Gen 3 Premier

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Gen 3 Premier

Post by Johnny A » Fri May 17, 2013 10:46 am

It's been a year more or less since I received the Premier 3rd generation. While using it today, I came to the conclusion that I like it. It's basically a new reel from the Gen 2 which was different from the Gen 1. 3 different reels, same name.
The IVCB has grown on me. It is, like most centrifugal brakes, the ultimate delivery system. Point A to Point B, get the weight dialed in and sling that sucka. It's not that sensitive that you need to adjust with every 1/8th or 1/4 weight increment. Especially if you have the ability to adjust your thumb a bit on the spool at the end of a cast.
The drag is reliable and easy to set. I've read people having problems with the cast control knob tightening enough. I think I may have experienced a bit of that as well but it didn't trouble me that much.
There are people who complain about an overly large gear bump or something like that. Really? Compared to much of what's available it's within acceptable guidelines. I mean, it's not a football-sized goiter on something.
It's performed very well in my experience.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Gen 3 Premier

Post by jeb » Sat May 18, 2013 3:32 am

Glad you are happy with it. I've been waiting and waiting for more user level reviews since it came out. There is just zero buzz about this reel on the fishing forums I visit. Nothing at all like all mostly very positive buzz that surrounded the Gen2 Premier's.

I brought up the Gen2 Premier with my fishing buddy yesterday when we were out fishing and I was using one of my rods that has one of my 4 Gen2's on it. That reel is so sweet! Super smooth, even after 2 years of hard use. Just a great, great reel. I think AG really messed up when did such a major rework on it. ALL it needed was a tougher finish. I understand AG thinks the IVCB is a step up, but it's rare that you read a review by a user that has used both the Gen2 Premier and an MGX that would agree with that. I have both, and consider the IVCB to be below the Gen2 Premier's braking system. My MGX lives below decks as a spare reel, and all of my Gen2 Premier's are still on rods and being used.

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Sat May 18, 2013 7:10 am

The Gen 2 and 3 Premiers are great reels. I have the Gen 2 Premier and MGX and really enjoy both but believe that AG unintentionally divided its user groups by stepping up the Gen 3 Premier with the IVCB brakes and upgrading the STX with the two brake configuration previously on last years Premier. If this trend continues, it may mean the elimination of the 2 brake config. completely in the near future.

The IVCB arrangement is almost stupid easy to use while the other 2 brake arrangement is, in my opinion, for the more experienced user that knows how to squeeze a bit more performance from a 2 brake configuration.

The Pflueger line up has had the same basic configuration of the Gen 2 Premier for years and seem to have a very staunch following of users also. I bought a couple of those reels recently and have grown quite fond of them for the same reason I enjoy using my Gen 2 Premier.

Ultimately, I hope Pure Fishing doesn't get stupid with the Pflueger line up if AG is going to get rid of the 2 brake arrangements in their line up in forthcoming years; they'd lose too many users in the long run who prefer the 2 brake arrangement. :crying:

Just my $.02.

Tim

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Sat May 18, 2013 10:05 am

I was hoping the Gen3 STX was the answer to AG messing up, IMO, the Gen3 Premier. I bought one right when they hit the shelfs and have used it quite a bit. It's a good reel, and a great bang-for-your-buck deal! But over the months, I've come to realize it's just not as good as the Gen2 Premier. It's a little more geary, not quite as smooth. I ran it for a while on stock bearings and on Orange Seals (with seals pulled). I like the reel, but I think my Gen2 Premier's are still better.

I was a huge fan of AG before Gen3 hit. Now there is literally nothing in their low profile reel line that intrests me in the least. Sad deal.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat May 18, 2013 11:07 am

jeb wrote:I was hoping the Gen3 STX was the answer to AG messing up, IMO, the Gen3 Premier. I bought one right when they hit the shelfs and have used it quite a bit. It's a good reel, and a great bang-for-your-buck deal! But over the months, I've come to realize it's just not as good as the Gen2 Premier. It's a little more geary, not quite as smooth. I ran it for a while on stock bearings and on Orange Seals (with seals pulled). I like the reel, but I think my Gen2 Premier's are still better.

I was a huge fan of AG before Gen3 hit. Now there is literally nothing in their low profile reel line that intrests me in the least. Sad deal.
I'm keeping the 3 Gen 2 Premiers I have and am a bit sorry I sold off two others.

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Sat May 18, 2013 4:20 pm

Johnny A wrote: I'm keeping the 3 Gen 2 Premiers I have and am a bit sorry I sold off two others.
Being on the receiving end of that sale I am extremely happy. Sorry man! :D :D

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Sat May 18, 2013 5:54 pm

Give the Pflueger Patriarch a look. They are a real nice reel and easily on par with if not better than the Gen 2 Premiers. As a matter of fact, Tacklewarehouse has a "demo" reel arrangement you can take advantage of, your basic try before you buy teaser. I'm sure you'll enjoy the Patriarch, I know I did and I bought 2 of them. :big grin:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Pflueger ... PPTCR.html

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Sun May 19, 2013 2:35 am

Thanks Native, sharp looking reel. But at 8oz, it's just not on the same stage as the Gen2 Premier or the Gen3 STX/Premier.

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Sun May 19, 2013 3:38 am

jeb wrote:Thanks Native, sharp looking reel. But at 8oz, it's just not on the same stage as the Gen2 Premier or the Gen3 STX/Premier.
Perhaps so but we're talking 5.6/5.9 vs. 8 oz. not really big numbers here in exchange for some great performance. Different strokes obviously but my point was we do have choices as long as we don't mind small concessions. What have you got to lose with the demo? I think you'll be surprised. Having both of the reels we're referencing, I don't feel the difference and I have them on some pretty light sticks.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Sun May 19, 2013 4:21 am

I've owned the gen 2 and gen 3 and I prefer the older gen 2. A little heavier but easier to hold and I like the dual braking.

Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Quillback » Sun May 19, 2013 9:20 pm

There are still lots of new and used Gen 2 Premiers that pop up for sale on the fishing forums and the auction site. You can usually get one at a good price compared to the days when they retailed for $279.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Sun May 19, 2013 11:06 pm

Native wrote:The Gen 2 and 3 Premiers are great reels. I have the Gen 2 Premier and MGX and really enjoy both but believe that AG unintentionally divided its user groups by stepping up the Gen 3 Premier with the IVCB brakes and upgrading the STX with the two brake configuration previously on last years Premier.
Actually, the STX had the dual braking in the Gen2 reels also.
The Pflueger line up has had the same basic configuration of the Gen 2 Premier for years and seem to have a very staunch following of users also. I bought a couple of those reels recently and have grown quite fond of them for the same reason I enjoy using my Gen 2 Premier.
Pure Fishing messed up the Pflueger line too, IMO. In the early days of the G2 reels, Pflueger had a Premier knock off but with a more scratch resistant finish and thumbar. It was called the Patriarch XT LP. For whatever reason, they stopped making them and only offered the STX equivalent.

robertrinaustin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robertrinaustin » Mon May 20, 2013 2:14 am

jeb wrote:
Native wrote:The Gen 2 and 3 Premiers are great reels. I have the Gen 2 Premier and MGX and really enjoy both but believe that AG unintentionally divided its user groups by stepping up the Gen 3 Premier with the IVCB brakes and upgrading the STX with the two brake configuration previously on last years Premier.
Actually, the STX had the dual braking in the Gen2 reels also.
Pure Fishing messed up the Pflueger line too, IMO. In the early days of the G2 reels, Pflueger had a Premier knock off but with a more scratch resistant finish and thumbar. It was called the Patriarch XT LP. For whatever reason, they stopped making them and only offered the STX equivalent.
The Patriarch XT is one of my favorite reels of all time, light weight, very smooth, great drag and cast a mile. I'd trade my 3 Gen 2 Premiers for 3 XTs.

I'll try a new STX. Honestly, my hope is it's 80% as good as the G2 Premier and I'll be happy. And if I like the STX, I'll try a new Premier.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon May 20, 2013 2:32 am

I tried 3 of them and after using one for a few trips I went back to gen 2 and lews. That hump which I thought was a non problem being a lefty became really annoying.