Any Shimano Twinpower reel users?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Any Shimano Twinpower reel users?

Post by Silas » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:44 am

I'm looking for a new spinning reel and have been considering the Shimano Sustain 2500. Heard nothing but good things about it and already have an old Shimano Stradic 1000FE, which I really like.

I'd like this reel/rod combo to be used for light bass fishing. Bayou, beating the banks, with nothing over 3 pounds. Will probably use small plastics, 1/8 oz shakeyhead and small creature baits, some medium jerks and small to medium cranks.

I have seen the Sustain and it's running about $275-$329. But I figured, while I'm looking, I might want to go up just a "tad" and buy the TWINPOWER. thinking about the 2500 but not sure about the sizing of the reel. Or a 3000? Gonna use 6# and 8# and 10# at most.

Anyone casting a Twinpower? And how do you like it and what do you suggest? Or would the Sustain be just as good a little cheaper. The Twinpower can be had for about $350.

thanks for your input, guys. I gotta have ONE good spinning outfit. Will probably put it on a Dobyns Champion 703 or 702.

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Any Shimano Twinpower reel users?

Post by hobobob » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:28 pm

It must be one of shimano's black sheep. Can't find much info on the 2011 twinpower. I took the plunge and ordered a twinpower 2500S. Just arrived few days ago. Have not fish it yet. First impression, feel very solid and smooth. compare features on paper, it's a major upgrade from the US sustain model as far as I am concern. If you fish light line or braid, shallow spool option is a no brainer. Spool construction is very closed to stella, with solid spool support and additional bearings inside the spool. That accounted for the extra bearing. Drag is smooth and precise. No spool wobble here. No doubt I'll have some fun with this reel this season. I plan to use fluoro 8lb on this reel.

I don't own new sustain, only handled it briefly in store. But the spool option, extra bearing and some minor feature on schematic make it easy for me. I was considered the Vanquish, but I felt the twinpower is better constructed than the vanquish model from looking at the schematics.

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks for the info, HoboBob!

So you feel the shallow spool will be enough? I was undecided about getting the regular 2500 because I thought the spool might be TOO shallow. Maybe I can get one model and get an extra spool later?

But as I said, top line poundage would be 10# and maybe 12#. I prefer my casting gear for 95% of my fishing.

I looked at the schematics myself and came to the very same conclusions as you did. NO ONE in this area has even HEARD of the Twinpower.

I just want something nice, and the Sustain is a little too "Honda-like" to me. Twinpower seems to have a little "verve."
Silly, I know, but that's how I like my stuff!

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:58 pm

I don't plan to go over 10lb test. If the pool hold more than 60 yards. it's good enough for me. I don't cast anywhere near that limit. I have casting for heavier lines. If you don't like the shallow spool, I can alway trade you a regular sustain spool for it. :whistle: Unlike daiwas, shallow spool for shimano reel is more difficult to source.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:13 pm

i have three of the older twinpowers (ca 2006) and love them. i have two 1000's and one 3000. i'm not familiar with the newer model but, if they are anything like the older ones, they are very nice reels.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:30 pm

froteur wrote:i have three of the older twinpowers (ca 2006) and love them. i have two 1000's and one 3000. i'm not familiar with the newer model but, if they are anything like the older ones, they are very nice reels.
+1 My 2005 1000 DH (Dual Handle) is a gr8 reel.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:51 am

If you're using 10-12lb line, I'd opt for the C3000. It's lighter than the 2500 for whatever reason and the extra line capacity Will come in handy over a shallow spool option. I've tried a 2506 Daiwa with 10lb line before and was nearly casting down to the spool. It left little room for a fish to run. If you're using more than a very thin diameter 8lb, I think the deep spool would be best. I have a Sustain, but have been eyeing the Twinpower C3000as well

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:28 am

tywithay wrote:If you're using 10-12lb line, I'd opt for the C3000. It's lighter than the 2500 for whatever reason and the extra line capacity Will come in handy over a shallow spool option. I've tried a 2506 Daiwa with 10lb line before and was nearly casting down to the spool. It left little room for a fish to run. If you're using more than a very thin diameter 8lb, I think the deep spool would be best. I have a Sustain, but have been eyeing the Twinpower C3000as well
Been looking at the C3000 also. Jun on Japan Tackle recommends it for bass fishing. I think the C2000, C2500 and C3000 have the same body. And I also know that if the spool is TOO shallow, line will spin off the top if filled too much, and a deeper spool can be filled just beyond 3/4 full and still be fine.
Still looking. May order from Plat. Just registered with them. I'll have to figure in the ship and handle costs. Seems to hover around $400.

ztcsmd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ztcsmd » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:01 am

Silas--Try this place http://marunouchishop.com/main/shimano_ ... power.html might save you some $$. Contact Akihito Suzuki via their website, I buy all of my JDM equipment from him--great folks!

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:26 am

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/pros ... 363026958/

This Will save you some cash, big time. I buy from this proshopks because they accept Paypal and credit. Just place an order and they'll send an email a couple days later with the cost including shipping. Usually it's between $15-20.

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:29 am

Thanks, guys! I'm looking at BOTH those sites now. I'm going to send some emails and see what the prices and conditions are. I"m getting pumped up now!
I'll keep y'all posted on the outcome!

Then, I'll have to go and look for a ROD to pair with it!!

Any suggestions from you guys who own a Twinpower?

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:29 pm

I've been looking at these Twinpower reels too for a Dobyns Extreme 702 S with the newer tangle free guides. The first stripper guide seems quite small in diameter...barely 5/8" opening...I have a 2500 Sustain FG but it seems like the spool diameter would be too large and you would get lots of line slap on the cast. I have a Stradic FJ 1000 that seems to be a pretty good fit but that's dedicated to a different rod and I don't care for such a short handle. I noticed the Twinpowers have a 2000 size reel. Anyone know how that would be spool/size wise?

BassMan33
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassMan33 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:45 pm

one of our members has them for sale
http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49160

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:06 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Vinnie, on the Dobyns. Hadn't seen that model Dobyns so didn't know it had a small first guide. Maybe I'll have to look around at another rod. A friend of mine has the Dobyns Champion 703SF so I'll put it on his rod first and see what it does.

And, BassMan, I had not seen the post. Thanks! I'm not so sure about the 2500S, being the shallow spool, will be what I want. Holds onl 70 yards of 8# and I may want to go to 10 or 12# for medium cranks. And, from what I've read, you don't want to fill these up to the top or you will get line twist and looping off problems.

The 2500S would be a "tad" shallow. I can see the regular 2500 being ok, since it can hold 120meters of 12#.

One more question: Is there any advantage/disadvantage to the High Speed 6.0:1 vs the 5.2:1 ? I always assumed a high speed would be better. But I don't know the situation with spinning reels. That's why I was looking at the C3000HG

BenWIlks
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BenWIlks » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:34 pm

I used to own a c3000 06 twinpower MG. Regret selling it as it was a fairly unknown model that was awesome.

Huge drag, solid as a rock, 215 grams, smooooth. Not many reels stack up as better value. You can still find them on sale if you look really hard in the 09 model. But the MG is the one you want, different league of reel. On Yahoo auctions JP they still sell for reasonable prices, which speaks volumes.