Daiwa's "New Species"

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
daiwa_fan_91
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Daiwa's "New Species"

Post by daiwa_fan_91 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:45 am

I don't care about weight either....my lex 300 power handle model is light to me and i can fish all day fine with it so this reel is going to be light as a feather to me lol.

I wonder how much better the type-r will be compared to the regular tatula. it looks better but how much more better does it perform i wonder.....

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:32 am

daiwa_fan_91 wrote:I don't care about weight either....my lex 300 power handle model is light to me and i can fish all day fine with it so this reel is going to be light as a feather to me lol.

I wonder how much better the type-r will be compared to the regular tatula. it looks better but how much more better does it perform i wonder.....

x2!!!
I swing a 22oz hammer pick up 3/4 sheets of plywood all day and an 8oz reel is not heavy!! And I have TDZ s T3s TDX's Zillions and non of them feel heavy to me.JMO

Jeff
RiverValleyCrankbaits

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:18 pm

jwfflipper14 wrote:
daiwa_fan_91 wrote:I don't care about weight either....my lex 300 power handle model is light to me and i can fish all day fine with it so this reel is going to be light as a feather to me lol.

x2!!!
I swing a 22oz hammer pick up 3/4 sheets of plywood all day and an 8oz reel is not heavy!! And I have TDZ s T3s TDX's Zillions and non of them feel heavy to me.JMO

Jeff
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Some men still left in the FW bass fishing arena, eh? Good to read...of course, if one has physical limitations, then I understand.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:47 pm

Sure do want to try one of the Type R models but I never get along with magnetic braking systems. I played hockey for many years and I cast a lot like I take a slapshot (low to the side) and I use the same rist snap at the end and that doesnt end well with the magnets.Thats the main reason Ive stayed with Shimano and Abu. Well I guess I have to learn sometime and this seems like a good place to start. :D

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:12 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:Sure do want to try one of the Type R models but I never get along with magnetic braking systems. I played hockey for many years and I cast a lot like I take a slapshot (low to the side) and I use the same rist snap at the end and that doesnt end well with the magnets.Thats the main reason Ive stayed with Shimano and Abu. Well I guess I have to learn sometime and this seems like a good place to start. :D
Switch your casting style to a 'wrister' instead of a slap shot and you will be fine.

DaveJ

Hooked_On_Bass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Hooked_On_Bass » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:43 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
JBcrankaddict wrote:Sure do want to try one of the Type R models but I never get along with magnetic braking systems. I played hockey for many years and I cast a lot like I take a slapshot (low to the side) and I use the same rist snap at the end and that doesnt end well with the magnets.Thats the main reason Ive stayed with Shimano and Abu. Well I guess I have to learn sometime and this seems like a good place to start. :D
Switch your casting style to a 'wrister' instead of a slap shot and you will be fine.

DaveJ
:lol:

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:50 pm

Yeah the wrister for sure. Just have to get used to that smooth casting motion again. Ive owned a few Daiwas briefly (Zillion,Steez)but didnt own them long enough to get used to them.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:33 pm

What's this wrist casting you're talking about? I bring the rod back, push forward with my right hand, pull back with my left hand, and try to do my best to break the rod mid-cast. :D

Haven't had braking issues yet with the Daiwas but I guess I do find the Shimanos a little easier to cast with that style. Daiwa wins on distance though.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:01 am

Yeah its unconvetional I know but I dont cast overhand,usually always somewhat sidearm. If casting overhand theres no way to snap it at the end but to the side it does seem to speed up right before being released. I guess I dont totally rely on the road to load up as much.....this is usually with light baits (rc0.5,flat mini sr) not heavy,no problems there

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:06 am

"Wrist casting" in my book requires a pistol grip... ;)

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:22 am

tywithay wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:Was I the 1st to get to read the write up/review? :D I viewed it at 4 am. One benefit of working nights I suppose :crying: Best value award already. That seems impressive. No mention of what is different about the Type R though. Sounds like it's gonna be a good one that has great potential with a little tuning. The fact that it is a bit wider than the Lexa worries me a bit as I have small hands. I would like to mount one before purchase and get a feel for it. 20 adjustments on the brake dial may also take some getting use to. I wonder if the Type R has bearings on the level wind and 2 more under the knobs. It has to be something. Can't just be extra frame ports and a red spool....can it?
I read it as well. I think I am just going to spring for the plain old Tatula, rather than the Type R; unless something amazing comes out after ICast that the Type R warrants the price. For that extra $50 I can essentially buy some OS7 spool bearings, a couple levelwind bearings, and knob bearings; then be ready to rock and roll. I really like everything about this reel from what I have seen and read so far. If weight is the only negativity thus far, sign me up for a whole fleet. I am one of the few people that actually thought the Z was kind of small when I opened the box. I expected it to be bigger. If this reel is around the same size as a Zillion, it'll be right in my wheel house. I'm impressed...
Ty, but what if the Type R comes with level wind bearings instead of bushings, and 4 bearings in the handle? Granted it's not gonna have OS7 spool bearings, but you are getting the Zaion drag star. Have you already started thinking about what color nut and retainer your gonna go with? I think I recall you saying something about being burnt out on red from another thread. Can't wait to see some pics of pimp my ride hits Tatula :big grin: Please post as soon as you get one to give us the skinny - I know you will.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:16 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
tywithay wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:Was I the 1st to get to read the write up/review? :D I viewed it at 4 am. One benefit of working nights I suppose :crying: Best value award already. That seems impressive. No mention of what is different about the Type R though. Sounds like it's gonna be a good one that has great potential with a little tuning. The fact that it is a bit wider than the Lexa worries me a bit as I have small hands. I would like to mount one before purchase and get a feel for it. 20 adjustments on the brake dial may also take some getting use to. I wonder if the Type R has bearings on the level wind and 2 more under the knobs. It has to be something. Can't just be extra frame ports and a red spool....can it?
I read it as well. I think I am just going to spring for the plain old Tatula, rather than the Type R; unless something amazing comes out after ICast that the Type R warrants the price. For that extra $50 I can essentially buy some OS7 spool bearings, a couple levelwind bearings, and knob bearings; then be ready to rock and roll. I really like everything about this reel from what I have seen and read so far. If weight is the only negativity thus far, sign me up for a whole fleet. I am one of the few people that actually thought the Z was kind of small when I opened the box. I expected it to be bigger. If this reel is around the same size as a Zillion, it'll be right in my wheel house. I'm impressed...
Ty, but what if the Type R comes with level wind bearings instead of bushings, and 4 bearings in the handle? Granted it's not gonna have OS7 spool bearings, but you are getting the Zaion drag star. Have you already started thinking about what color nut and retainer your gonna go with? I think I recall you saying something about being burnt out on red from another thread. Can't wait to see some pics of pimp my ride hits Tatula :big grin: Please post as soon as you get one to give us the skinny - I know you will.
From that other post of the tatula specs it shows the Type R having the same bearing count at 7+1 with the difference being that two of those are crbb. The TT review said 8+1 on the Tatula so there's a chance it's wrong, but I can't see them sacrificing bearings in other locations to add to the levelwind or handle unless it indeed has 10 or so.

if the porting, star, and red is worth $50, I'll stick with the stock one and pimp it out like you said. I don't 'like' a plastic drag star, but don't hate it either. At least it clicks. I'm wondering if I can take a #40 or #50 drill bit and drill the top of the frame with 4-5 holes and port it myself lol. It'd look more like the zillion that way

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:29 am

Did TT get a Type R and basic or just the basic?

Any way to get some photos next to some of the other popular reels out there for comparison sake?

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:38 am

tywithay wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
tywithay wrote:
From that other post of the tatula specs it shows the Type R having the same bearing count at 7+1 with the difference being that two of those are crbb. The TT review said 8+1 on the Tatula so there's a chance it's wrong, but I can't see them sacrificing bearings in other locations to add to the levelwind or handle unless it indeed has 10 or so.

if the porting, star, and red is worth $50, I'll stick with the stock one and pimp it out like you said. I don't 'like' a plastic drag star, but don't hate it either. At least it clicks. I'm wondering if I can take a #40 or #50 drill bit and drill the top of the frame with 4-5 holes and port it myself lol. It'd look more like the zillion that way
The Zaion drag stars are spectacular in 'real' life.One of the most attractive components of late.I managed to get a couple off of the Japanese auction sites.Cost me more than $50 each :shock:
I will happily pay the extra $50 just for that 'work of art' =P~

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:37 am

africanbass wrote: The Zaion drag stars are spectacular in 'real' life.One of the most attractive components of late.I managed to get a couple off of the Japanese auction sites.Cost me more than $50 each :shock:
I will happily pay the extra $50 just for that 'work of art' =P~
Should be able to order them through Daiwa USA after they release the Tatula, no? Surely they'll have spares for replacement parts in case someone breaks theirs.