Strength testing of carbon fiber reel parts

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Strength testing of carbon fiber reel parts

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:21 am

I won't pay $279 for a composite reel that weighs 6.5 oz with 8 bb's when I can get an Exo 100, an aluminum reel that weighs 5.9 oz with 11 bb's, for $250.
The whole deal with whatever composite they use, is to save weight without sacrificing performance.
So have a composite reel that weighs more than an aluminum reel, and costs more, too, but has fewer bearings, just doesn't make sense.
At least, not to me.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:30 am

mark poulson wrote:I won't pay $279 for a composite reel that weighs 6.5 oz with 8 bb's when I can get an Exo 100, an aluminum reel that weighs 5.9 oz with 11 bb's, for $250.
The whole deal with whatever composite they use, is to save weight without sacrificing performance.
So have a composite reel that weighs more than an aluminum reel, and costs more, too, but has fewer bearings, just doesn't make sense.
At least, not to me.
I don't seem to see a lot of Quantum fans on this forum. I've never used an Exo, but for some reason they just never felt right to me when I have played with them in stores. What are their gears made of? I wish I had a friend with one so I could give one a test run just to see how it compares the mid-range Daiwa Reels I'm used to.

DaveJ

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:49 am

mark poulson wrote:I won't pay $279 for a composite reel that weighs 6.5 oz with 8 bb's when I can get an Exo 100, an aluminum reel that weighs 5.9 oz with 11 bb's, for $250.
At least, not to me.
Does that aluminum reel have the same level of refinement as a Shimano? More bearings doesn't mean much to me, the quality of bearings does. Also the precision of the gearing should be taken into consideration. I think Quantum makes a fine reel, but they're not on the same level as daiwa or Shimano. The braking on the Shimano seems to be superior as well.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:16 pm

I've fished Diawa, Shimano, and Quantum, along with Pflueger and Abu Garcia. I have tried lots of reels, all with pros and cons.
Quantum always had great ideas, like their externally adjustable centrifugal brakes, but their stuff didn't hold up, either the reel itself, or the finishes, or both.
I've just started using both the Exo 100 and the Exo 200, in a low speed reel for deep cranking. So far, I like what I've seen and felt. They are both light, easy to adjust, and cast extremely long.
As far as Shimano goes, I've still got an older Chronarch, the white one, and four of the MG 50's, and I love them all. As far as I'm concerned, their Chronarch MG 50 is the best reel for the dollar ever made, even with it's low bearing count.
I sold a newer Curado because it felt rough and loose. I think Shimano missed the boat there again when they went away from the old Curado. Maybe they're trying to make up for that with the C14+ reel.
And I can't afford comparable Diawa reels. To me, their stuff just too expensive.
Time will tell with all these new reels.
Let's all report back, both pros and cons, after a full season of fishing them.

brwn_bggr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by brwn_bggr » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:42 am

I too have an affliction for metal reels...but it's hard to discount the benefits of composite reels,in regard to corrosion resistance...they don't even know that there is salt in salt water...but as the price of reels escalate,there is still hope for the metal reel enthusiast...titanium is 60% heavier than aluminum...but is about 60% stronger...so with a slight reduction in mass of current metal reels,we could still have a LP baitcaster around 6 oz's that could thrive in salt water...at a cost...!