daiwa's TWS and braided line

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
daiwa_fan_91
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

daiwa's TWS and braided line

Post by daiwa_fan_91 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:24 pm

So I tried looking for this in the forums but couldn't find it.....does it matter what line you use on a T3 for casting distance? I hear braid doesn't cast as far on bait casters because it is more rough then say mono and the roughness slows the line down. I am thinking that the TWS would make this a non issue unless you are using a micro guide rod since the TWS allows the line to freely fly off the reel. Thoughts on this or maybe personal experience?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: daiwa's TWS and braided line

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:56 pm

In my exp. braid flies compared to any other line, regardless as to the reel or rod guides. It has no memory. The only non braided line I've come across that casts "almost" as well - Shooter Defier

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:49 pm

I agree with Hogsticker. Since I started using baitcasters in the early 90's I have almost exclusively used braid. I started with Spiderwire Fusion (I miss that line, though not a true braid I guess), went to Spiderwire Stealth, and now use some variant of Power Pro. Casting has never been an issue at all, even with 50lb PP. The biggest negative with Braid is it can be noisy on the retrieve, loses sensitivity in cross winds on slack line presentations, and is more visible to fish (easily solved with a flourocarbon or mono leader).

15lb power pro will probably cast as far as anything you can buy while still being pretty durable. Honestly, I rarely use anything lighter than 30lb since it is so thin and castable. The extra strength just gives me peace of mind.

DaveJ
Last edited by IlliniDawg01 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:40 pm

The only problem you find with braid is the leader knot. ESP. Passing thru micros and the tws.

branover
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by branover » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:35 am

I run braid with leaders on all my casting reels, including a few of the T3 family. Never had an issue and would never personally stray from braid.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:12 am

Mcyl wrote:The only problem you find with braid is the leader knot. ESP. Passing thru micros and the tws.
The Albright leader knot will run easily through all but the tiniest of micro guides. My leaders don't normally reach the spool so I can't speak to how well the TWing might handle them.

DaveJ

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:49 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Mcyl wrote:The only problem you find with braid is the leader knot. ESP. Passing thru micros and the tws.
The Albright leader knot will run easily through all but the tiniest of micro guides. My leaders don't normally reach the spool so I can't speak to how well the TWing might handle them.

DaveJ
Depends on leader size, I've run up to 30-50lb combos. FGs with a ramped cut in the leader works well then

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:35 am

Mcyl wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote:

DaveJ
Depends on leader size, I've run up to 30-50lb combos. FGs with a ramped cut in the leader works well then
Good point. I haven't run that heavy of line on any rods with micros. I suppose some Frogging or Heavy Flipping setups might have that heavy of line and micros.

DaveJ