Straight up long distance

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Straight up long distance

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:53 am

DE_Bass_Enthusiast wrote:I throw a lot of 1/2-5/8 oz rattle baits like the Xcalibur XR-50 on a Curado 200DHSV mounted on a Crucial 6'10" MH power F action rod. Although the tip is rated a fast action it is still pretty soft. I have this spooled with 10 lb mono and I can cast as hard as I want and it absolutely bombs everything and literally never backlashes on me. I dont mind the heavy weight of the Curado because it's such a good performer. I love my Zillion and I'm not too much of a "weight weenie" :lol:
What kinda line are you using?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:35 am

Z2020H...spool speed + more line = longer overall cast for the lipless weights you mention. Also, rod is as important a factor as any reel, along with mods. Personally, I don't believe there is ANY SINGLE "best" as there are too many other factors involved.

This said, more line capacity will definitely give a longer cast given the spool is "fast", bearings and line, etc., are of high quality.

My bet is that a tuned Abu Rocket with a thin castable line like 12lb Defier on a 8 foot MH S Glass rod would beat all the reels listed here.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:06 am

I fish 1/2oz spinnerbaits quite often, and the Calcutta TE 201DC is the best reel I have ever used for bombing baits.

If there is anyone out there with a physical disability, I highly recommend a DC reel. It is really easy to make very long casts without having to put your body into it.

I can also bomb lipless cranks pretty far with my Antares AR. 8-)

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:30 am

Antares AR is great as well...pretty much on par with my TDZ Type R+ and I'ZE Light, but not quite as far as my tuned 100XR.

Unfortunately my near mint Antares AR has a levelwind problem so it is out of rotation until I can get it repaired.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:32 am

Stock Zillion modified to a crazy cranker with a HLC spool. It launches them. I have 2 TDZ's supertuned by Ian that are pretty unreal as well. That guy is a reel magician.

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:34 pm

My Metanium DC easily out distances any Chronarch or Core that I've ever owned and I've owned them all. The new 13 Metanium is close but not quite there yet in my hands. Both reels are stock compared to my upgraded Chronarchs/Cores.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:02 pm

For 1/2oz with 20lb PE, the Exsence DC. An easy win up against any of my other reels, ceramic bearing tuned reels inclusive.
Whats more, you can cast far enough not to see the splash and the PE SP mode it autobrakes on touchdown

Love2Grabbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Love2Grabbass » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:31 pm

Right now my current distance casting champ is an Ian tuned Aldebaren spooled with 20 lb suffix, it actually casts laughably long distances... Have yet to cast my new Antares DC though.
Mcyl wrote:For 1/2oz with 20lb PE, the Exsence DC. An easy win up against any of my other reels, ceramic bearing tuned reels inclusive.
Whats more, you can cast far enough not to see the splash and the PE SP mode it autobrakes on touchdown
Finally ordered one of these, should see it by Friday. Comments like yours make me more and more excited to get it on the water!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:20 pm

Mcyl wrote:For 1/2oz with 20lb PE, the Exsence DC. An easy win up against any of my other reels, ceramic bearing tuned reels inclusive.
Awesome :lol:

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:08 am

I recently bought an Exo 100, and put it on my Powell 714EF jig rod for fishing small jigs and Ikas. With 12lb BPS fluoro, I can throw it farther than any other setup I own by 50'.
It's amazing.
I fish clear water, so long casts are important.

billjaco
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by billjaco » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:26 am

Stock Curado 200BSF.

bp182
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bp182 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:02 am

X2 for my Exsence DC and a close second with my TE100DC 8-)

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:45 am

Love2Grabbass wrote:Right now my current distance casting champ is an Ian tuned Aldebaren spooled with 20 lb suffix, it actually casts laughably long distances... Have yet to cast my new Antares DC though.
Finally ordered one of these, should see it by Friday. Comments like yours make me more and more excited to get it on the water!
Yeah I found it a very nice reel for the money. Not my favourite and no leftie.
Quite heavy for a reel with less capacity than a core. But it's strengths are undeniable.
Strength of gearing for its ratio, speed and that SP cast is really something. It literally starts the DC whine only as the bait is landing. I've been casting seabass lures with it on a comparatively short 7'0 fast med pwr rod (8'4" reg action is more seabass)
Couldn't catch anything but it was certainly fun.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:50 pm

Daiwa Zillion 100SH with a HLC spool paired with the EverGreen SkyScraper TMJC 711M gets me 60 meter with a 1/2 oz lipless.

DE_Bass_Enthusiast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DE_Bass_Enthusiast » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:35 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
DE_Bass_Enthusiast wrote:I throw a lot of 1/2-5/8 oz rattle baits like the Xcalibur XR-50 on a Curado 200DHSV mounted on a Crucial 6'10" MH power F action rod. Although the tip is rated a fast action it is still pretty soft. I have this spooled with 10 lb mono and I can cast as hard as I want and it absolutely bombs everything and literally never backlashes on me. I dont mind the heavy weight of the Curado because it's such a good performer. I love my Zillion and I'm not too much of a "weight weenie" :lol:
What kinda line are you using?
10 lb Stren Monofilament