What's up with Daiwa's website specs?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
PittsBoy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: What's up with Daiwa's website specs?

Post by PittsBoy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:50 am

for the service I don't know... but I bought my 2506 for 260$ (shipping include, no taxes)

aditud
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aditud » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:57 am

PittsBoy wrote:for the service I don't know... but I bought my 2506 for 260$ (shipping include, no taxes)
Wow! Mind sharing some details? I'm tempted. Thanks!

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:43 am

aditud wrote:
PittsBoy wrote:for the service I don't know... but I bought my 2506 for 260$ (shipping include, no taxes)
http://digitaka.com/item.php?icid=6&id=956

$250 with free shipping today. The yen is very nice at the moment

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:48 am

tywithay wrote:
aditud wrote:
http://digitaka.com/item.php?icid=6&id=956

$250 with free shipping today. The yen is very nice at the moment
The Luvias is probably the best value for a reel right now.

PittsBoy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PittsBoy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:10 am

You're right, this reel is so smooth, light and well built. When I took it to my local dealer who doesn't know a lot about JDM, he was so impressed. He thought it was a $500 reel :D

aditud
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aditud » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:57 pm

PittsBoy wrote:You're right, this reel is so smooth, light and well built. When I took it to my local dealer who doesn't know a lot about JDM, he was so impressed. He thought it was a $500 reel :D
Did you find that the advertised weight of 205g (~7.2oz) to be accurate? And I don't get how the parcel from digitaka won't go through customs...are the JDM reels not taxable items?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:03 pm

aditud wrote:
PittsBoy wrote:You're right, this reel is so smooth, light and well built. When I took it to my local dealer who doesn't know a lot about JDM, he was so impressed. He thought it was a $500 reel :D
Did you find that the advertised weight of 205g (~7.2oz) to be accurate? And I don't get how the parcel from digitaka won't go through customs...are the JDM reels not taxable items?
It will go through customs, but there's probably a 99% chance you won't be charged any duties. I have bought a handful of reels from Japan and know several others, have only heard of a couple times people were charged for reels. Rods on the other hand, you're almost a sure bet to get stuck with the extra fees.

aditud
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aditud » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:49 pm

OK. Now, as I've never touched a JDM, how are they sized? I see in pictures they all have very shallow spools (don't mind that, I use Stroft GTM, very thin line, the 5.3lb test is hardly 0.0059in thick, i.e. thinner than most decent 4lb monos out there). But other than that? Looks like the Luvias 1003 is tiny (UL, SL). How do the 2004 and 2506 compare sidewise? Can you compare them with some US market reels, say Fuego. Is it that the Luvias 2004 is the size of the Fuego 1500a and the Luvias 2506 the size of the Fuego 2000a? Never mind the spools, I get it that they're a lot shallower on the Luvias. Also, does the 2506 have the T-knob (like the US market 2500+ sizes)? That would be a put-off. How about the 2506h?

Thanks guys! Sorry about so many questions, but I am a complete JDM illiterate.

And, most importantly, do you need to be fluent in Japanese to operate these reels optimally :lol: ?

PittsBoy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PittsBoy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:38 am

- I don't think there is any difference size wise with usdm. I also own a fuego and the luvias is smoother for sure!
- I did not weight it so I can't help you on this one.
- The knob is a small black knob like on a 2000 size.
- For the taxes I never pay taxes when shipped with EMS (reel, rod (2 pieces), lures...). Mine wasn't ordered from Digitaka so I don't know... if they use UPS, you can expect to pay taxes.

aditud
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aditud » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:55 am

PittsBoy wrote:- I don't think there is any difference size wise with usdm. I also own a fuego and the luvias is smoother for sure!
- I did not weight it so I can't help you on this one.
- The knob is a small black knob like on a 2000 size.
- For the taxes I never pay taxes when shipped with EMS (reel, rod (2 pieces), lures...). Mine wasn't ordered from Digitaka so I don't know... if they use UPS, you can expect to pay taxes.
Thanks, so it's just that the spools are much more shallow. I wonder why the Japanese consumers prefer that...

So, in essence, if I wanted the equivalent (sizewise, forget line capacity of spool) of Fuego 2000a, I should get the Luvias 2004, shouldn't I? Also, for trout fishing (in streams), should I go with the 2004 or 2004H?

Is there a way to make sure the retailer will use EMS? Does anyone know? Thanks.

PittsBoy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PittsBoy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:39 am

Yep I think either the 2004 or 2004H would be the one you need. I found that when trout fishing with small size reel high ratio was a plus particularly for fast current or when fishing upstream.
What river are you fishing? (I live in the PGH area too)

aditud
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aditud » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:12 pm

PittsBoy wrote:Yep I think either the 2004 or 2004H would be the one you need. I found that when trout fishing with small size reel high ratio was a plus particularly for fast current or when fishing upstream.
What river are you fishing? (I live in the PGH area too)
It was hard to guess you lived in the area :), PittsBoy :D . Well, I travel around to find wild trout, but usually these are small streams for which I hardly need anything more than UL equipment. So, for these applications I usually go with a TD Fuego 1000a and a 6'8" Fenwick Elite Tech River Runner UL. I fish almost exclusively UL jigs (like TM) on very thin, yet strong mono (such as Stroft GTM, whose 4lb test is only 0.0047" thick, for example).

However, once in while (in the Spring and Fall) I fish larger, stocked streams such as Meadow Run DHALO at Ohiopyle, or Slippery Rock Creek in Lawrence Cty, or Indian Creek in Westmoreland/Fayette. There I like to go up from UL to L, especially in rainy seasons when the flow is consistently high and fast. I have so far been very happy with my 7'6" Fenwick Elite Tech River Runner L and Pflueger Patriarch 9530, but now I am kind of disaffected with that reel, as I need to open it up and clean it after I fish in rain or I just get some splashes on it (not to mention when it accidentally gets dunked). Apparently, as I learned on this forum, the problem it has is called binding (water gets inside, messes up the lube and gears). The sad part is that I've had the reel for way over 2 years now and I still love it. It's still impeccable when dry, but let's face it, a $200 reel should have some minimal waterproof feature... Apparently, the drag is waterproof but still...
The line I use with this equipment is Stroft GTM 5.3lb (only 0.0059" diameter, I know, huh :) ? ), so shallow spools are not a problem for me (on the contrary, less time spent backing up the main line).

So now I've been looking for a Fuego 1500a/2000a for my L applications, but it's apparently too late to get any. Thus, I'm thinking Caldia or Luvias, maybe Luvias. If the 2004 is the same size as Fuego 1500a/2000a, then that's what I need.

aditud
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aditud » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:42 am

Well, I decided against going down the JDM road :oops: . I hear that once you go that way, you never go away.

I also feel uncomfortable getting a reel I can't touch/feel before ordering it. Not to mention the service/parts issue...

But thanks for the info, anyway, very helpful. Now I guess I'll just either get a Fuego 1500/2000 if I'm lucky to find one, or keep working my Patriarch until Daiwa brings a true version of the Caldia or Luvias to the US. It's weird that they sell mid-priced, lightweight true-Zaion reels everywhere except the US, where they haven't really replaced the discontinued Fuego (what with the Procyon and Ballistic being only "covered" in Zaion).