Chronarch CI4+

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Chronarch CI4+

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:08 am

Bantam1 wrote:The Chronarch did not sell well with the $300 price tag. Some just made the jump to the Core for an additional $50. Others went down to the Curado E. It was the best Chronarch we have made to date, but too expensive for most anglers. Once it was realized how good the reel was, it was just too late. They were discontinued and long gone. Japan decided to continue using the tooling with the Exsence DC but gave it a tweak to the handle side and added X-Ship.

The new Chronarch is not built on the same tooling as the current Metanium. They have very different shapes. From the photo angle it is hard to tell, but trust me it is not the same. I actually like the shape of the Chronarch a little more.
Speaking of the Exsence DC, that is another reel that doesn't get enough "ink", just like the CH D when it was in production here.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:16 am

Bantam1 wrote:The new Chronarch is not built on the same tooling as the current Metanium. They have very different shapes. From the photo angle it is hard to tell, but trust me it is not the same.
Dan can you disclose at this point the origin of production for the New Chronarch Ci4+ ?

STEEZMAN2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by STEEZMAN2 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:43 am

STEEZMAN2 wrote:So after watching the video and comparing pics to the 2013 metanium, to me it looks like they made the fine tuning wheel larger and relocated it on the C14+. What I am unclear on is do you still go in and set brake blocks and then have a fine tuning adjustment or is the new design of the SVS 100% adjustable from the exterior of the reel? Zona implies that all adjustment is done from the outside.

This reel looks really nice!
Bump.

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:46 am

mrpao wrote:I don't think the D7 was a poor mans Calais.

And to me x-ship doesn't mean much. Some of my JDM reels have it and can't tell much of a difference.
I would disagree with you mrpao regarding x-ship. You will feel it when you get a fish on the end of your line and you are cranking him in as hard as you can. I fought a 42lb tuna with the calcutta 200D reel and the reel stays smooth when I'm cranking heavily with my drag locked up to try to get the fish into the boat. X-ship with this new reel is definitely a great thing. I can't wait to get my hands on one or actually two of them since my brother wants one as well.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:58 am

I am interested in checking the new reel out...I should have picked up a d when I had the chance but still have a 100a, 100sf, and metanium xt...only the 100a shows any use...the other two are flawless. Hopefully, the new version will carry on the past chronarch tradition.

FishyFingers
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FishyFingers » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:17 pm

On Zona's Facebook he says it weighs 6.6oz and will retail for $269

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:11 am

beezy wrote:
mrpao wrote:I don't think the D7 was a poor mans Calais.

And to me x-ship doesn't mean much. Some of my JDM reels have it and can't tell much of a difference.
I would disagree with you mrpao regarding x-ship. You will feel it when you get a fish on the end of your line and you are cranking him in as hard as you can. I fought a 42lb tuna with the calcutta 200D reel and the reel stays smooth when I'm cranking heavily with my drag locked up to try to get the fish into the boat. X-ship with this new reel is definitely a great thing. I can't wait to get my hands on one or actually two of them since my brother wants one as well.
Curious that a CT 200 TE GT and Conquest 200 wouldn't be the same feel under this condition?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:44 pm

I'm just pleased that both heavy hitters are bringing something worthwhile to the party this year to feed my addiction. So far things look much brighter than last year.

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:41 pm

Nytron wrote:
aqua71 wrote:CI4+ material = deal breaker for me. I'll stick with my D7's.
You won't buy a reel because it contains a material you have yet to use? LOL okay, you do that. :crying: [-X

Seriously though, your sentiment is asinine. You are implying shimano stick with an old aluminum bulky design, versus leading the industry with these new reels with lightweight carbon construction? D7 are heavy, but have a smooth retrieve feel. It was a poor man's Calais. Wait for the new Antares/Calais HG if you want a tank for a reel. Enthusiast fisherman care more about fishability & casting performance than retrieve feel.

I cannot wait to buy one of these. I will probably get two or three. Hopefully they make these in a 50 size (*cough* bantam1). I wonder if they are discontinuing the core, as these reels are probably better in every way?
The occasional clown factor never ceases to amaze me! Heaven forbid someone has an opinion that some 15 year old doesn’t agree with. Not to mention making baseless comments when they know nothing about you. Carry on Mr. Enthusiast fisherman .....

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:40 am

x2

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:48 am

Nytron wrote:
You won't buy a reel because it contains a material you have yet to use? LOL okay, you do that. :crying: [-X

Seriously though, your sentiment is asinine. You are implying shimano stick with an old aluminum bulky design, versus leading the industry with these new reels with lightweight carbon construction? D7 are heavy, but have a smooth retrieve feel. It was a poor man's Calais. Wait for the new Antares/Calais HG if you want a tank for a reel. Enthusiast fisherman care more about fishability & casting performance than retrieve feel.

I cannot wait to buy one of these. I will probably get two or three. Hopefully they make these in a 50 size (*cough* bantam1). I wonder if they are discontinuing the core, as these reels are probably better in every way?[/quo

NYTRON
IF you think the d7s were heavy then you need to take off the skirt, and enthusiast fisherman like myself do care about retrieve feel. this new material will never be as good as aluminum,its just a way of saving money on building costs.
Last edited by phatbass on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:02 am

aqua71 wrote:
Nytron wrote:

I cannot wait to buy one of these. I will probably get two or three. Hopefully they make these in a 50 size (*cough* bantam1). I wonder if they are discontinuing the core, as these reels are probably better in every way?
The occasional clown factor never ceases to amaze me! Heaven forbid someone has an opinion that some 15 year old doesn’t agree with. Not to mention making baseless comments when they know nothing about you. Carry on Mr. Enthusiast fisherman .....
Asinine? That's kinda harsh. Leading the industry with lightweight carbon construction? That seems like more of an asinine statement to me. Wonder if the Core is being discontinued - Do you read these forums? Enthusiast fisherman care more about casting performance than retrieve feel? 1st, what defines enthusiast? 2nd - I don't think so. The D7 was a wise man's Calais. I HATE the term poor man. I'll take aluminum please. I usually don't butt in, but really? You should just respond to this thread with a simple apology.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:48 am

So, how does this reel fish? Just figured since everyone has their mind made up, they must have a lot of water time with it. Why not reseeve judgment until it has actually been released. This material has not been used on any significant pieces of a USDM reel before, so how do we already know it feels, reels, and casts worse than a D7?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:43 am

phatbass wrote:
Nytron wrote:

I cannot wait to buy one of these. I will probably get two or three. Hopefully they make these in a 50 size (*cough* bantam1). I wonder if they are discontinuing the core, as these reels are probably better in every way?[/quo

NYTRON
IF you think the d7s were heavy then you need to take off the skirt, and enthusiast fisherman like myself do care about retrieve feel. this new material will never be as good as aluminum,its just a way of saving money on building costs.
Yeah, I'm with ya. Aluminum or glorified plastic, hmmm let me think. People can tell me how great these composites are till they're blue in the face. It reminds me of as a kid playing with plastic and die cast aluminum cars. Companies can use these cheaper materials and net just as much profit if not more. Plenty of companies produce all aluminum lightweight reels. I'm not blasting this new reel, I simply don't appreciate the trend. Less quality, same or more money doesn't add up in my book. Plastic is just that - plastic. I wanna fish not play with Legos. I'm not sure how someone could assume these will be better than the Cores. They cost less because they're not magnesium. Throw in a new braking system and some bling and voila. I thought Quantum had a patent on the externally adjustable cent. braking, thus why they stopped using such a system on the Scorpion.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:33 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
phatbass wrote:
Nytron wrote:

NYTRON
Yeah, I'm with ya. Aluminum or glorified plastic, hmmm let me think. People can tell me how great these composites are till they're blue in the face. It reminds me of as a kid playing with plastic and die cast aluminum cars. Companies can use these cheaper materials and net just as much profit if not more. Plenty of companies produce all aluminum lightweight reels. I'm not blasting this new reel, I simply don't appreciate the trend. Less quality, same or more money doesn't add up in my book. Plastic is just that - plastic. I wanna fish not play with Legos. I'm not sure how someone could assume these will be better than the Cores. They cost less because they're not magnesium. Throw in a new braking system and some bling and voila. I thought Quantum had a patent on the externally adjustable cent. braking, thus why they stopped using such a system on the Scorpion.

very well put =D>