New shimano ci4?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
antoniolopez944
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

New shimano ci4?

Post by antoniolopez944 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:01 pm

I was on tacklewarehouse and thay had the shimano ci4 on sale and usually when they put a shimano product on sale it means the replacement is on the way

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: New shimano ci4?

Post by MondayMonkey » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:56 pm

I hope they redesign it. Great reel but ugly color scheme and god awful eva foam knob.

edit: it's only $10 off probably just have too many or got a good deal on a batch for second quarter

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:37 am

According to TT Facebook post it is being discontinued. According to TW Shimano is no longer going to make the Static ci4.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:51 am

Shimano USA Ci4 spinning reels have fallen behind in technology to Shimano Japan spinners. I wouldn't be surprised if Shimano USA releases a new spinning reel with more updated carbon material. As a matter of fact, I've been waiting...

basskeeter1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basskeeter1 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:12 am

I love the CI4's, I have like 8 of them ranging from 1000 - 4000. Might just have to pick up a few for back up. Thanks for the info.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:14 am

Not much of a sale.

The 2500 is $189 whereas it is normally $199.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:36 pm

Considering all the new models have X-ship the ci4 is behind the curve and due for a overhaul

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:32 pm

Some very cool things to come this summer...not many reels but 1 or 2

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:59 am

fishingandfords wrote:Considering all the new models have X-ship the ci4 is behind the curve and due for a overhaul
X-ship is not the only reason why the USDM Ci4 needs an overhaul. X-ship is not IMO, what will bring Shimano's current lineup "up to date" either, as this design has been around for a long time.

IMO, it is Shimano finding a balance between market demand, pricing, production costs, re-badging/re-naming on like platforms, etc., that has had the brand (USDM anyway) a little "lost" the last few years.

The CU D was a great reel, but aside the 100D, it was deemed too large, heavy and bulky to really compete in the market, especially with the Abu Revo and other like OEMs coming to market at the same time. The later "watering down" of the CH name with a re-badged CU did not help matters either. At least with the newest spinners in the Stradic and Sustain line-up, they are once again headed in the "right" direction.

I hope to see more of what made Shimano the legacy that it is...reels like the first couple/few gens of CH, CU, Stradic, Sustain, Calcutta, Calais...IMO.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:40 am

dragon1 wrote:IMO, it is Shimano finding a balance between market demand, pricing, production costs, re-badging/re-naming on like platforms, etc., that has had the brand (USDM anyway) a little "lost" the last few years.

The CU D was a great reel, but aside the 100D, it was deemed too large, heavy and bulky to really compete in the market, especially with the Abu Revo and other like OEMs coming to market at the same time. The later "watering down" of the CH name with a re-badged CU did not help matters either. At least with the newest spinners in the Stradic and Sustain line-up, they are once again headed in the "right" direction.
Very well said Van !
dragon1 wrote:I hope to see more of what made Shimano the legacy that it is...reels like the first couple/few gens of CH, CU, Stradic, Sustain, Calcutta, Calais...IMO.
X2 on this ...

I too hope we soon see a return crop of Shimano reels that can follow the representation of engineering quality these have shown ...

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:31 am

most likely we'll see a Ci4+ reel w/ X-Ship

I never really liked the Ci4 because of the wobble. The newer Ci4+ reels from Japan doesn't seem to have the issue anymore. I love my two Vanquish and my Cardiff Ci4+

I'm guessing we'll be getting something similar to the Rarenium Ci4+, but most likely a watered down version and probably with a different paint scheme.

rustynutts
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by rustynutts » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:25 am

ah_long wrote:most likely we'll see a Ci4+ reel w/ X-Ship

I never really liked the Ci4 because of the wobble. The newer Ci4+ reels from Japan doesn't seem to have the issue anymore. I love my two Vanquish and my Cardiff Ci4+

I'm guessing we'll be getting something similar to the Rarenium Ci4+, but most likely a watered down version and probably with a different paint scheme.
That's exactly what it sounded like when I went to a presentation at a tackle shop near me. XShip was coming across the board, and Ci4+ was may times stronger than the current. They had Kenichi Iida there, he pretty much came out and said that.
The funny thing is he and the staff of the shop pretty much guaranteed that the current core wasn't going anywhere, but the rumors don't sound that way.

mjhproductions
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by mjhproductions » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:20 am

The old Ci4 is being replaced with a Ci4 with X-ship, one of the local reps had one on him at the tackle shop I was not thier to ask about it. But their will be a new Ci4 at Icast.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:15 pm

well dang I just bought a Ci4 a few weeks ago. Figures. :(

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:51 pm

Hope they change that knob, I didn't care for it. If they stay eva the Sustain knob is much nicer.