left vs. right

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

left vs. right

Post by goldrod » Mon May 13, 2013 2:34 pm

Is there any distinct difference in components between the two aside from where the handle is?
Do companies shy from making left hand reels and if so why do you think?
I baitcast with right hand reels and spinning reels with my left. One would think that I
would use both the same. I tend to believe that the rotation of the handle and the distance
from the axis has more to do with it than anything. Do you agree or disagree, in any case
what's your take and do you find yourself in the same position between spinning and casting

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: left vs. right

Post by lape0019 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:07 pm

I don't beleive there is any real difference.

Manufacturer's definitely shy away from the left hand reels as apparant by the amount of people here going to the Japanese market to source them where they are easier to find. I think here in North America most people reel with their right hand and because there hasn't been that much push for left handed baitcasters, they have limited their production to only a select few models.

The popularity has grown over the years though as more and more left handed models seem to come out every year.

My buddy does the same as you. Spinning gear reels with the left but baitcasters to the right. I actually reel both types of gear with my right hand. I grew up with spinning gear on my right hand and that is how I learned with baitcasters. I did use a left handed core 50 one day and I can honestly see why people would go this route though. Great to have the tod in your dominant hand and it wasn't all that bad reeling eaither.

Adam

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Mon May 13, 2013 11:22 pm

The pinion gear, drive gear, and drive shaft are different parts on left vs right baitcasters. Also, any nut that attaches to the drive shaft will be a different part as well. There are probably a few other parts that I forgot about but there are definitely differences.

I am right hand dominant and like you I would use right hand retrieve baitcasters and left hand retrieve spinners. I made the switch to left hand retrieve baitcasters about 4 years ago and have never looked back. It was the right decision for me. No hand switching after the cast. Lure hits the water, I'm ready to go.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon May 13, 2013 11:34 pm

I write with my left and shoot with my right. I guess I'm just all over the place.

freshsaltangler
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by freshsaltangler » Wed May 15, 2013 1:20 am

agree ... BC right, spinning left
and my right has better fine motor skills compared with my left
able to reel a BC faster with the right instead of the left

switchin hands after or in midcast is no problem
have trained the left thumb to feather some
doesn't make much difference for me especially when it comes to sinking or suspended lures as they need time to sink

as for the dominant hand in control of the rod .. many anglers use their left to support the rod and hold it as the fish runs and/or to horse the fish around
works the same for me should i need my right to support the rod and/or to horse the fish around

a moot issue imho
as long as we're comfortable and it works :big grin:
have no idea bout parts differences tho'

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed May 15, 2013 11:10 am

I think I remember a post that mentioned when there is a right & left version of a reel the right outsells left upwards of 50:1

CaptBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CaptBob » Thu May 16, 2013 1:06 am

I one time read the logic was to accommodate the dominant right handed fisherman. It was said the if you are right handed most hold the baitcasting equipment in their left hand because the right hand runs the reel and on baitcasting equipment most of the retrieval of your fish is with the reel because you are relying on the torque of the reel to do the work and run it with dominant hand, and for spinning gear the rod is what is used to fight the fish, because of the lack of cranking power, so most hold it in there right hand and battle the fish with their dominant hand. I guess it makes sense, I do it because it just seems natural!!

Yes there are quite a few parts that are different as stated, and the fact they are selling to the largest market.