Baitcaster for distance

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Angler
Angler

Baitcaster for distance

Post by 9660 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:28 pm

Hey guys, i've been away from fishing scene for quite a bit. Currently i'm looking for a new baitcaster and am quite set on getting a conquest 100. Just curious, for the same price, is there a better reel i can get that serves my main needs of being saltwater friendly and capable of getting me those solid long casts. Distance is key in where i fish. I usually fish with 1/4-1oz lures. Drag and line cap wise, i'm going for the 100 size. I've heard that the ryoga and zillion typeR are on par if not better than the conquest, is this true? After all, the conquest is relatively old now, but i'm thinking if nothing's wrong with it, why fix it, right? My back-dated mind is still telling me conquest is king.

takrat 67
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Baitcaster for distance

Post by takrat 67 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:35 pm

Mate, if that's what you want then I say go for it, get the Conquest. However if really long casts are what you need you may be better off thinking about good solid spin reel. I know you blokes in the US love your baitcasters, but they don't really excel at really long casts, particularly with only a quarter ounce weight. for this sort of work the longest casting BC reel I know of would be the ABU Ambassaduer C3.
JD

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:22 pm

9660 wrote:Hey guys, i've been away from fishing scene for quite a bit. Currently i'm looking for a new baitcaster and am quite set on getting a conquest 100. Just curious, for the same price, is there a better reel i can get that serves my main needs of being saltwater friendly and capable of getting me those solid long casts. Distance is key in where i fish. I usually fish with 1/4-1oz lures. Drag and line cap wise, i'm going for the 100 size. I've heard that the ryoga and zillion typeR are on par if not better than the conquest, is this true? After all, the conquest is relatively old now, but i'm thinking if nothing's wrong with it, why fix it, right? My back-dated mind is still telling me conquest is king.
The conquest being a round reel has the levelwind relatively close the to the spool, hence creates larger angles in which the line has to turn in order to pass through the levelwind. This in turn increase friction and with that costs distance. Takrat is correct in regards to spin reels being a better reel for casting distance however to some users, myself including distance alone is not enough to replace a BC reel with a spinner. In this case a reel with minimal line angle is likely to give you the best results. Reels that come to mind would be the tatula, t3 ballistic, mx, 1016 (equipped with T-wing) and the new chronarch ci4 and metanium which have a longer than typical distance between the levelwind and spool. In terms of eases in performing long casts I found the DC reels such as the Exsence DC very effective, dialed in correctly that reel is simply phenomenal in control and distance.

What rod are you planning to use for this purpose?

Angler
Angler

Post by 9660 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:25 am

takrat 67 wrote:Mate, if that's what you want then I say go for it, get the Conquest. However if really long casts are what you need you may be better off thinking about good solid spin reel. I know you blokes in the US love your baitcasters, but they don't really excel at really long casts, particularly with only a quarter ounce weight. for this sort of work the longest casting BC reel I know of would be the ABU Ambassaduer C3.
JD
hey, really appreciate the reply man, definitely will research on the abu c3. although, i'm not american, i'm from south-east asia, sinagpore! maybe there's a difference in preference in the place we come from, but the fishing scene in my country always favour baitcasters for distance, even for the now-obsolete plug casting competitions. the "go-to" for distance was to get some ceramic bbs and take the brakes off for those feeling ballsy. nonetheless, thanks for the reply! love how warm you guys are towards sharing!

Angler
Angler

Post by 9660 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:34 am

Mcyl wrote:
9660 wrote:Hey guys, i've been away from fishing scene for quite a bit. Currently i'm looking for a new baitcaster and am quite set on getting a conquest 100. Just curious, for the same price, is there a better reel i can get that serves my main needs of being saltwater friendly and capable of getting me those solid long casts. Distance is key in where i fish. I usually fish with 1/4-1oz lures. Drag and line cap wise, i'm going for the 100 size. I've heard that the ryoga and zillion typeR are on par if not better than the conquest, is this true? After all, the conquest is relatively old now, but i'm thinking if nothing's wrong with it, why fix it, right? My back-dated mind is still telling me conquest is king.
The conquest being a round reel has the levelwind relatively close the to the spool, hence creates larger angles in which the line has to turn in order to pass through the levelwind. This in turn increase friction and with that costs distance. Takrat is correct in regards to spin reels being a better reel for casting distance however to some users, myself including distance alone is not enough to replace a BC reel with a spinner. In this case a reel with minimal line angle is likely to give you the best results. Reels that come to mind would be the tatula, t3 ballistic, mx, 1016 (equipped with T-wing) and the new chronarch ci4 and metanium which have a longer than typical distance between the levelwind and spool. In terms of eases in performing long casts I found the DC reels such as the Exsence DC very effective, dialed in correctly that reel is simply phenomenal in control and distance.

yeah i cant help to agree, personally i found the tws really revolutionary and groundbreaking, was THIS close to getting a t3 then news came about the tatula. then after its debut, i really wished it was priced at the US$500 instead.. what about the antares? (its a series on it own, right? like, it isnt the jdm version of something else which would then make me look like an ass) i've heard some news that the antares can really allow a lure to go far.

planning to pair it with a majorcraft day's, DC-62M, though the blanks has gotten a bit "softer".

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:18 am

9660 wrote:
Mcyl wrote:

yeah i cant help to agree, personally i found the tws really revolutionary and groundbreaking, was THIS close to getting a t3 then news came about the tatula. then after its debut, i really wished it was priced at the US$500 instead.. what about the antares? (its a series on it own, right? like, it isnt the jdm version of something else which would then make me look like an ass) i've heard some news that the antares can really allow a lure to go far.

planning to pair it with a majorcraft day's, DC-62M, though the blanks has gotten a bit "softer".
The antares is a JDM of the discontinued usdm calais. There is a usdm calais DC though (usdm of antares dc).

Angler
Angler

Post by 9660 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:46 am

Afrayedknot wrote:
9660 wrote:
Mcyl wrote:

The antares is a JDM of the discontinued usdm calais. There is a usdm calais DC though (usdm of antares dc).
arghhh thanks! guess i'm still partly an ass ](*,)

Angler
Angler

Post by 9660 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:48 am

one thing that i still cant wrap my mind around. can a ryoga really match the distance of a conquest? if thats the case, then drag and gear ratio is just going to make the ryoga an obvious choice..

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:22 am

I own a CQ 101DC & the Lin10 (sweet version of the Ryoga 1016L). I fish inshore and use baits from 3/8 to over a 1/2 oz. I can easily cast over 60 yards using either reel with 1/2 oz. baits. I also own a couple of CQ 51 which is the smaller version of the CQ 100/101. If weight is important to you the CQ 100 is lighter than the Ryoga. Both are built like tanks and will last a lifetime if cared for properly. I agree with you if drag & gear ratio mean more to you that the Ryoga is a winner. I also own a Calais 201DC that can cast a great distance, fits my medium size hands perfectly and is comfortable fishing with all day long. With a good reel I believe the rod will be more of a determining factor as far as distance goes then the difference between any of the reels you’re considering.

Angler
Angler

Post by 9660 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:46 am

lpquick wrote:I own a CQ 101DC & the Lin10 (sweet version of the Ryoga 1016L). I fish inshore and use baits from 3/8 to over a 1/2 oz. I can easily cast over 60 yards using either reel with 1/2 oz. baits. I also own a couple of CQ 51 which is the smaller version of the CQ 100/101. If weight is important to you the CQ 100 is lighter than the Ryoga. Both are built like tanks and will last a lifetime if cared for properly. I agree with you if drag & gear ratio mean more to you that the Ryoga is a winner. I also own a Calais 201DC that can cast a great distance, fits my medium size hands perfectly and is comfortable fishing with all day long. With a good reel I believe the rod will be more of a determining factor as far as distance goes then the difference between any of the reels you’re considering.
sweet! nothing better than a first hand account. dude the amount of high end reels you have :shock: my current and only setup, a majorcraft day's pair with a 7 y/o TD Sol. about time for an upgrade, but the cash limits of a student limits me to just having one single big-ticket reel. hence my apprehension to just commit to the conquest. really helpful reply, my friend. one last favour, with the ryoga on one side of the equation and the conquest on the other, should i now ignore the zillion typeR? for the purpose of luring from the shore, thus requiring the distance. drag and ratio aren't thatttt vital(due to my luck with fish size, plus i'd love a drawn out battle)

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:26 am

Sorry no experience using the zillion typeR. You’re on your own there. Please share your decision and your comments on your 1st big ticket reel. The dark side welcomes you!

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:07 am

Check out the Exsence DC and the t3MX if the budget is in mind. You find there is a significant difference in length of casts to reels like the conquest. I owned and fished both, I've now sold the DC and waiting for the left hand model to arrive. It is also built like a tank and sits in the weight range of a cq100. The MX is lighter but also a great performer although many shun its non-metal frame

Angler
Angler

Post by 9660 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:26 am

Mcyl wrote:Check out the Exsence DC and the t3MX if the budget is in mind. You find there is a significant difference in length of casts to reels like the conquest. I owned and fished both, I've now sold the DC and waiting for the left hand model to arrive. It is also built like a tank and sits in the weight range of a cq100. The MX is lighter but also a great performer although many shun its non-metal frame
Budget is around the range of the conquest. Yeahh imm one of those that got turned off by the zaion material. Almost got the t3 but didnt. Looks like my preconception of conquest being the best for distance have become old fashioned.. Times have changed... Hahaha!

Angler
Angler

Post by 9660 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:29 am

lpquick wrote:Sorry no experience using the zillion typeR. You’re on your own there. Please share your decision and your comments on your 1st big ticket reel. The dark side welcomes you!
Haha i sure will! Payday on the 5th, the countdown has begun :big grin:

knht
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by knht » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:03 pm

seriously your TD sol is in itself a great caster. Not a champion in distance casting though not that far behind either but add on an Ize's RCS spool (still on the cheap among most RCS spool) and a pair of ceramic spool bearings it will become a true all rounders. Don't waste it.

After I have my Alphas R-edition, there had been more than 30 baitcast reels that I had bought, kept and sold. Till today, every fishing trip I still find myself reaching out to Alphas more often than the others.