Double vs Single handle spinning reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Double vs Single handle spinning reel

Post by Silas » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:33 am

I'm getting in a single handle Twinpower soon and have a vintage double handle Spirex from years ago that I barely ever used.

I like both handles and MAY buy a used Vintage Stella with the double handle, but I don't know the pros and cons of the handles except for weight, which doesn't really concern me, or at least I don't think it does.

Anyone using both the double and single handle, can you give me a pro/con and advantage/disadvantage on them.

I'd like to TRY a double on the Vintage Stella, but don't want to spend that type of money on something I'm going to regret sinmply because of the handle I chose.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Double vs Single handle spinning reel

Post by mrpao » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:25 am

I prefer the single handle. I have some spirex's that it converted to single handles. I used the handles from the stradic's with the wood knobs.
The double handle just feels different to me. Never really could get use to the feel. It does seem to feel a little more balanced though.

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Double vs Single handle spinning reel

Post by Gabriel » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:17 pm

Pro's of double handle.
Balance, no wobble.
Ease of use maybe.
Unique.

Con's.
Heavy.
Some people might fight them awkward but I can't see why.