Anatares & Metanium (USA)

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New shimano releases

Post by zenbassr » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:17 am

johnnybassboat wrote:Only difference is now you can get it locally.
i think having a warranty and after-purchase support is a big difference...

bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Anatares & Metanium (USA)

Post by bassm1n » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:17 am

I tried both the MET and the Antares. I used the METS only a few times and it started making a whirring noise. Found the instructions about cleaing and lubing the spool after every use. Tried it and it stopped for a while but turned me off that you needed this degree of maintenance. I hear of similar stories coming in about the new Chronarch which has a similar brake system. However, the Antares never developed this noise and has been an absolute workhorse w/o any daily or weekly maintenane despite having the same brake setup as the MET. Maybe, I gave up on it too soon but I liked the Antares so much better despite the weight that I got a few more of those.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:17 am

bassm1n wrote:I tried both the MET and the Antares. I used the METS only a few times and it started making a whirring noise. Found the instructions about cleaing and lubing the spool after every use. Tried it and it stopped for a while but turned me off that you needed this degree of maintenance. I hear of similar stories coming in about the new Chronarch which has a similar brake system. However, the Antares never developed this noise and has been an absolute workhorse w/o any daily or weekly maintenane despite having the same brake setup as the MET. Maybe, I gave up on it too soon but I liked the Antares so much better despite the weight that I got a few more of those.
Try putting a very thin layer of light grease on the track. It should quiet the noise, and shouldn't weaken the braking power as much.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:54 am

zenbassr wrote:
johnnybassboat wrote:Only difference is now you can get it locally.
i think having a warranty and after-purchase support is a big difference...
But you paying 100 more locally

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zenbassr » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:03 am

fishingandfords wrote:But you paying 100 more locally
where are you getting your numbers from?

Shimano Japan MSRP for Metanium = 42000yen = about $432 USD
Tacklewarehouse price for Metanium = $420

Shimano Japan MSRP for Antares = 55000 yen or about $564 USD
Tacklewarehouse price for Antares = $600

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:17 am

zenbassr wrote:
fishingandfords wrote:But you paying 100 more locally
where are you getting your numbers from?

Shimano Japan MSRP for Metanium = 42000yen = about $432 USD
Tacklewarehouse price for Metanium = $420

Shimano Japan MSRP for Antares = 55000 yen or about $564 USD
Tacklewarehouse price for Antares = $600
You can find them well below msrp from Japan.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:39 am

tywithay wrote: You can find them well below msrp from Japan.
...or you might wait a few weeks until November sales seasons, buy at 15-20% discount to MSRP, get the warranty and service/support, have an easy way to return merchandise, build a stronger buying relationship with your favored tackle reseller, and help increase the overall incentive for Shimano to continue this whole notion of selling JDM reels in the US. You can always just tell people you bought it from Japan. It's win-win-win-win-win-win-win. Windows 7 compatible. Something like that.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:41 am

WoodT wrote:
...or you might wait a few weeks until November sales seasons, buy at 15-20% discount to MSRP, get the warranty and service/support, have an easy way to return merchandise, build a stronger buying relationship with your favored tackle reseller, and help increase the overall incentive for Shimano to continue this whole notion of selling JDM reels in the US. You can always just tell people you bought it from Japan. It's win-win-win-win-win-win-win. Windows 7 compatible. Something like that.
=D> =D> =D>

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:51 am

WoodT wrote:
Very well stated. Parts availability is another plus. Looks like their pictures are up on the parts site but no parts yet.

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:25 am

WoodT wrote:
shhhhhhhh! There goes the limited supply. Nothing to see here people. Nothing at all. :whistle:

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

New shimano releases

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:06 pm

WoodT wrote:
I can foretell the reviews now
My Japan bought JDM reel feels smoother casts farther than the US bought JDM reel. :big grin:

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:45 pm

No noise from my Met. yet but I dumped the Red weights in favor of the lighter weight Whites \:D/ , It cast better as well.

Kurt

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:51 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
WoodT wrote:
I can foretell the reviews now
My Japan bought JDM reel feels smoother casts farther than the US bought JDM reel. :big grin:
:big grin: because, you know, ninjas and stuff.

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:23 pm

Seems like a good spot to ask this. What are the gears made of in both the Anatares & Metanium in the 7.4:1 and 8.5:1 gear ratio's.
Thinking of trying a few of these out, would these handle 65lb and frogging better than my Core 100MgFV, I want more line pickup just not sure how strong these reels are, I know they will handle everything else.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:52 am

MTBF wrote:Seems like a good spot to ask this. What are the gears made of in both the Anatares & Metanium in the 7.4:1 and 8.5:1 gear ratio's.
Thinking of trying a few of these out, would these handle 65lb and frogging better than my Core 100MgFV, I want more line pickup just not sure how strong these reels are, I know they will handle everything else.
metanium has aluminum gears and the antares has brass gears