Reel Fast

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Reel Fast

Post by goldrod » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:35 pm

Just like the Fast and the Furious, our obsession for speed in fishing seems to be one sequel after another. Before I left I brought me a set of gears for my zillion that was 7.3:1 I wanted the 7.9:1. I wont be home for six months so that will have to do.

My question to you is how fast do you really want to go?
Where do we set the speed cutout at? Will tournaments be limited in the gear ratio? Something like nascar ( the little I know about it), every car has the same engine size and is limited by governors on the engine.

What are your thought?
I saw that red clutch reel for sale and I saw the IS79 and can't understand what you get in one you dont have in the other??? but Still they have 7.9:1 gears. Someone will come up with an 8.4:1 soon enough.

baoxlaox81
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Reel Fast

Post by baoxlaox81 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:19 pm

8.4:1?...... abu just released the revo rocket in a 9.0:1, burning in 37" per crank

bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigreddog » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:47 am

Sure, they'll come out with something faster with more inches per turn. \:D/

But then you'll have to add a longer handle to maintain power. :-k

But a longer handle means your hand travels in a bigger circle to complete a turn, so your crank speed drops... ](*,)

I think the real way to optimize is to focus on the angler: What handle length is ergonomically most efficient for you, given your biomechanical make-up and all the effort you've devoted to training yourself to turn a crank. Based on this, choose an appropriate gear ratio that balances your need for speed and power, based on the technique.

It's literally like riding a bicycle. You have one crank length, but you choose your gear based on what you need at the time.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:37 am

to what end, how fast is enough

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:07 pm

goldrod wrote:to what end, how fast is enough
It's marketing "one-upsmanship"...what is actually tangible on the water in so far as a true performance gain or advantage after a certain IPT, is probably not as applicable as many would like to think.

Otherwise ultra-high gear ratios are a marketing tool after a certain point of the mid-high 7s:1, IPT is where it really matters IMO. If the user really wants a high IPT, most bigger spool spinning reels in the 6.sumpfin:1 gear ratios will literally blow away most BCs.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:45 pm

I much prefer a more versatile ratio than the fastest. Gimme a 6.3:1 and I can use it for anything!!

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:44 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:I much prefer a more versatile ratio than the fastest. Gimme a 6.3:1 and I can use it for anything!!
couldn't agree more.

I've got one 7.1 (31 IPT) reel and it's definitely as high as I will use. Might buy another one in the future, but only after I've picked up several more mid/low 6's

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:20 pm

It's a free market. Innovate a product, let the consumer decide if it's valid.
The last thing I need is someone else telling me I don't need something else.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:15 am

I think the last thing I need is someone telling me I do need something else. :lol: :lol:

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:58 am

Yes I suppose in our weaker moments, that can be an issue as well.
There is a old European guy that comes into my grocery store and always regales me with tales of living under communism. How you would go THE store, and ask for THE potatoes, THE chocolate, THE beer, because the government has already decided what you do, and don't need.
Along with that was supposed to be the right to have a say in what was procured and sold, since the people were the government. In his words, "and look how that worked out".

basskeeter1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basskeeter1 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:21 am

smalliesteve wrote:I think the last thing I need is someone telling me I do need something else. :lol: :lol:

That's good! Well said.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:18 am

I think this might be some consumers saying the product's not valid.

I also didn't hear anyone suggest that gear ratios should be regulated. :lol:

romans
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by romans » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:10 pm

In my opinion,we are already fast enough. The 7:1 ratio is plenty fast for me.

DBOULAIS
Angler
Angler

Post by DBOULAIS » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:54 pm

Ok, just shoot me now for saying this. I want electric winch retrieval. I'm old enough that my wrists do not like the repetitive motion and I have little grip strength left. Give me a spring loaded lever on the side of the reel to control retrieval speed.

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:40 am

BucketHunter wrote:Yes I suppose in our weaker moments, that can be an issue as well.
There is a old European guy that comes into my grocery store and always regales me with tales of living under communism. How you would go THE store, and ask for THE potatoes, THE chocolate, THE beer, because the government has already decided what you do, and don't need.
Along with that was supposed to be the right to have a say in what was procured and sold, since the people were the government. In his words, "and look how that worked out".
You crack me up Buck :lol: That reminded me of the soup nazi in Seinfeld. But don't you ever wonder that choice is merely an illusion? You just have a bigger selection, a bigger THE store?