Core vs steez

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Yetti
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Core vs steez

Post by Yetti » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:37 am

Is one better than the other I have 3 cores and there awesome . I'd like to get a steez with that said what's the good, bad and ugly on a diawa power house .

Lucky1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Core vs steez

Post by Lucky1 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:11 am

I don't want to be negative about Daiwa, I think some of there products are great. The Steez baitcasters on the other hand never were good to me. I had quite a number of them through the years and with the exception of one or two, they all failed me at some point. I always had problems with the line guide binding and never found a solution. I purchased two cores very early on this year and have had no problems what so ever. Both reels are Magnesium, both lay line on a spool. After that its about performance and feel. Everyones different but I was so happy about the performance of the Cores that I bought 3 additional Curado 50E's and now just ordered a couple of 2013 Metaniums. I now fish a little more seriously and I need equipment that works, not look pretty on the shelf. If your a collector, everything should be considered. If your a serious fisherman, get a core. Let the verbal abuse begin!. lol :D ;)

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:57 am

i have 3 steez and a megabass is63 and have never had problems mechanically. i've owned a few cores but sold them. To each there own, it's personal preference. as for performance and durability i feel the steez is better than the core.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:46 am

Lucky1 you have your opinions like the rest of us.

I got rid of all my Core's and got Steez's. I have had some of my Steez for years and I used to be a hardcore tournament guy. Till this day I have had no problems with mine. I use them from everything to worms, jigs and reaction baits and not one issue.
The Core to me doesn't compare to the Steez but that is my opinoin.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:46 am

I have both. Love em both (50MG7 & Steez 103/100). Very similar in overall performance. Have nothing negative to say about either reel other than Daiwa's higher price point ($369 vs $600 retail). :shock:

Daiwa provides a bit better "on the fly" brake adjustments than the Core, but in most cases my setting are basically "set and forget" for both.

You can still pick up the older Steez (which is for all intents and purpose, the same as the newer models) for around the retail price of a new Core.

As with any competing brands, you will hear good and bad about both. As a TT member, you should :D sample a Steez and decide for your self.

I have to commend Shimano for maintaining the price point of the Core (and their other USDM reels) even when the JPY and Dollar got way out of whack (where Daiwa raised their prices incrementally to compensate for the disparity).

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:39 am

I also have both, 2 core 50's and 2 steez's (100, 103). I put orange seals in the Core's and had spool bearing installed and shaft ends polished on the Steez's by member e_bassfisher. Both have been dead reliable reels and I fish them both a lot, but I would not buy another steez. The Core 50's are just easier to live with because they get the job done just as well and are much less fussy reels. Get them both casting well with no wind and then start tossing into or across a mild breeze, and the Steez is likely to blow up on you. The core, very doubtful. And the core usually only needs a tiny adjustment on the spool tension to make up for a big wind. The Steez is likely to need 2-3 clicks on the spool and that many or more on the mag brakes.

romans
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by romans » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:16 am

In my experience daiwa`s are just more fussy than shimano`s

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:32 am

romans wrote:In my experience daiwa`s are just more fussy than shimano`s
agreed thats why I sold my steez and went on to be a shimano whore

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:01 am

I have 1 older steez, 1 newer EX steez and 2 IS steez.. all are phenominal reels and i have never had any issues with either. I have had other old steez reel and never has any issues with those either. With any reel, could be a user error if you are having issues. I was an all out shimano guy and had the US core & JDM core.. i never had any issues with those but i always felt like the gears were grindy in a way, both of them. Once i switched over to a steez it was smooth sailing!

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:16 am

I have both and really like both...I grew up Shimano and didn't venture over to any Daiwas until a few years ago. That being said, the Steez 100SHA has become my favorite bottom bait reel. From my observations, the "fussiness" claims regarding these reels, stems from the Steez 103s Magforce V braking system. It is more "fussy" then the 100 series, an its Magforce Z...

One thing to consider, which is what steered me toward the Steez to begin with, is line capacity. For line, say 16-25, especially 20lb. and larger, the line capacity of the Steez 100 is very nice, when compared to the Core variants. With the Steez, you are able to maintain an IPT closer to the spec on a long cast, than you can the Core. I really like the Core for 12-16lb. line...for 16+lb line, I use the Steez.

They are both great reel, and both have their strengths and many followers...That's just my 2 cents, from someone that fishes, and has fished, a TON of Shimanos, but has a huge appreciation for the Steez 100SHA...

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:44 am

Both are great reels but the Core 50 has been more reliable and less fussy. Only reason I didn't like the Steez was the breaking and not saltwater safe. Price also seems way to high to me. If wanting to try one, now is the time. Some great prices out there.

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:33 am

have a set of the older steez' and the newer core 50's.

the steez seems sturdier and smoother pulling the heavier baits, tho I suspect the core's 7:1 gear may be more the teller of that tale over the 6:1 in the steez' I own...for that reason (and ergos), I tend to use the steez' more for tip-down and the core's more for tip-up...they're both great reels and, in the years I have used them, have had zero problems with either.

not even that "fussy" thing...tho I suppose that boils down to Indian/arrow...in my hands, the steez' seem to cast a bit farther with a bit more ease.

just goes to show.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:25 am

I can't compare the two but as far as the Steez goes, if you pitch a lot, go with a 103. If you cast more, than go with a 100. I have nothing but good things to say about the Steez and it is my favorite reel to pitch with.

branover
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by branover » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:58 am

I had two Cores prior to owning any Daiwa reels. I've since sold the Cores and have a couple Steez's and a couple MB IS reels. Can't really explain it but the Steez just feels better to me. I'll agree the Core is easier to just set and go fishing but the Steez, when properly set up, outperforms the core, at least for me.
Having said that, the Core's are great reels, and you can't go wrong with one but once you learn to use a Steez there is something special about it

joeycoates
Angler
Angler

Post by joeycoates » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:30 am

So are either the Core or the Steez harder to set up and use than a Zillion? And are either much different? I get along very well with my normal run of the mill Zillion, but I have been wondering what more you get when you step up to a reel like the Steez. Seeing as how the original poster is asking for a comparison between the Steez and the Core I would have to assume that the Core is supposed to be a step up from the Zillion as well all though I do not know that.

I would like to have another nice setup and have been looking at the Steez, Core, new Chronarch, Zillion Type-R or a Pixy. I kind of jumped on this thread when I saw two of the finalists being compared. It would sound like the Core might be easier to use, but if the Steez is as easy to use as the Zillion is then I guess it would just be a matter of preference.