Shimano Stella or Stradic ci4

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
JJf3
Angler
Angler

Shimano Stella or Stradic ci4

Post by JJf3 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:51 am

stella or stradic ci4 which one would you choose and why ? is the stella worth the money or should i just go for the stradic ?

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Shimano Stella or Stradic ci4

Post by thelatrobe33 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:17 am

Why not split the difference and get a Sustain? I've not fished a Stella, but I have had the Stradic Ci4, Stradic FJ and now have a Sustain FG. None of these reels have been lacking in performance. I can't really see spending $700 on a spinning reel (or a casting reel for that matter).

ztcsmd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ztcsmd » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:09 pm

That's what I did--the Stradic has CI4 Frame, Sideplate and Rotor Construction, whereas the Sustain has Magnumlite CI4 Rotor, Aluminum Frame, Side Plate. Still not sold on composite frames yet. This was posted in Hot Deals forum http://www.sfttackle.com/ as a sale starting on the 13th. Don't know details but might be worth looking. I bought the Sustain at the TW 25% off Shimano/Loomis promo at the end of last month and at that price I did not hesitate--maybe this upcoming sale will be as good.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:28 pm

I mean, a stella is a stella.. but for the price you can get 2 Stradic's. The Sustains are very nice as well, more so comparable to the stella in a way.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:32 pm

For me personally, the Ci4 Stradic the one Shimano spinning reel whereas I would start considering OEMs and most definitely Daiwas in this price range. I am just not impressed or sold on the Stradic Ci4...lower level Shimanos and higher I like per their price range and placement in the Shimano lineup.

Otherwise, just about any other Stradic in Shimano's lineup from today back 10 years would be my choice before the Ci4.

But yes...why even ask between a Ci4 Stradic and a Stella?

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:50 pm

The Stella is too expensive for me and the CI4 (I own a 2500 size CI4) just isn't all that great of a reel in my eyes. If I had to choose between the two, I'd get the CI4. I think I would be much better served with a Sustain (if I had to stick to US Shimanos).

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:18 pm

Stradic Ci4 = Hyundai
Sustain = Cadillac
Stella = Bentley

I have owned all three. Stradic was a good medium priced reel. I hated the color scheme and the eva foam. The Sustain is a great medium high reel I'd take one over the stradic in a heartbeat. You will not be unhappy with it. But 2 1/2 years ago I picked up a Stella FE. Everything will be compared to it from now on and nothing comes close. That being said I only own one I'd like to have more but I don't fish any other techniques/sizes often enough to warrant the cost of purchasing another.....yet

jlb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jlb » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:18 pm

i have 2 stella fds and in my opinion nothing comes close.

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:33 pm

why not go JDM?

If you want stella performance in a lightweight package, maybe you should look @ the Vanquish (since you're ready to spend stella $$)

I would pass on the Ci4 since it's old tech, JDM market already have the Ci4+ and the Stradic Ci4 is based off the old stradic

I had the sustain FG before I got my Vanquish and I sold the sustain as soon as I compared both of them side by side

scatter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by scatter » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:12 pm

The stradic ci4 is a superb reel. People here have a beef with it because there's some sort of irrational hatred of carbon composites around here but I've never heard of anyone actually having a problem. I use the 4000 size for mackerel and tuna and if I'm not experiencing the mythical "flex" than no little bass is going to do it. The stellas are sublime reels. If money's no object then you won't regret getting one.

dragon1 wrote:For me personally, the Ci4 Stradic the one Shimano spinning reel whereas I would start considering OEMs and most definitely Daiwas in this price range.
Huh? This makes no sense.

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:16 pm

scatter wrote:The stradic ci4 is a superb reel. People here have a beef with it because there's some sort of irrational hatred of carbon composites around here but I've never heard of anyone actually having a problem. I use the 4000 size for mackerel and tuna and if I'm not experiencing the mythical "flex" than no little bass is going to do it. The stellas are sublime reels. If money's no object then you won't regret getting one.

dragon1 wrote:For me personally, the Ci4 Stradic the one Shimano spinning reel whereas I would start considering OEMs and most definitely Daiwas in this price range.
he's probably saying JDM

I had the Ci4 before and I don't like how the rotor wobbles, I think you're better off going with the FJ than the Ci4 if you are really keen on getting a stradic

it's just a matter of time we'll see the Stradic Ci4 revised...

daiwa lunatic
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwa lunatic » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:27 pm

If you have the money to spent go for the Stella, this way you'll satisfy your ego and you know that that's the top most that you can get, reason for this is because you'll always wonder how is the performance of the stella is you settle for a stradic, this will always hunt you until you get the Stella and you'll end up with both, and thats why you also ended up here in TT.

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:31 am

daiwa lunatic wrote:If you have the money to spent go for the Stella, this way you'll satisfy your ego and you know that that's the top most that you can get, reason for this is because you'll always wonder how is the performance of the stella is you settle for a stradic, this will always hunt you until you get the Stella and you'll end up with both, and thats why you also ended up here in TT.
Such true words. The Stella feels so much nicer than any other Reel I've owned before. And I have a pair of the oldie FB Stella's. Haven't fished them yet but will let you know how they fish compared to the CI4/Sustain I owned last year.

SWH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SWH » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:52 am

I like my Stella FE2500 a lot, using it for sea trout and finesse freshwater applications. Feels much better than my Aspire FA2500, which is already better than a Stradic. You get a nice connected smooth feeling and an insane drag. Nothing bothers me on the reel and I paid 500 USD, which is alright considering that there nothing bad about it to remind you of the price.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:09 am

scatter wrote:The stradic ci4 is a superb reel. People here have a beef with it because there's some sort of irrational hatred of carbon composites around here but I've never heard of anyone actually having a problem. I use the 4000 size for mackerel and tuna and if I'm not experiencing the mythical "flex" than no little bass is going to do it. The stellas are sublime reels. If money's no object then you won't regret getting one.

You have a right to your opinion, hence why this part of my post makes "no sense to you" - however in my hands the Ci4 Gen 1 Stradic is not nearly as good as the price suggests. It is not anywhere near the reel as the last gen Stradic MG, or any of the other $200 I spent on Gen 1 Daiwa Certates 2004, 2506, 2500 R Custom, or the 1st Gen Red MG Daiwa Fuego, or even the 2nd Gen Daiwa Fuego (in my case the green Cabela's 50th Anniversary Spinner), or any Biomaster or TwimPower or even Ultegra JDM Shimanos. For Stradic Ci4 money, I would choose an OEM, like the Revo or Pflueger as well.

It is not just about any "carbon/plastic" material and how strong it is in real life applications or whether it is SW resistant, or whether it exhibits flex on the water, etc. For me, the overall feel, function and build quality of the Stradic Ci4 is nowhere near the current FJ, nor the original pearl white/wooden handle Stradic I owned over 15 years ago. And for less money, I would prefer a reel like the Symetre before the Ci4 if I wanted a reel in the $200 category or less from USDM Shimano.

Otherwise, IMO, "superb" is an awful strong definition of a USDM Stradic Ci4.