Which Calcutta

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
sailrepair
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Which Calcutta

Post by sailrepair » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:16 am

Hi

I have read through a lot of posts but am still no nearer making a decision.

I have narrowed my choice down to the following 3 reels which with shipping to the UK are 200B $265, 200GTB $344 or a 200D for $380.

The reel is for use on a paddleboard mainly in salt water and mainly trolling but occasionally casting (when on holiday). So while I keep the reels out of the water they do get splashed and in the back of my mind is the fact I might one day drop it over the side. So which to go for?

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Which Calcutta

Post by MondayMonkey » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:29 am

I loved my US 200D before I sold it kind of wish I'd have kept it but it was gathering dust so it went bye bye. Amazing reel and the size to power ratio is crazy. The reel is even better when you upgrade to Boca OS and knob bearings. I'd had used mine for a deep cranker on a glx heavy crank rod. It would do trolling well and casted really well.

All that being said though I wouldn't pay $380 for one I bought mine on sale for $280. At $300 or less the reel is a steal at over it's a decent value.

Never took mine into the salt for light fishing in the bay and close shore kayak/surfboard fishing I use a Revo Toro, Luna, or Pluton. All of which I love. I'd put the 200D above my luna below my pluton and equal to my toro (beast in the salt) in satisifaction.

edit:: just noticed you're in UK

sailrepair
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by sailrepair » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:54 am

Yes you can't get right hand reels in that size over here so I have to pay quite a bit for shipping and import tax.

Thanks for the feed back.

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:30 am

sailrepair wrote:Hi

I have read through a lot of posts but am still no nearer making a decision.

I have narrowed my choice down to the following 3 reels which with shipping to the UK are 200B $265, 200GTB $344 or a 200D for $380.

The reel is for use on a paddleboard mainly in salt water and mainly trolling but occasionally casting (when on holiday). So while I keep the reels out of the water they do get splashed and in the back of my mind is the fact I might one day drop it over the side. So which to go for?

For that price, I'd go with the calcutta 200D reel. If you hook into larger fish like I did when I caught a 42lb yellowfin tuna during my trip to mexico, the x-ship in my calcutta 200D made it easier to reel in the fish. It gives you quite a bit of leverage against these bigger fish. I would say, go find a calcutta te reel which is solidly built, but the next option would definitely be the calcutta D for now.