Daiwa Project T

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Project T

Post by biggs » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:32 am

E73Bass wrote:
BRbasser wrote:Looks like the same cheap nut covers that Shimano uses.
So Cheap---Explain....They are not heavy enough? They fall off? They dent easily?

Give me an example of a reel that has the same style or design of nut cover that is not cheap...curioius as to what one of those look like.

Thanks,
Eric
Its just a plastic cover.
The covered nut with retainer and retainer screw is a much nicer look IMO.

BRbasser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BRbasser » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:24 am

E73Bass wrote:
So Cheap---Explain....They are not heavy enough? They fall off? They dent easily?

Give me an example of a reel that has the same style or design of nut cover that is not cheap...curioius as to what one of those look like.

Thanks,
Eric
Okay, I guess I should have said. Same cheap nut cover Shimano and Daiwa are using. The cheap, plastic nut cover happened to catch my eye because I was just taking off the the cheap, plastic nut cover off my Scorpion XT and replacing it with a nice nut and plate. Now, is that all better now?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:47 am

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=SjRxIP23CDs

Those guides are HUGE on that rod. It's killing me

BRbasser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BRbasser » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:55 am

Looks like the RCS 1016 spool. I will definitely get me a couple of these reels.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:01 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... jRxIP23CDs

I thought we would have seen something more after episode 9. Guess they are saving the best for last. I will bring one home. Well, after all the dust has settled, and others have determined if any mechanical flaws exist. I hope it's a dandy. Been waiting oh so long for a 200 dollar reel from these guys. Bring it Daiwa! And only 4 more days till TT does a writeup. That's kinda exciting huhhhh :D

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:07 am

9 videos of "wow this is incredible....i can't believe we really sucked as bad as we did!" :lol:

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:09 am

BRbasser wrote:Looks like the RCS 1016 spool. I will definitely get me a couple of these reels.
How can you tell? You have much better eyes than I do.

That would be a fantastic spool to come on a reel in this price range.

DaveJ

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:11 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
BRbasser wrote:Looks like the RCS 1016 spool. I will definitely get me a couple of these reels.
How can you tell? You have much better eyes than I do.

That would be a fantastic spool to come on a reel in this price range.

DaveJ
That's what I was thinking as well. Not sure how you can see a spool under 100 yards of line. The red spool in that type r could very well be rcs though, which would make more sense.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:11 am

BRbasser wrote:
E73Bass wrote:

Thanks,
Eric
Okay, I guess I should have said. Same cheap nut cover Shimano and Daiwa are using. The cheap, plastic nut cover happened to catch my eye because I was just taking off the the cheap, plastic nut cover off my Scorpion XT and replacing it with a nice nut and plate. Now, is that all better now?
I wasn't trying to be a smart arse about my question....still waiting on that example of what a "not cheap" nut cover looks like...you keep referring to the ones that are cheap. Not a nut and plate like you used...but a "good" nut cover.

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:29 pm

E73Bass wrote:still waiting on that example of what a "not cheap" nut cover looks like...you keep referring to the ones that are cheap.
I don't think there is such thing as a non cheap nut cover, they are all cheap.
I think you may be looking into his comment too much.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:55 am

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:05 am

E73Bass wrote:I wasn't trying to be a smart arse about my question....still waiting on that example of what a "not cheap" nut cover looks like...you keep referring to the ones that are cheap. Not a nut and plate like you used...but a "good" nut cover.
i too think that plastic nut covers are cheap and don't like them. the ones on my shimanos are difficult to align with the holes properly and are prone to cracking around the nut cover retaining screw. the daiwa ones line up better and are more durable but i still don't like the way they look. they're cheap because they're plastic and allow the manufacturer to save on a nice-looking closed-end handle nut and metal handle nut retainer.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:21 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-86yRUg ... ata_player

Final video is up. More info on new TWS. Lots of plastic in the linkage. It will be a point of contention as far as durability is concerned.

DaveJ

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:03 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-86yRUg ... ata_player

Final video is up. More info on new TWS. Lots of plastic in the linkage. It will be a point of contention as far as durability is concerned.

DaveJ
X2....Totally agree---the TWS has been termed somewhat "gimmicky" at least as far as the T3's were concerned by some on here. I personally like the idea of the TWS on the Tatula...minus the flip up hood. But this amount of plastic on the Tatula TWS mechanism makes me wonder about its durability. I would have thought that would have also been a concern of the TT staff in their review. I think the Daiwa guys that are fishing constantly and using this reel as their main workhorse will have a better idea about it at this time next year.
I was going to replace 2 Fuego reels with 2 of these in the Type R.....but maybe I will hold off. The Fuego's have hardly been used anyway.

Fishwhittler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fishwhittler » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:10 am

Screenshot:
Daiwa Tatula linkage copy.tiff
Daiwa Tatula linkage copy.tiff (62.84 KiB) Viewed 5408 times
Know what that looks like to me? This:
Shimano Citica linkage copy.tiff
Shimano Citica linkage copy.tiff (83.47 KiB) Viewed 5408 times
I don't see any problem.