problem with my Lew's Tournament Pro Speed Spool Casting Ree

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
matthewj52001
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

problem with my Lew's Tournament Pro Speed Spool Casting Ree

Post by matthewj52001 » Thu May 09, 2013 8:19 am

I have reel for about a yr last fall was using it when a 2lb hit lure after releasing fish noticed reel was hard to turn handle.
I sent the reel into lews and they fixed it and sent it back well last weekend the same thing happened again.
Monkeying around with reel if i loose the drag all the way it spins like it is supposed to but any drag set it reels hard.
Was wondering what the problem is and have others had the same issue. I am gettin tired of sending the reel to be fixed when a few months later the same thing happens

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: problem with my Lew's Tournament Pro Speed Spool Casting

Post by Native » Thu May 09, 2013 9:34 am

I have a couple of the Lews reels which include the Pro Speed and haven't had any issues. Have you contacted Lews about it? That would be my next step ... Share your concerns about the problem and ask the question why it keeps reocurring? And what you might be able to do to prevent it. They are really easy to talk to and should be very willing to chat with you about your concerns. Let us know what they say plz.

CaptBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CaptBob » Sun May 12, 2013 2:42 am

I have 8 Lew's reels and never a problem with any, call and ask for Rick in service and am sure he will take care of you.

tosakilla
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tosakilla » Fri May 17, 2013 12:07 am

Personally I would call lews to see what they had to do to fix the reel when it was sent in. If it was just something becoming misaligned and not a part actually breaking, I would just go in and fix it myself. Only do this if you are comfortable with it though...

Flathead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Flathead » Sat May 18, 2013 8:38 pm

Yeah just call them, I live in Australia and they don't sell Lew's here, i had a recent problem with my Super Duty ( i broke the thumbscrew from over tightening it ) sent Rick and email and a new one arrived in the post 5 days later (Awesome shipping time from the USA).
They even included a couple of new reel bearings also. Just call or email them, they are truly awesome.

Also with the Lews you get a diagram of the reel within the box, this was the first Lews i have taken apart and it was dead easy. just look at the Diagram and it shows where everything should go, it might be something visible and easy to see when you take the cover off. (just make sure you put all the parts in a ice cube tray as you take them off, that way you know the order of operations.