I do feel a difference from my Curado and Chronarch Es. I dont know why, but I do feel thwy are smoother and tighter. I flush my spool bearings and open every reel to make sure they are lubed right, so I know its not disguised by overgreasing.
Have someone blindfold you and hand you a mix of both reels all set identical tension, don't cheat and feel for the drag star, then see if you can pick the chronarchs by feel. I would bet that you can't. Bantam 1 has told us several times, at least on other forums, that they are built with the same tooling. Thats the same frames, same internal parts, same sidecovers, same line guide components, same bearings , same AR clutch, both spools are made with 7075 magnumlite etc. etc. etc., just different paint, and different spool and handle anodizing, along with one different drag washer, and the graphite drag star. Becuase of the graphite drag star, the chronarch may weigh slighty less, but I doubt that you could notice that difference while blindfolded.

An expectation of increased quality will often lead to a perception of increased quality, even when it's not there. The Chronarch E is the Curado E at the price they would have needed to sell it to continue being profitable. They evidently didn't think that the Curado E would have sold well at that price, so they changed the name, the color, and a drag washer. I have handled several of both, and can't tell or feel any difference.

I understand what your saying, but my Chronarchs are smoother than my Curados, its a fact.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:45 am

I purchased 5 Curado E7's at once when they were released. Out of the 5 ... 3 were smoother then the other 2 so sold them off and kept the 3. This was after complete tear downs, cleanings, relubing, and removal of anti revers pawls with break in time.

I have several models that I have multiple reels of and they all have their own charachter and feel IMO.

I wonder if some of these perceived differences are from just having " one made on a Monday and the other made on Friday" kinda deal ? Variations in tolerances may be causing the feels you guys speak of and not necisarily a whole model being smoother than the other ?

Just food for though ....

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:11 am

jpd0144 wrote:I purchased 5 Curado E7's at once when they were released. Out of the 5 ... 3 were smoother then the other 2 so sold them off and kept the 3. This was after complete tear downs, cleanings, relubing, and removal of anti revers pawls with break in time.

I have several models that I have multiple reels of and they all have their own charachter and feel IMO.

I wonder if some of these perceived differences are from just having " one made on a Monday and the other made on Friday" kinda deal ? Variations in tolerances may be causing the feels you guys speak of and not necisarily a whole model being smoother than the other ?

Very good point. I was also wondering if the spacers/shims used for parts were improved for tighter tolerences. Just because the part number is the same, doesnt mean that they could have "improved" it. If you know what I mean.

pro reel
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by pro reel » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:03 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
jpd0144 wrote:I purchased 5 Curado E7's at once when they were released. Out of the 5 ... 3 were smoother then the other 2 so sold them off and kept the 3. This was after complete tear downs, cleanings, relubing, and removal of anti revers pawls with break in time.

Very good point. I was also wondering if the spacers/shims used for parts were improved for tighter tolerences. Just because the part number is the same, doesnt mean that they could have "improved" it. If you know what I mean.
I order dozens of all those spacers and shims on a regular basis. There has not been any change made to them. There has always and probably will always be some variance in tolerances on these reels. Untill you open one up you never know if it will have pawl pacers or how many it will have. You also never know if it will have a washer on the end of the worm gear or if it might have 2. Obviously, these are made by people who could do a better job on one day than on another. I also have noticed that if try out 10 identical reels, you will find a couple of duds, several normal reels and a couple of exceptional reels.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:15 pm

pro reel wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:

I order dozens of all those spacers and shims on a regular basis. There has not been any change made to them. There has always and probably will always be some variance in tolerances on these reels. Untill you open one up you never know if it will have pawl pacers or how many it will have. You also never know if it will have a washer on the end of the worm gear or if it might have 2. Obviously, these are made by people who could do a better job on one day than on another. I also have noticed that if try out 10 identical reels, you will find a couple of duds, several normal reels and a couple of exceptional reels.
Not to bust your hump, but do you measure the thickness with a micrometer? Do you really know if maybe they are thicker or thinner, or are you sure they are all consistant. This is what I am getting at as saying that maybe they have solved a problem with resizing the shims or washers used.

Fishwhittler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fishwhittler » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:43 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:Not to bust your hump, but do you measure the thickness with a micrometer? Do you really know if maybe they are thicker or thinner, or are you sure they are all consistant. This is what I am getting at as saying that maybe they have solved a problem with resizing the shims or washers used.
Perhaps your Chronarch E's are tighter and smoother because they haven't been used quite so long as your Curado E's?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:01 pm

Fishwhittler wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:Not to bust your hump, but do you measure the thickness with a micrometer? Do you really know if maybe they are thicker or thinner, or are you sure they are all consistant. This is what I am getting at as saying that maybe they have solved a problem with resizing the shims or washers used.
Perhaps your Chronarch E's are tighter and smoother because they haven't been used quite so long as your Curado E's?

No, they all get their fair share of a bass kicking. From new they were tighter as well.

tH3_Guy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tH3_Guy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:47 am

Ultimately it does not matter, because Curado E models are hard to come by new. I like the white colaration of chornarch E :)