Cast contols for finesse...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Which cast control system devivers MAXIMUM casting distance with ultralight plastics?

Magforce Z
46%
VBS
32%
ACS
No votes
IVCB
No votes
Combination of Magnets and Centrifugal
11%
Basic magnets
11%

Total votes: 28

Bladerunner808
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Cast contols for finesse...

Post by Bladerunner808 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:08 am

I hate spinning reels. I have ONE I use for shy creek smallies. I don't like anything about them.
Which BAITCASTER CAST CONTROL SYSTEM gives the most distance?
I AM NOT INTERESTED IN...
1. Reasons why the rod is just as important (let's assume all the reels are on the ideal rod)
2. Brand/model specifics (not interested in looking for obsure discontinued reels on boards or ebay)
3. Line affecting distance (assume all systems use 8lb. mono)

IT WILL BE USED FOR... 1/4oz. (total weight) jigs up to weightless Dingers.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Cast contols for finesse...

Post by JWR075 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:23 am

I have been using the Magforce (Alpha 105), Magforce V (original Pixy) and getting ready to start using free slide 2 arm centrifugal in the Pixy SPR. So far have not had any issues with either the Magforce or Magforce V. I picked the Magforce Z since it is closest to what I am using. I think that for what you are wanting 1/4 jigs and weightless dingers any of the Magforce models would work fine.

fishsmart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishsmart » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:45 am

For light lure weights, you can switch to the smoke colored weights on the Shimano reels and it helps somewhat. Smaller diameter line is another plus.

Charles

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:39 pm

Centrifugal brake will always have a hard time pitching light stuff.

You may consider the new Daiwa SV spool with the air brake system.
Seems to give the best of finesse and medium casting abilities without stress (SV stands for Stress-free Versatile).

To JWR075,

I hope you have looked at the TT review about the SPR. This reel is not to fish jigs or frogs. It is a reel designed to cast small plugs. Not to pitch or be used with heavy braid. Once again, do not expect great pitching performance, it has a centrifugal brake system.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:26 pm

Note that Diawa spools with fixed inductors still count as basic magnets. It the moving inductor that defines v/z/air/sv

With that in mind the majority of finesse casters from tuning houses such as hedgehog, zpi and avail with exception of KTF have basic magnets along with MB finesse spools, revo LT/ltx/ltz reels and pixy finesse spools. I still haven't made up my mind whether variable magnet braking like mag force v and z are superior to fixed magnets for finesse purposes ( for heavier weights...that is definitely the case). In any case I can only think of 2 true finesse reels (1/8oz and lower capable) that have moving inductors that being the t3 air and KTF D27 alphas finesse custom.
However I can agree with Carlos that magnetic braking is superior to centrifugal braking for light baits as light baits will decelerate greatly towards the end of the cast where centrifugal brakes are less effective. Dual braking usually involves both centrifugal brakes and holder along with an inductor plate and hence adds to the overall spool weight. I find a magbrakes with a huge variation in braking force between max and min are the go for finesse reels.
Personally 1/4oz is the outright heaviest bait for finesse, I think 1/16-1/4oz is most appropriate.

So in essence my advice is to. Pick something with the lightest spool with braking force that an be set from barely there to a huge amount and go from there.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:33 am

Pixy Type R is excellent for the lighter stuff. It casts great and pitches even better.

husonfirst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by husonfirst » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:40 am

I'm not sure how one can conduct such an experiment. Wouldn't having all the brakes turned off give you the best distance (in which case braking system is irrelevant.)?

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:41 am

I think he meant best controllable distance.

brwn_bggr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by brwn_bggr » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:17 pm

husonfirst wrote:I'm not sure how one can conduct such an experiment. Wouldn't having all the brakes turned off give you the best distance (in which case braking system is irrelevant.)?
I would ask...even turned off,doesn't a centrifugal brake system add weight to the spool over a mag brake only system...? And doesn't that extra weight in itself slow the start up of a spool...? And that in turn is detrimental when casting lighter baits...

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:34 pm

brwn_bggr wrote:
husonfirst wrote:I'm not sure how one can conduct such an experiment. Wouldn't having all the brakes turned off give you the best distance (in which case braking system is irrelevant.)?
I would ask...even turned off,doesn't a centrifugal brake system add weight to the spool over a mag brake only system...? And doesn't that extra weight in itself slow the start up of a spool...? And that in turn is detrimental when casting lighter baits...
Yeah but daiwas have an inductor as part if spool as do Abus.
Only avail spools use the spool itself as the inductor.

brwn_bggr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by brwn_bggr » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:05 pm

Mcyl wrote:
brwn_bggr wrote:
Yeah but daiwas have an inductor as part if spool as do Abus.
Only avail spools use the spool itself as the inductor.
Thanks man...! I understand...but does that not further make the point that the braking system is "very" relavent in the ability of a reel to cast a given distance...?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:45 pm

Centrifugal braking systems have to always be 'on' so to speak in order to have controllable casting for the vast majority of people, excluding those with the best of thumbs. The dynamic magnetic systems from Daiwa seem to be the best bet for finesse out of what is currently available because the inductor only applies braking after the spool has reached a certain speed, allowing for a much quicker startup before the force is implied. It seems to me that Shimano could create the ultimate finesse system with their DC system, if they chose to. Can you imagine an Aldeberan BFS DC? The spool could reach astronomical speeds and the computer would apply just the right amount of braking to keep your tiny luring flying. In my mind, nothing else would come close if it was done right. Sadly, it seems that Shimano is kind of steering away from the DC stuff for the near future.

TravHale
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TravHale » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:54 am

I think there are a lot of variables to consider... Variables that are not only limited to the breaking systems offered by today's reel manufactures. There should also be consideration placed on an individuals casing style and expectations. In other words, what works best for one person may not benefit another, or could in fact be detrimental to them. Folks should keep that in mind when looking at this poll.