MGX drag upgrade.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

MGX drag upgrade.

Post by D.R. » Thu May 09, 2013 11:47 am

I bought a sets of Carbontex drag washers from Smoothdrag for an upgrade on a REVO MGX-HSH 7.9:1.

It improved the drag from 5 to 8.5 lbs and smoothed it out.

If you are looking for an upgrade, this is one that is worth the $$$.

D.R.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: MGX drag upgrade.

Post by vinnieb729 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:30 pm

Did you install them dry or use something like Cal's grease? I have Shimano reels and have been considering trying some Carbontex drags in a couple. I'm mot looking for maximum drag power...just the smoothest drag possible.

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Thu May 09, 2013 1:47 pm

vinnieb729 wrote:Did you install them dry or use something like Cal's grease? I have Shimano reels and have been considering trying some Carbontex drags in a couple. I'm mot looking for maximum drag power...just the smoothest drag possible.

Hey vinnieb. I upgrade my Shimano's with Carbontex. Always grease them with Cals. Smoother than original, especially those older fibre washers. Try them, you will be impressed.

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Thu May 09, 2013 7:00 pm

Zimbass wrote:
vinnieb729 wrote:Did you install them dry or use something like Cal's grease? I have Shimano reels and have been considering trying some Carbontex drags in a couple. I'm mot looking for maximum drag power...just the smoothest drag possible.

Hey vinnieb. I upgrade my Shimano's with Carbontex. Always grease them with Cals. Smoother than original, especially those older fibre washers. Try them, you will be impressed.
I agree. They will work dry, but are smoother and just as strong with just a touch of cals.

D.R.