Why choose Shimano or Abu Garcia

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
nevadaboy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Why choose Shimano or Abu Garcia

Post by nevadaboy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:06 pm

So heres a few questions.

Why choose a Abu STX over a Shimano Chronch or vis versa

Why choose a Abu MGX over a Shimano Core or vis versa

Why Choose a Abu Premier spinning reel over a Shimano Sustain or vis versa

Thanks for the help guys :D

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Why choose Shimano or Abu Garcia

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:36 pm

My personal review regarding the following reels....

Why choose a Abu STX over a Shimano Chronarch. The abu is lighter, better drag, and casts controls are easier to dial in. Both are good value at $200, i'd also consider the Lew's Tourny Pro a very solid 3rd option!

Why choose a Core50/51mg7 over a Abu MGX. The core51mg7 i have is the easiest reel to pitch/flip with. It's smoother than the mgx and is a fool proof reel. The fit and finish is also better, the finish on the mgx is not up to par for a $350 reel. The stock core is even easier to dial in than my steez!

Why Choose a Abu Premier spinning reel over a Shimano Sustain or vis versa. For the $250 range i prefer the shimano stradic/sustain (x-ship). Shimano is well known for there spinning reels. x-ship is the real deal, very strong and powerful. The shimano may not be the smoothest but for sure more powerful. If you are looking for smoothness, look at diawa spinning reels.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:30 am

Brand loyalty, reputation, aesthetics, feel, price, durability, or past experiences, etc. Essentially all of the top reel manufacturer's reels perform very well. Core, Steez, MGX.

Ford Mustang, Chevy Camaro, Dodge Challenger. Viper or Corvette. All essentially deliver the same thing although a bit differently.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:40 am

It all comes down to what you feel comfortable with. I have alot of faith in Shimanos build. I also like centrif brakes over may brakes. Some Abu and Lews have centrif brakes, but they are more of a pin type spring mechanism, and I'm not a fan. I like the feel of the Shimano reels better as well. Holding, casting, performance, they have always been my go to reels, and I haven't found any that work better for me.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:05 pm

Daiwa over both. Daiwa Steez, Zillion, Pixy, PX Type R, TD-Z, T3, Sol, Alphas, Ballistic, Procyon, Luvias, Exist, Emeraldas, Z200/Z2020, Luna, Ryoga, Millionaire, Fuego, and theres a lot more.

But seriously, it is personal preference. I would advise buying 1 Abu and 1 Shimano play with both and the one that dominates or becomes your favorite. Sell the other and start again till you find a group of reels or brand that you can rely on and feel confident fishing.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:12 pm

everyone has different preferences and the best advice i can think of is "see for yourself". all of the reels you named are part of tacklewarehouse's FREE demo program. demo them and buy what you like.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:11 pm

Or take advantage of tacklehouses shimano sale

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:33 pm

fishingandfords wrote:Or take advantage of tacklehouses shimano sale
I did JUST that today! Chronarch 50E.

I'm about split between Shimano and Daiwa. I like both! The Shimanos are a bit more "forgiving" when I "wang" one out. The Daiwas seem more "precise."
I WAS going to try the Abu Revo Winch but TW was already sold out! Only Abu I have now is the old 1500C. Was a great price to try one.