Spinning reel suggestions

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Spinning reel suggestions

Post by sqhertz » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:57 am

Im looking for some suggestions for a new spinning reel for my 2 piece ML/F Crucial rod. Im looking to spend between $100-150 tops. Ive fished it with my Saros 1000F but would prefer something a bit heavier so its not so tip heavy although i wouldnt mind using a rod balancing kit. A couple that keep coming to mind are the new Saros, Symetre, Supreme XT and the Abu Revo SX. Im sure someone will suggest the Stradic but im not fond of the white craze.

Thanks!

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Spinning reel suggestions

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:17 am

Have a look at the Daiwa freams 2500 . It can be had for had for around the $150 mark from that auction site.

finebar4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finebar4 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:48 am

I would step up to a 2000-2500 on a ML rod if you stay Shimano. I would check out the Quantum Smoke in that price range. I would also watch for a sales rep sample or lightly used Patriarch or Revo Premier. I have seen very recent sales of both these down in your price range. Start watching Cabela's Bargin Basement.....I picked up a Sustain 2500 that a gentleman bought and his wife returned promptly the next day :whistle: for $159 and he already filled it with line. Good deals are out there, you just have to look around a bit for them.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:59 am

Daiwa Lexa or Procyon are nice for around $100-130.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:48 pm

Its a shame you dont like white, the stradic is the best reel in your price range...

skeletor6
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by skeletor6 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:57 pm

the hooligan wrote:Its a shame you dont like white, the stradic is the best reel in your price range...
He''s not lying, on ebay you can get a Shimano Stradic 2500FJ for about $135 new and this reel blows away any competing reel in its price range.

I guess if that is a large deciding factor for you then the next reel I would choose would be the Shimano Saros. The new version that has the X-Ship feature. This is a very nice reel too. Key factors for the decision is the fact that it has X-Ship and the Propulsion line management system on the Shimano's is excellent.

sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sqhertz » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:17 am

Normally i wouldnt let color effect my purchase too much, but ill pass on that one.

Ive narrowed it down to the Saros 2500 or the Revo SX 20. I love my 1000f Saros and these new models are supposed to be better. But i also like the looks of the Abu and if its anything like the older reels ive had, im sure its a solid performer.

Heres one review ive found for the Abu http://www.wired2fish.com/abu-garcia-re ... wed-p17438