Chronarch 50mg and Core 50mg

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dqphysics
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Chronarch 50mg and Core 50mg

Post by dqphysics » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:56 pm

I know it is JDM, but the Scorpion MG 1001 has been readily available on the bidding site for around $160 or so. I now have two and while I cannot compare it to the Ch 50mg, I have heard it is the same except with the added value of having external brake controls. Great little reel.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:51 am

Falcon makes a great ML rod for small cranks:
CCB-3-17SH
Shoal Cranker
ML
MS
8-15 lb
1/4 to 1/2 oz
7’
10”
The 7’ rod of choice for making those long casts with shallow to mid-depth crankbaits and lipless baits.
It's on their website, under Cara Reaction. Click on rod models.

PancakeFace22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PancakeFace22 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:54 am

I have 3 Core 50Mg7s and I absolutely love them. So far they are my favorite casting reels ever made. Mine are only used for fishing soft plastics though, so I don't know how well they would handle cranking.
dragon1 wrote:
Crankbaitmaker wrote:I have been using a Kistler Argon 6'9" crankbait rod and a Chronarch 50 MG loaded with 10lb. BPS mono to throw #5 and #7 Shad Raps for the past 4 yrs. On the #5 I replace the belly hook with a #6 Owner ST-41 trebble. It does an excellent job.
I will admit.... the Aldebaran MG sounds like a real good choice too.
Crankbaitmaker
That is a great length for those sized Shad Raps...years ago Falcon manufactured a 6'9" ML Expert and I had mine paired with an original Burgundy color Scorpion 1000. Anything from just shy of 1/4 to upwards of 3/8oz was absolutely in the sweet spot for this combo. I have yet to fish another factory rod that fished like this original Expert...miss that combo for sure!

Another overlooked reel that can do the job, while being smoother, more powerful than the listed reels, and is about as good as it gets in an LP Shimano for cranks IMO; is the Calais 100/Antares AR. That is my choice for LP cranking/open water power-cranking techs. Casts incredibly well, and is as good as it gets for the feel and function that made Shimano famous.

Good luck!
I recently found one of those Falcon Expert 6'9" light casting rods on clearance in a local tackle shop and had to buy it. I put one of my Core 50s on it and spooled it with 7lb Super FC Sniper.

That is the most fun to fish casting combo I've ever used. I have only had it for a couple of months and I've already caught a 6lb 1oz and a 7lb 6oz largemouth, and my new personal best: a 9lb 13oz largemouth on this combo.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:10 pm

mrpao wrote:May I suggest an Aldebaran MG.
The JDM version of the Core50.
It comes in two gear ratios. 5.8:1 and 7:1
5.8:1 gear ratio is great for smaller cranks.
I use mine for cranks and spinnerbaits. Does a great job.
You can get a new one shipped cheaper than a new Core 50.
Just curious why you might suggest the Aldebaran over the Core? Essentially the same reel with different colors. Where are you finding new ones shipped for less than a new Core? I did see some on Ebay around 325 plus another 25 shipped. Did you find any cheaper?

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:35 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Just curious why you might suggest the Aldebaran over the Core? Essentially the same reel with different colors. Where are you finding new ones shipped for less than a new Core? I did see some on Ebay around 325 plus another 25 shipped. Did you find any cheaper?

Same reels but different gear ratio and way nicer looking. There going for 285 on rakuten

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:51 am

I've had both, definitely preferred the smaller size of the core 51.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:01 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
The 5.8 option is one big reason for an Alde suggestion...and it does have the "cool"/more rare factor, being JDM and the fact that the Yen was so high for a while, it made the Alde much more expensive for a good period of time

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:36 am

Regarding the original post - How do the drags compare between the CH 50MG and the Core 50MG? Does the Chronarch only produce 5 lbs. of drag pressure like the original Scorpion and Scorpion MG without an upgrade?