Abu Revo Gen 3

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Which Abu Revo Gen 3 Reel do you want to read about next?

Abu Revo SX Casting
11%
Abu Revo STX Casting
35%
Abu Revo MGXtreme
40%
Abu Revo Winch
9%
Abu Revo S Spinning
1%
Abu Revo SX Spinning
5%

Total votes: 205

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Abu Revo Gen 3

Post by mark poulson » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:47 am

Bass1980 wrote:Cal, I'm wonder as to why you guys gave AG a free pass on their max brake result? AG advertise 20 lbs and TT only tested it to be a bit over 10lbs. What's the explanation? I know 10 lbs is plenty for LMB but that's false advertising. Many test you guys do is just a few pounds off but this one is almost 50% off. Just wondering what's your thoughts in this.
I also wondered about the drag discrepancy. One of their big selling points when they brought out the Winch was it's stout 20lb. drag, so you could "winch" fish out of the heavy grass. I have to admit I've never had a frog rod reel's drag slip when I've tightened the reel down to max. anyway, but I'm not Bobby Barrack, so I can't horse fish in out of the grass like he does. ;)

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:09 pm

I'm wondering if it's just the reel they got? That is so far off from advertise ratings.

f15h1n6
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by f15h1n6 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:04 am

Ive tried to the Abu Revo for saltwater but the inshore is appealing if you ever fish in saltwater

Oolie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Oolie » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:48 am

For me it has to be the Inshore casting, it's where I do most of my fishing, and it's the one I'm most interested in.

Things that matter are bearing placement, gear smoothness, and drag.

emfry821
Angler
Angler

Post by emfry821 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:17 am

Review the MGXtreme. I own all the top shelf Gen 3 Revos except the MGXtreme. If TT was to give a stellar review of this reel I would definitely purchase one. I would like to know how a reel so light holds up to all freshwater species. Especially a 10+ lb stiper. My 2 cents.

Kyrax
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Kyrax » Mon May 12, 2014 8:07 pm

Hi,

I use the gen 3 stx, i would like to improve brakes performances with lighter lures.
Today, if i engage only one centrifugal brake and magnetic brake set to 10 (full) i have some backslashes.
If i engage two centrifugal brakes with magnetic brake set to 0 (off), brake is too powerfull and distances are very shorter compared to the first settting. I'm a little dissapointed because my shimano caenan is better with light lures (1 centrifugal brake engaged and i can cast from 1/4 oz to 1oz without change settings)

Do you think Abec 7 bearings will make a big difference or it's better to reserve this reel for minimum 3/8 oz lures?
Do you know what's the type of default bearings, abec 3, abec 5 ?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon May 12, 2014 11:37 pm

I'm by no means an expert, but spool weight has more to do with being able to cast light stuff than anything else. The lure has to overcome the inertial of the spool at rest, so the lighter the spool, the less inertia there is to overcome.

Kyrax
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Kyrax » Tue May 13, 2014 12:04 am

I agree with you, spool weight is the most important, we can confirm that by looking BFS spool's weight.
But i remember to increase light lures casting comfort with my curado 51 by adding abec 7 bearings, between original bearings and abec 7, i need to set a little harder brake friction, but there is less backslashes with lighter lures.

But i think you're right, the real "problem" of the new revo stx is the "big" difference between 1 and 2 centrifugal brakes engaged. unfortunately the magnetic break can't make up this difference, and new bearings will not increase breaks performances...

i will use my curado 51 for lighter lures or i will use my fantastic thumb on the revo :)

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:13 am

Why is this still a sticky?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:17 am

It's stuck.

TheRichInc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TheRichInc » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:11 am

I like all my revos I have from the SX to the Premier and all have been very good performers. I am looking into a Rocket also so that would be a nice review

Kyrax
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Kyrax » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:09 am

Just for information, after i bought the stx i had a problem with the thumbar, sometime during fishing, spool was not properly engaged and i missed some fishs...
I checked by unmounting the reel but i found nothing, all parts was properly greased. In fact, the thum bar needed to be pushed hard otherwhise the spool was not engaged. To resolve that, i pushed the thumbar a lot of times and the problem disappeared. It seem a part (clutchplate maybe...) who need a "running-in"

Some friends encountered exactly the same problem , it seem affect all gen 3 revo

max07sti
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by max07sti » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:58 am

I have the STX and it's been a great performer, but the thumb bar has been sticking. Only advise I have is that you must clean and regrease and oil these reels out of the box. Due to over the amount of factor grease used that hinders how smooth the reel real is.

SmallSmallie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SmallSmallie » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:06 am

Still looking for Toro Winch in 51 but is it long discontinued or what?

txlonghorns
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by txlonghorns » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:52 am

My first quality reel was an Abu Revo SX Gen 3. It can be finicky when casting and the thumb bar is hard to push down, but I still enjoy using it. Now that ICAST 2015 is over, I would like to read detailed reviews on the new spinning reels - MGX, Premier, and STX.