Anatares & Metanium (USA)

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Anatares & Metanium (USA)

Post by Cracker » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:09 am

Look's like Shimano USA doesn't check currency exchange rates anymore.
You can find Antares in low 400'sUSD, 40500-41500 yen in Japanese stores, same thing for Metanium.
EMS Japan delivery is really fast, got my recent orders in 3 days on average.

StarTzar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by StarTzar » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:50 am

Cracker wrote:Look's like Shimano USA doesn't check currency exchange rates anymore.
You can find Antares in low 400'sUSD, 40500-41500 yen in Japanese stores, same thing for Metanium.
Which Japanese store?

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:47 am

Good to know. Lot's to learn. Ahh to sell my Core's and move on to exciting new reels or sit tight and enjoy what hasn't caused me trouble in the past....got to love winter

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:36 am

StarTzar wrote:Which Japanese store?
Do search at rakuten.co.jp, amazon.co.jp there are many of them, some shops only ship to Japanese address, you have to use forwarding mail service, I have friends in Japan - use their address. The shops which ship directly to US sometimes out of stock on some of the hot reels.

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:10 pm

tenso is a freight forwarder and I think they have a promotion in conjunction with Rakuten right now

suprteck
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by suprteck » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:07 pm

StarTzar wrote:
Cracker wrote:Look's like Shimano USA doesn't check currency exchange rates anymore.
Which Japanese store?
I got mine on ebay from a japanese store for $339 shipped

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New shimano releases

Post by spookybaits » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:45 pm

WoodT wrote:
tywithay wrote: You can find them well below msrp from Japan.
...or you might wait a few weeks until November sales seasons, buy at 15-20% discount to MSRP, get the warranty and service/support, have an easy way to return merchandise, build a stronger buying relationship with your favored tackle reseller, and help increase the overall incentive for Shimano to continue this whole notion of selling JDM reels in the US. You can always just tell people you bought it from Japan. It's win-win-win-win-win-win-win. Windows 7 compatible. Something like that.
Good points. But one could counter with:
-shimano reels are never discounted 15-20% during sales, atleast officially. Shimano is always excluded.
-the reels come with warranties. The card is right there in the box.
-who needs service/warranties anyways- these are shimanos, we're not talking about daiwa here :D
- if shimano bucks the seperate usdm/jdm system, then no more super cool jdm versions. (Conquest anyone?)

I do like the 'support your favorite local seller' point. I'm just playing devils advocate a bit.

Point is, it'd be nice if we could get them here at a price point competitive to jp going rates. One Google search just yielded anteres HG for $160 less than US prices. That's a big price difference. for what? The current usdm shimanos are already being mfg & shipped from Japan, it's not like these new ones aren't coming from the same factory(s). They're just throwing some extra boxes of reels & parts on the shipment.
It just seems... backwards that we can get jdm reels that much cheaper from Japan than here in the US. :-k

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:03 am

I don't suppose those discounted price you mentioned are official JDM msrp price? Do compare apple to apples. Even with the discounted prices, your math is a bit flawed. You didn't factor in the paypal currency conversion rate difference or international transaction fee by credit card company, which is about 2.5-3% of the final amount. There is also the EMS shipping fee. It's highly unlikely, but there is the possibility of custom tax and custom clearing issue. If the option is available, I am gladly buying my Shimano locally.

Shimano USA is not bring in everything over, just the one that has higher demand. At least hat's my understanding, and what's wrong with super cool USDM instead of JDM?

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:19 am

Cracker wrote:
StarTzar wrote:Which Japanese store?
Do search at rakuten.co.jp, amazon.co.jp there are many of them, some shops only ship to Japanese address, you have to use forwarding mail service, I have friends in Japan - use their address. The shops which ship directly to US sometimes out of stock on some of the hot reels.
Auction site prices hardly reflect MSRP. This is the same for both JDM and USDM Shimano reels alike. Brand new Cores can be had on ebay for $70-$80 less than MSRP. But you don't see Shimano dropping their prices just to accomodate ebay shoppers. As with all products bought from these sites, it comes with no warranty. If you don't like to fiddle around with your reels, then this could be an issue.

Also, it's only been roughly a year or so since the value of the Japanese yen has dropped. Before that, you would be hard pressed to find any Shimano JDM reels at the prices that they are going for now on sites such as japantackle or rakuten or ebay. But what should happen if the yen bounces back? Then would we still be talking about MSRP vs. what prices we can find online? :-k 8-)

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:10 am

hobobob wrote:I don't suppose those discounted price you mentioned are official JDM msrp price? Do compare apple to apples. Even with the discounted prices, your math is a bit flawed. You didn't factor in the paypal currency conversion rate difference or international transaction fee by credit card company, which is about 2.5-3% of the final amount. There is also the EMS shipping fee. It's highly unlikely, but there is the possibility of custom tax and custom clearing issue. If the option is available, I am gladly buying my Shimano locally.
Obviously not talking about msrp, that's the point. As for your PayPal currency converters, credit card fees, etc, I've never paid any of those. (I use a debit card). Listed price + $20 shipping. The charge on my account matches the invoice, no flawed math or extra international fees. I mean, If we were talking about $20-$40, sure, nbd I'll buy local. But $150+? If you want to pay $150+ more, have at it. That's a price difference I can't shrug off.
Eh, who knows, Maybe it's not even a shimano thing, it's a dealer thing? I guess we don't really know who's aloud to discount what and why. I imagine something will change in time, US price will go down or jp price will go up.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:38 am

What do you all think would be a more fair price for the antares and metanium since they can be had for less if ordered from Japan?

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zenbassr » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:22 am

hobobob wrote:Do compare apple to apples.
i agree, and in this case i think this should be an MSRP comparison of equivalent JDM and USDM models.

what's the point of comparing MSRP to grey market pricing?

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:54 am

phatbass wrote:
MTBF wrote:Seems like a good spot to ask this. What are the gears made of in both the Anatares & Metanium in the 7.4:1 and 8.5:1 gear ratio's.
Thinking of trying a few of these out, would these handle 65lb and frogging better than my Core 100MgFV, I want more line pickup just not sure how strong these reels are, I know they will handle everything else.
metanium has aluminum gears and the antares has brass gears
Hmm interestering, I got a email back from Shimano. They said all the Metanium's have a Brass pinion gear and yes Aluminum main gear. For durability and overall strength I think Antares is the answer for a new reel :)

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:05 am

The flaw with the MRRP argument is that discounted prices are always advertised and available in Japan, not so in the States, not so in Australia.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:53 pm

Hmmm...looks like a USDM NEW Antares is calling my name this Holiday Sale Season. Hope the discounts will apply! 8-)