DC reels - why only Shimano?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Abass88lb
Angler
Angler

Re: DC reels - why only Shimano?

Post by Abass88lb » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:50 am

mitchct wrote:
jeb wrote:
Mcyl wrote:I wish there was more tuning available for DC systems however. Say if braking profiles can be personalised by connecting it to a computer and updated...or data like dist/speed etc Bluetoothed to a smartphone. Now that would be cool
I think that too, when I'm using my Calcutta DC. But those thoughts go away when I'm using my Calais DC. There's a setting for everything, and then some, on that one, at least for my fishing. I do wish they'd install that 4x8 system in other reels, though. I'd like to see a lighter, smaller, not metal sided reel with it.
Jeb - why? I'm thinking about getting my first DC reel and wonder what the implications of this comment are? Thanks in advance.
He's basically stating weight would be reduce with non metal side plate. I'm perfectly fine with the weight as it is. Yes, it could be lighter but the 9.5oz isn't too bad and you can easily adjust to it.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm

mitchct wrote:
jeb wrote:
Mcyl wrote:I wish there was more tuning available for DC systems however. Say if braking profiles can be personalised by connecting it to a computer and updated...or data like dist/speed etc Bluetoothed to a smartphone. Now that would be cool
I think that too, when I'm using my Calcutta DC. But those thoughts go away when I'm using my Calais DC. There's a setting for everything, and then some, on that one, at least for my fishing. I do wish they'd install that 4x8 system in other reels, though. I'd like to see a lighter, smaller, not metal sided reel with it.
Jeb - why? I'm thinking about getting my first DC reel and wonder what the implications of this comment are? Thanks in advance.
We fish all year here in NW Ark. An all metal or chrome finish reel like this is very, very cold to palm when it's anywhere near freezing. I hate to even pick it up on those kinds of days.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:06 pm

jeb wrote:
mitchct wrote:
jeb wrote:
We fish all year here in NW Ark. An all metal or chrome finish reel like this is very, very cold to palm when it's anywhere near freezing. I hate to even pick it up on those kinds of days.
Wear gloves

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:19 pm

x2 on wearing gloves, get a good pr of neoprene gloves with the tips of the fingers cut off.

CaptBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CaptBob » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:52 pm

That is the last thing I would do. We here in Ohio are getting ready to hit the largest Walleye River Run in the world. Every year in these frigid waters I watch those that try and tough it out with gloves on trying to fish standing in upper 30 to lower 40 degree water, and most with gloves sooner or later end up making a cast and loosing the grip on their rod and reel, and many times they don't get em back! Besides I would never wear gloves while fishing, I don't wear gloves when I'm ice fishing, unless I don't have a rod or tip up in my hands. Just never could understand trying to justify trying to fish successfully by reducing your ability to feel whats going on at the other end, JMO (just my observation)!

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:27 am

fishingandfords wrote:
jeb wrote:
mitchct wrote:
jeb wrote:
Wear gloves
I often do wear fingerless gloves, but the cold of this reel seeps through them far more so than most. And wearing gloves does cut down on sensitivity, so I like to pull them off as quickly as I can stand it.

fishsmart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishsmart » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:41 am

My guess is that Shimano will build whatever will support that individual market with revenue while fitting in their long term plan. A programmable DC reel is certainly within technical capability but is most likely not (yet) economical.

Can you imagine being the tech service guru for programmable DC reels!

Charles

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:27 pm

http://www.google.com/patents/EP1477060 ... CDwQ6AEwAw

I think the recharging feature is the most clever thing about the DC reels. A competitor would have to develop an alternate method of energy harvesting and storage for powering the control electronics, and that is...imo...the major barrier to entry. There is lots of rotational energy to leverage in a reel, but not much else.
Abass88lb wrote:Yes, it could be lighter but the 9.5oz isn't too bad and you can easily adjust to it.
Funny - the Zillion and certain Gen 2 Revos get blasted for being 8.5+ oz bloated, overweight pigs. :lol:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:59 pm

Tokugawa wrote:Funny - the Zillion and certain Gen 2 Revos get blasted for being 8.5+ oz bloated, overweight pigs.
Yeppers, and the Z2020/Z200 and other reels as well.
Tokugawa wrote:I think the recharging feature is the most clever thing about the DC reels. A competitor would have to develop an alternate method of energy harvesting and storage for powering the control electronics, and that is...imo...the major barrier to entry. There is lots of rotational energy to leverage in a reel, but not much else.
There is cranking energy to harvest. :-k

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:50 pm

dragon1 wrote:There is cranking energy to harvest.
I lumped that into rotational...but it certainly is different than the energy in the spool during casting.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:02 pm

[quote="Tokugawa"]http://www.google.com/patents/EP1477060 ... CDwQ6AEwAw

I think the recharging feature is the most clever thing about the DC reels. A competitor would have to develop an alternate method of energy harvesting and storage for powering the control electronics, and that is...imo...the major barrier to entry. There is lots of rotational energy to leverage in a reel, but not much else.

=D> =D>

Well that pretty much answers my original question. The reason other reel companies hav'nt jumped onto the DC bandwagon is more a case of "they cannot" as opposed to "they don't want to". :whistle:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:55 pm

Bassmar wrote: =D> =D>
Well that pretty much answers my original question. The reason other reel companies hav'nt jumped onto the DC bandwagon is more a case of "they cannot" as opposed to "they don't want to". :whistle:
The "cannot" and "don't want to" based upon what factors?

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 am

dragon1 wrote:
Bassmar wrote: =D> =D>
The "cannot" and "don't want to" based upon what factors?
On the fact that Shimano have patented the recharging technology and without this the DC concept cannot work. So even if the "others" wanted to develop a DC reel they cannot without infringing the patent rights. Of course I suppose that there is always the possibility that they are totally disinterested in this type of reel and have never had or will ever have any intention of introducing something similar. But after all the untapped potential discussed in this thread I doubt that this is the case. Or am I missing something here?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:45 am

I don't think Daiwa will do it, because Shimano did it first. I don't think they want to be seen as copy cats, or as using a competitors technology. That said, I'm sure if they chose to pursue it, they could likely make something comparable. If I had to guess, Pure Fishing would likely be the next manufacturer to even attempt it. They are large enough to have the resources and I don't think they mind piggybacking off the two giants while pushing the envelope at the same time.

hooidcaster
Angler
Angler

Post by hooidcaster » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:26 am

tywithay wrote:I don't think Daiwa will do it, because Shimano did it first. I don't think they want to be seen as copy cats, or as using a competitors technology. That said, I'm sure if they chose to pursue it, they could likely make something comparable. If I had to guess, Pure Fishing would likely be the next manufacturer to even attempt it. They are large enough to have the resources and I don't think they mind piggybacking off the two giants while pushing the envelope at the same time.
hmm, a dc reel from Abu... Abu Revo Digital Control, or Abu Revo EBS (Electronic Braking System)?? which is nicer?