exo reel question

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

exo reel question

Post by mark poulson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:20 am

I have two Exo reels, a 100, and a 200. Both are less than a year old.
They work like dreams.
I broke off at the reel on two hooksets yesterday on the 100 setup, and when I went to respool today I fount that a U shaped part of the brass line guide carrier assembly bushing was missing, leaving a sharp edge on each side that obviously cut my line. It looks like it has been worn away, like braid used to do on cheap reels, but I've only use 12lb BPS fluoro on that reel.
I've used braid on previous Quantum reels, and still do, and never had any problems like this.
The same assembly on the 200, which also has 12lb BPS fluoro on it, has a red plastic covering around it that extends to the outer face of the brass bushing, and shows no sign of wear.
But the 100 has a black plastic covering that stops short of the metal bushing face, so 1/16" of the metal is "unsupported".
Did I get an early version of the 100?
Has anyone else had this problem?