DC reels - why only Shimano?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

DC reels - why only Shimano?

Post by Bassmar » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:38 am

I have a Calais DC and Calcutta DC reel and love them. I do not recall ever reading any negative comments about any of the Shimano DC reels. Why have none of the other reel manufacturers ever come up with a DC style reel? Do Shimano have a patent? Or do you know of any other reason?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: DC reels - why only Shimano?

Post by dragon1 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:42 am

Patent yes, ROI is another reason.

DC is electronically controlled mag braking...lots of other ways to achieve this spool speed and control and all manufacturers have their ideas, concepts and current designs/engineering philosophies on this.

Ultimate casting distances are not always with one type of braking vs another as a myriad of other factors come into play. This is not to say that down the road other electronic braking systems won't be introduced by other makers.

fishsmart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishsmart » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:23 am

Shimano has the foresight and resulting lead in technology.

Charles

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:45 am

fishsmart wrote:Shimano has the foresight and resulting lead in technology.

Charles
=D> =D>

I must say that I agree with you but judging by the recent threads on this forum, many would not. :shock:
dragon1 wrote:Patent yes, ROI is another reason.

DC is electronically controlled mag braking...lots of other ways to achieve this spool speed and control and all manufacturers have their ideas, concepts and current designs/engineering philosophies on this.

Ultimate casting distances are not always with one type of braking vs another as a myriad of other factors come into play. This is not to say that down the road other electronic braking systems won't be introduced by other makers.
I get what you saying but the DC concept is so radically different from the existing systems that I would have thought that someone else would have come up with their version by now. It has been around for years now. It seems to be a good seller for Shimano and as such I am surprised the others are not following suit. We all know that the copy cat culture is alive and well in the fishing industry :lol:

mikezho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikezho » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:03 am

I bought a 200 DC TE and returned it. Here are the negatives

1. feel cold in cold weather.
2. Do not cast further than non DC good reels
3. heavy
4. line capacity is compromised.
5. Expensive, not worth the extra money than the less expensive model such as core.

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zenbassr » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:21 am

mikezho wrote: 1. feel cold in cold weather
2. Do not cast further than non DC good reels
3. heavy
4. line capacity is compromised.
5. Expensive, not worth the extra money than the less expensive model such as core.
to a certain extent, i agree w/ #4.

but #1 and # 3 have nothing at all to do w/ DC braking, because you can say the same thing about the TE200 non DC.

and #2 really depends on the skill of the user, no? for an untrained thumb DC will help a novice cast further than non DC good reel.

besides, most versions of the DC arent designed for max distance casting but more consistent, birdnest-free casting. i'm gonna go out on a limb and say the majority of people using DC reels are fishing rather than trying to win casting tournaments

#5 all depends on the currency exchange rate... :-$

DC braking in all current versions is just in the early stages, much untapped potential there.

does personalized braking curves per user/lure/technique sound far-fetched? for non-DC braking systems, it would be unrealistic.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:38 am

fishsmart wrote:Shimano has the foresight and resulting lead in technology.

Charles
As important a reason is ROI. DCs are not the longest casting reels in all situations, or for all users vs all other reels.

FWIW, I believe more FW/BASS fishing innovations have been brought out by Daiwa vs Shimano since the 80s in their BC and spinning reels. This said, the combination of engineering, design, manufacturing - while maintaining quality, performance, durability and retained value; is why the two headed rising sun giants have lead the fishing industry (in FW) the last few decades.

IMHO....those who have used and continue to own, use and appreciate BOTH or more makes than Daiwa and/or Shimano, have a more valid understanding and truer assessment of both companies and their products since the 80s. Otherwise, it is just brand bias as there is no weakness or strength in any form or factor that either of these two companies will not showcase in the hands of individual owners, or in the stated form of the products themselves as a whole.

State any of a myriad of points or endless minutiae - hollow retrieve, smoother more buttery retrieve, or a combination, longer or shorter casting, lighter or heavier overall weight, better ergos, better cranking power or lighter cranking feel, better durability or reliability or casting/pitching performance, differentiating braking systems, low to "stupid" high-end and ltd edtns offerings, after-market available tuning accessories/parts, better or worse resale...blah, blah, blah... :roll:

Any of these arguments can be made for both sides, and they are real and valid to that/those individuals...which I appreciate as insight. What I find silly is the "blind loyalist ideal" that binds the hands and cover the eyes of users that may or may not have owned both brands, or given both brands the same time to work based upon what that particular reel was designed to do. EVEN IF, in the end, the user chooses one over the other; it is still silly and unbecoming to brand the other as "worthless" or in lighter reference, "inferior".

Both have strengths and weaknesses (granted, fewer weaknesses than other competitors on the market, aside from higher pricing)...but both are still the market leaders. Does anyone here honestly believe that if one of the two Rising Sun Giants had a chance to consume/absorb the other; that the "winner" of this battle would not be ELATED to have just been handed many decades of world leading and reknown patents, engineering and designing feats, and manufacturing/marketing capabilities? :-k

Otherwise this Chevy/Ford, Toyota/Honda debate has been regurgitated since the dawn of TT (and before)...many times it is fun and entertaining, at other times of the year when I am "enclosed with hard water", it can be a painful irritant; not unlike a rash or hemorrhoid. ](*,)

I will give credit that the postings here are GENERALLY ALWAYS of higher "quality" and thought than "reviews" from BPS, TW, Cabelas and other retailers...thank goodness for that! :lol:

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:37 pm

Dragon

Your reply was very insightful as usual. I was not trying to start another Shimano vs Daiwa vs The Rest debate as there have been plenty of those of late. Just that I am genuinly surprised that Shimano are the only ones utilising this Digital technology. And as Zenbasser points out that there is still plenty untapped potential in this technology.
BTW that is ROI? :?

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:54 am

ROI = return on investment

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:46 am

Indeed gents...

Just for sh!ts and giggles, I found some open water yesterday and got a line wet for a few hours to try and decompress my "winter blues". Spent a little time BS'ing with a new TT member and we talked some fishin' and so forth.

Didn't catch anything or even sniff sight of a fish...so now I am only half-onery! :lol:

But I KNOW, it is getting closer to bass season! [-o<

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:52 am

This is like asking why MagV/MagZ reels are only Daiwa. ;) Some people like DC, some do not. I do not.
Well said. =D>

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:13 pm

kakaryan wrote:This is like asking why MagV/MagZ reels are only Daiwa. ;) Some people like DC, some do not. I do not.
Well said. =D>
I do,
But I also like Mag V/Z/3D. My first one had a problem that soured things in the beginning but no longer...
My AdC with whining casts and noisy clicking drag is the ultimate show reel, I think in the car of the Exsence, where big casts are made in windy low light conditions, DC is great.

I wish there was more tuning available for DC systems however. Say if braking profiles can be personalised by connecting it to a computer and updated...or data like dist/speed etc Bluetoothed to a smartphone. Now that would be cool

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:58 pm

Mcyl wrote:I wish there was more tuning available for DC systems however. Say if braking profiles can be personalised by connecting it to a computer and updated...or data like dist/speed etc Bluetoothed to a smartphone. Now that would be cool
That is not too far out of reason - kinda like driver data to match individual keys/users on automobiles.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:26 am

Mcyl wrote:I wish there was more tuning available for DC systems however. Say if braking profiles can be personalised by connecting it to a computer and updated...or data like dist/speed etc Bluetoothed to a smartphone. Now that would be cool
I think that too, when I'm using my Calcutta DC. But those thoughts go away when I'm using my Calais DC. There's a setting for everything, and then some, on that one, at least for my fishing. I do wish they'd install that 4x8 system in other reels, though. I'd like to see a lighter, smaller, not metal sided reel with it.

mitchct
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mitchct » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:40 am

jeb wrote:
I think that too, when I'm using my Calcutta DC. But those thoughts go away when I'm using my Calais DC. There's a setting for everything, and then some, on that one, at least for my fishing. I do wish they'd install that 4x8 system in other reels, though. I'd like to see a lighter, smaller, not metal sided reel with it.
Jeb - why? I'm thinking about getting my first DC reel and wonder what the implications of this comment are? Thanks in advance.