Chronarch d

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Chronarch d

Post by Afrayedknot » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:35 pm

How good is the chronarch d? Is it better than jdm shimano reels such as the scorpion? Everyone raves about the reel, and I am curious why..
Thanks

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Chronarch d

Post by USA-RET » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:47 pm

Basically an aluminum Core 100. Is it better than a Scorpion XT1000? :-k

Really depends on how you measure better. Price-wise and where it falls (fell) in the Shimano line, yes it's better. Will it blow the XT1000 away on the water - no! (the Core 50MG7 certainly did blow the XT1000 away IMO).

Basically comes down to personal taste and preference. At a certain point it's "hair-splitting" comparisons we each use to justify our position (and then someone else to point out the error of our ways). :lol:

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:45 am

crankenstein1 wrote:How good is the chronarch d? Is it better than jdm shimano reels such as the scorpion? Everyone raves about the reel, and I am curious why..
Thanks
I have a D7 and i can tell you its an awesome reel casts really well and its smooth, but the biggest thing for me is that its predictable so I know what its going to do before I do it.
Is it better than the scorpion ? I would say yes after all a Scorpion is just a Curado with added Japanese features
and the D7 is made in Japan.
But I don't think it will be easy to get a pristine specimen.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:47 am

crankenstein1 wrote:How good is the chronarch d? Is it better than jdm shimano reels such as the scorpion? Everyone raves about the reel, and I am curious why..
Thanks
For me, it palms very well and is very, very forgiving. It seems to have very tight tolerances that are boosted out by the aluminum frame and brass gearing. It casts like a beast and has a good drag power. The frame has lots of nice curves and few edges, which enhances the experience (for me). The spool is not super light, but the tolerances make it ok for casting lighter stuff, similar to the Calais 100. Add a yumeya spool and it's a world-class finesse bait caster. Aesthetically, it's modern without looking like a ride got pimped, and the color is kind of cool. The finish on it is great, like most Shimano low profile reels, and I wish Daiwa would take some lessons from it.

The big thing that tends to stand out is that out of the box, at that price point, it's about as silky-smooth as it gets. It is a great example of the whole Shimano "buttery smooth" experience that many of us like...you have to jump up to the Calais/Antares and DC platforms to match or better it.

It tends to score very high with a large number of anglers who appreciate these kinds of things. It is one of those "Top 10" reels for a lot of folks...everybody should have one. ;)

So yeah, I like them. :lol:

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:27 pm

WoodT wrote:
Thanks
For me, it palms very well and is very, very forgiving. It seems to have very tight tolerances that are boosted out by the aluminum frame and brass gearing. It casts like a beast and has a good drag power. The frame has lots of nice curves and few edges, which enhances the experience (for me). The spool is not super light, but the tolerances make it ok for casting lighter stuff, similar to the Calais 100. Add a yumeya spool and it's a world-class finesse bait caster. Aesthetically, it's modern without looking like a ride got pimped, and the color is kind of cool. The finish on it is great, like most Shimano low profile reels, and I wish Daiwa would take some lessons from it.

The big thing that tends to stand out is that out of the box, at that price point, it's about as silky-smooth as it gets. It is a great example of the whole Shimano "buttery smooth" experience that many of us like...you have to jump up to the Calais/Antares and DC platforms to match or better it.

It tends to score very high with a large number of anglers who appreciate these kinds of things. It is one of those "Top 10" reels for a lot of folks...everybody should have one. ;)

So yeah, I like them. :lol:

I totally agree with everything that has been said for the chronarch D. The scorpion cannot compare to the chronarch D. It's actually my favorite shimano reel next to my calcutta 50te gt. Enough cannot be said about the reel's smoothness. In my opinion, this is one of the best low profile reels in regards to a total package for looks, durability, tolerance, etc. I use my chronarch D for every technique and it excels at all of them.

LITTLE T
Angler
Angler

Post by LITTLE T » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:56 am

A true workhorse reel like stated above. I have 5 and they can do it all. Excellent skipping reels also. I don't think there is a better all around reel out there. They are in high demand. They don't last but a few hours when you see one come up for sale.

Big Al
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Big Al » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:41 am

Yes a great reel indeed. BUT, if you're looking for a lighter, smaller profile in a Shimano, the Scorpion 1000XT is the reel. I have three of them and I will tell you I can tell the difference from my Chronarch 50E's and the Curados that I owned. It is worth the extra money.

Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Nytron » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:58 pm

A Curado/Chronarch 50e and Core 50mg7 outperforms the Chronarch D for pitching lightweight stuff. The D series was aluminum with brass gears IIRC, so it had a smooth retrieve feel. So, if you're using the reel to move a medium/large sized spinnerbait or crankbait, the D series was preferable.